• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega and Top Gun...the interconnected world of the film and the company...for real!

VGEsoterica

The worst part about titles is sometimes they sound like clickbait...but are genuinely true. Like this! lol

While watching Top Gun: Maverick with my wife I turned to her in a scene and brought up Sega and their arcade division. After calling me a nerd (deservedly so) she said it was an interesting story.

Back in the 90s Sega got involved with Lockheed and Martin Marietta to develop the Model 2 and Model 3 arcade boards...as well as the successor console to Saturn that WOULD have been Dreamcast...before they cancelled that and moved onto the whole 3DFX/NEC competition. So much so that Martin Marietta co-developed and funded an arcade game named Desert Tank on the Model 2 board.

The Top Gun connection? 1) The same companies that make the planes you see in Top Gun made the arcade boards for Sega and 2) one Sega arcade game has a shot for shot remake of scenes from Top Gun itself

just a fun but of weird gaming history for the July 4th weekend!

PhaseJump

Banned
Op is smart, handsome and a sega fan. Would marry if not a boat.

He also uses a MiSTer.

I bet there are women's knees involuntarily buckling in all the adjacent shops, each time he meanders through a shopping mall, looking for a food court to snag some freebie ketchup packets.

Neff

The T2 connection is stronger for me, the brief segment of ABII makes it look so good it's commercial-worthy

jGawM5.gif

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
The worst part about titles is sometimes they sound like clickbait...but are genuinely true. Like this! lol

While watching Top Gun: Maverick with my wife I turned to her in a scene and brought up Sega and their arcade division. After calling me a nerd (deservedly so) she said it was an interesting story.

Back in the 90s Sega got involved with Lockheed and Martin Marietta to develop the Model 2 and Model 3 arcade boards...as well as the successor console to Saturn that WOULD have been Dreamcast...before they cancelled that and moved onto the whole 3DFX/NEC competition. So much so that Martin Marietta co-developed and funded an arcade game named Desert Tank on the Model 2 board.

The Top Gun connection? 1) The same companies that make the planes you see in Top Gun made the arcade boards for Sega and 2) one Sega arcade game has a shot for shot remake of scenes from Top Gun itself

just a fun but of weird gaming history for the July 4th weekend!

Nice thread as always.

I have another connection:
Sega and Paramount were property of the same company in the 80's... (That's why Sonic the Movie by paramount is the natural choice.)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This thread is going places, but I’ve loved your content for a while now. Earned a sub from me. However I appreciate these threads exist as I will never click the bell for anybody.

VGEsoterica

If I did this, my wife would call me a nerd and tell me to shut the fuck up.

Great video though.
she has gotten use to me talking about shit like that. Yesterday I found myself explaining the difference between ball grid array and post grid array on an IBM GPU board off a rare Konami arcade game. She just nods and probably googles divorce lawyers lolol

good thing is my FIL is an engineer so I just text him and we talk about this kind of stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom