• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems like Weird West barely got any attention when it came out earlier this year

Man, remeber when Volcano and Dante's Peak came out at the same time?

Or Deep Impact and Armageddon?
Yes, but I definitely remember those as being distinct from one another because their names were very different. They just happened to be similar genres. If however they were named something like Dante's Peak and Dante's Summit or Deep Impact and Dark Impact, I'm pretty certain I would have confused them.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes, but I definitely remember those as being distinct from one another because their names were very different. They just happened to be similar genres. If however they were named something like Dante's Peak and Dante's Summit or Deep Impact and Dark Impact, I'm pretty certain I would have confused them.
That's basically The Asylum's entire business model, lol.

Although at least in case of those video games it's only the titles that happened to be similar. With those mockbuster movies it was a straight up rip off of whatever Hollywood blockbuster was being made at the time.

Filben

It was ultra buggy and inconsistent in its mechanical rules for me that I stopped playing.

I walked near that graveyard in town and then some zombies raised, to my surprise, and all town folk was hostile and attacked me?

Waited for patches but never got around playing it again.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's getting a current gen version, also on sale this week

guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
In the wake of the Redfall disaster it is important to note that this is the first game from ex-Arkane chief Raphaël Colantonio and a lot of other talented ex-Arkane people.
Honestly, that's what worried me the most about Redfall. Clearly he was one of the main driving forces behind the studio's creativity so without him around anymore, it's at risk of becoming just another developer of mostly soulless games, only renowned for their past glory.

Shut0wen

I was looking forward to it but got discouraged after reading a couple of bad reviews and then completely forgot about it.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll now look into it again and might just play it.

Question: To which game would you compare its combat? How does it play and feel like? (I don't want to read any more stuff about it online)
Its a decent game but like op ppinted out the combat is meh, probs its biggest flaw but a definitive edition updates comes out next week so hopegully it fixes the combat

In the wake of the Redfall disaster it is important to note that this is the first game from ex-Arkane chief Raphaël Colantonio and a lot of other talented ex-Arkane people.
I tried Weird West and hated it. I'm actually enjoying Redfall as a mid-tier AA shooter.

I'm going to try Weird West again just to make sure, but it's not amazing. I'm sure it has some deeper RPG elements, but a lot of other areas were pretty rough.

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly, that's what worried me the most about Redfall. Clearly he was one of the main driving forces behind the studio's creativity so without him around anymore, it's at risk of becoming just another developer of mostly soulless games, only renowned for their past glory.

Arkane still has Harvey Smith and that guy is a legend.

I tried Weird West and hated it. I'm actually enjoying Redfall as a mid-tier AA shooter.

I'm going to try Weird West again just to make sure, but it's not amazing. I'm sure it has some deeper RPG elements, but a lot of other areas were pretty rough.

It got a lot of [quality of life] updates over time but I doubt the basic game premise changed so much that you'll change your mind if you didn't like it initially. It's certainly not for everyone.

It got a lot of [quality of life] updates over time but I doubt the basic game premise changed so much that you'll change your mind if you didn't like it initially. It's certainly not for everyone.
Well I like to challenge myself to try new things. Sometimes you just bounce off a game and don't understand it. I've felt for a while I wanted to give it one last try just to be sure.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well I like to challenge myself to try new things. Sometimes you just bounce off a game and don't understand it. I've felt for a while I wanted to give it one last try just to be sure.
Someone already mentioned it ITT, but If you have this game on PC, one of the designers who worked on this game actually made a first person mod in his spare time and it works pretty well. Definitely makes the game feel like a more traditional immersive sim and the combat is a bit easier than from an isometric view.

Someone already mentioned it ITT, but If you have this game on PC, one of the designers who worked on this game actually made a first person mod in his spare time and it works pretty well. Definitely makes the game feel like a more traditional immersive sim and the combat is a bit easier than from an isometric view.
Nope, console. But that's interesting.

SJRB

Gold Member

Should've been first person from the start, honestly.

"Immersive sim" and "third person isometric view" are at direct odds with each other.

Roberts

Finished it when it came out on GP. Liked it a lot - gave me Fallout 1 and 2 vibes. Not without issues but I think I will play this updated version using a different approach. Something drags me back to it.

Chukhopops

Really good game, played it last year and had a blast. It’s full of excellent ideas and really ambitious for an indie.

I also really liked the way you get the good or bad ending (not gonna spoil) and how it makes sense once you understand the story.

mdkirby

I started it a few days ago, as I live arkane games, and was disappointed with how redfall turned out. Thought this may scratch the itch. It’s good, but for me it’s hugely let down by extremely limited voice acting whilst being dialogue heavy. I got bored of reading and bought midnight suns instead 🤷‍♂️. Was similar with disco elyseum. Loved the idea, but couldn’t be arsed with all the text, as soon as they released the difinitive edition fully voiced, I bought that and it one of my fav games. Same let down with norco, seems right up my street, but yeah same problem.

It’s obviously budgetary restrictions on indies and AA games, so I’m hopeful that the next wave of such titles will be able to use ai to voice their characters. It’s not like they were going to pay voice actors anyhow.🤷‍♂️

Drizzlehell

Banned
I started it a few days ago, as I live arkane games, and was disappointed with how redfall turned out. Thought this may scratch the itch. It’s good, but for me it’s hugely let down by extremely limited voice acting whilst being dialogue heavy. I got bored of reading and bought midnight suns instead 🤷‍♂️. Was similar with disco elyseum. Loved the idea, but couldn’t be arsed with all the text, as soon as they released the difinitive edition fully voiced, I bought that and it one of my fav games. Same let down with norco, seems right up my street, but yeah same problem.

It’s obviously budgetary restrictions on indies and AA games, so I’m hopeful that the next wave of such titles will be able to use ai to voice their characters. It’s not like they were going to pay voice actors anyhow.🤷‍♂️
I don't mind reading. Sometimes it works even better, especially in low-budget games, because I can just picture the full scene and voices by using my imagination, like when you're reading a book, and it's far more effective than a fully voice acted scene made on a shoestring budget.

For example, there are some lower-budgeted RPGs like Greedfall that have fully voice acted dialogue and for the most part it's some of the most boring shit ever. It's nothing compared to games like Planescape Torment or Pillars of Eternity where the writing is so vivid that it makes it really easy to picture the details in your mind. I also find it really distracting to have text on the screen and then voice actor reading it out loud anyway. I just prefer to read it at my own pace.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I don't mind reading. Sometimes it works even better, especially in low-budget games, because I can just picture the full scene and voices by using my imagination, like when you're reading a book, and it's far more effective than a fully voice acted scene made on a shoestring budget.

For example, there are some lower-budgeted RPGs like Greedfall that have fully voice acted dialogue and for the most part it's some of the most boring shit ever. It's nothing compared to games like Planescape Torment or Pillars of Eternity where the writing is so vivid that it makes it really easy to picture the details in your mind. I also find it really distracting to have text on the screen and then voice actor reading it out loud anyway. I just prefer to read it at my own pace.
Yeah I get it, it’s just not for me. If I wanted to read I’d read a book. I’m in my 40s now too so reading tons of small text 10 feet away from a tele is just a pain. I play in evenings with my wife on the sofa too, and whilst she doesn’t play many games (although she did play hogwartz) she likes to passively follow along the story whilst crocheting or playing mobile games or tiktoking. Can’t do that with just text.

I did play dredge recently and it worked with that. It told a rich narrative but using really quite minimal text, and the text was large, and meaningful.

Endless walls of small text is just a pain. I spend all day using my imagination for work, and just thinking things up when I’m just sat doing nothing. I don’t really want to be “imagining” whilst playing a game, just want to be told a good story I can interact with.

These are all me problems ofcourse. But they are one of the biggest factors in my decision to play something or not.

Edit- added to that, I do think that both ai and ue5 metahuman will have a dramatic impact on indie narrative story telling and the quality of aa games. Weak writers will be able to improve and enrich their dialogue beyond what their writing skills would allow using chatGPT, many indie games or aa games that do have voice acting are often not great voice actors, or lacked the correct direction to get the right contextual impact. Given it’s a stretch for those games to get any voice work at all, asking for extra takes because when put in game the line misses the mark etc is way beyond their budget, but the ai voice tools make that child’s play at low cost. Many indie narrative games have static characters, or opt to have a narrative pretext for why it’s a “dead world” devoid of people, a recurring theme that is obviously primarily because “characters are hard and expensive”. So meta human combined with the above tools will really empower indies imo.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I did play dredge recently and it worked with that. It told a rich narrative but using really quite minimal text, and the text was large, and meaningful.
See, that's exactly what I mean. If the developer doesn't have the resources of talent that could help them realize their ambitions, then I think it would work better to try and find a solution that would work more effectively within their limitations. Such as taking a more minimalist approach to storytelling like in this example.

mdkirby

See, that's exactly what I mean. If the developer doesn't have the resources of talent that could help them realize their ambitions, then I think it would work better to try and find a solution that would work more effectively within their limitations. Such as taking a more minimalist approach to storytelling like in this example.
Yah, check the edit on my last post. Outlines how I think that’ll be solved in the near future ;)

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Tried it again but I just can't get into it. Don't like all the reading either and aiming doesn't feel right to me. Shame cause I like the wild west and it being immersive.

Ozriel

M$FT

I wonder if somebody someday makes a plug-in or mod to use AI to turn text heavy games into ones with spoken dialogue.

Denton

I am interested, but the fact that there are 5 characters and the game is apparently way too long for its own good turns me off.

mdkirby

I wonder if somebody someday makes a plug-in or mod to use AI to turn text heavy games into ones with spoken dialogue.
I mean on pc anything is possible I guess. Someone plugged chatGPT and voice ai into Skyrim recently so you could have in world, lore relevant dynamic conversations with npc’s.

More likely would be we will eventually start seeing more games get re-releases or patches to add voice work, akin to disco elyseum.

Top Bottom