• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

just a heads up. ugh. Anyone in the SF Bay Area interested in a Sega Dreamcast? I just saw a posting get renewed on CL after about a week. I've been convinced i dont really need a dreamcast right now .... the seller even has 3 controllers and a vmu i think.

Glowsquid

Does Metropolis Street Racer have any major gameplay differences or features not in Project Gotham Racing (beside the amazing Richard Jacques soundtrack)? Or does PGR and its sequel completely obselete it?

Is there a price that you would refuse to pay no matter what?

I have a hard time shelling out more than 50€ for an old game but seeing that games such as Cannon Spike fetch around 150-200€ makes me die a little inside.

I'm currently trying to get Illbleed for a good price but it's not easy at all.

kunonabi

Is there a price that you would refuse to pay no matter what?

I have a hard time shelling out more than 50€ for an old game but seeing that games such as Cannon Spike fetch around 150-200€ makes me die a little inside.

I'm currently trying to get Illbleed for a good price but it's not easy at all.

Not really. The space channel 5 and segagaga LEs both cost me over a hundred dollars. The only thing i did decide was not to bother with shmups. Dreamcast just has way too many super expensive ones for me to deal with.

not trying to spend more that 10 dollars on an old game
C0pdsF0XEAAfubn.jpg:orig

canocha

Anyone using RetroArch with Reicast?

I can save my games (Grandia II), but i can't load those save games because retroarch crashs with a black screen.

Does anyone know anything?

Wait, what? O_O
Is this a legit port then? I need to search on it more, this is the first time I've read about this release.

Seems like it's emulated:
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2017/03/review-emulation-analysis-breakers.html

At least it's a good port though, right? Well...not particularly. It would be a stretch of the imagination to call this a port by any criteria. What you're getting here isn't really a port at all. It's a ROM of the Neo-Geo CD version slapped onto a disk running on an unofficial fan made Neo-Geo CD emulator for Dreamcast. Yes, if you're reading this, you're probably more than capable of burning this onto a disk yourself, leaving it feeling like little more than a repro. While certainly more than playable, due to the emulator running on Dreamcast, the frame rate can't keep up to the blistering 60fps of the original version.

Galdelico

Ha, makes sense.
Seemed a bit odd that a proper legit port of Breakers didn't get any major fanfare. Props to the team for the neat package, at least.

Thanks for clarifying. ;)

Yeah, this is most definitely the Neo CD version emulated. In another thread someone asked why they didn't just do Breakers Revenge, and it's probably because BR never had a NeoCD release.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Mines should take another week or two to get here. Will post impressions then.

Any thoughts by chance?

I'm really feeling playing my Dreamcast again - but don't know the best way to play it on my 4K LCD - soon to be OLED. Looking for suggestions on the best experience, regardless of price.

The Akura is not an upscaller. It's just a more direct way to connect to a monitor/tv using HDMI. I have yet to receive mine but I'm not expecting any huge improvements over using a regular VGA port. What I do expect is better sound with less hissing.

By the way, I finally gave my launch Dreamcast a new look. The picture doesn't do it justice on how yellow it looked lol

The Akura is not an upscaller. It's just a more direct way to connect to a monitor/tv using HDMI. I have yet to receive mine but I'm not expecting any huge improvements over using a regular VGA port. What I do expect is better sound with less hissing.

By the way, I finally gave my launch Dreamcast a new look. The picture doesn't do it justice on how yellow it looked lol

That blue shell looks so fuckin good

i imagine so. i'm in the same boat as you. have you tried adjusting the potentiometer to see if that would solve your issue?

by the way, is it just me or did the nostalgia kick in or something? I popped in Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, and the game sounds AMAZING compared to my ps2, ps3, ps4 .....

EDIT: i adjusted the laser on one of the two dreamcasts i picked up and it is working fine again. pretty darn easy and quick. you might want to give it a try before plunking money down on ebay?

Greyvvolf

Who knew GunBird 2 was worth a bit lol

Just posting the what I think is the interesting stuff. Not my collection.

I started collecting Dreamcast games a while ago and passed on getting Power Stone 2 for $40 when I first started. That one still haunts me. This was before people really used eBay. Now it seems that stores are being picked clean because people are buying just to resell. I used to be able to walk into a local video game store and see quite a few rare games for decent prices. Now I walk into the same stores and they have nothing but generic games with a few rare ones for crazy prices.

Glad I started to get the games I wanted when I did. Right now I'm just looking for the last three SHMUPS that I need; GunBird 2, Giga Wing and Giga Wing 2.

Galdelico

Only the 1st game is, 2nd game is Rival Schools 2 for Dreamcast.

That's correct, but - I'm just being nitpicky :) - there are two Rival Schools games on the PlayStation. The second one is exclusive to Japan (Shiritsu Justice Gakuen: Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2) and it's more like an update to RS1, which adds Ran and Nagare to the roster, and revamps the school simulation mode.

Even though it's the real sequel to RS, Justice Gakuen on the Dreamcast is actually the third game in the series.

That's correct, but - I'm just being nitpicky :) - there are two Rival Schools games on the PlayStation. The second one is exclusive to Japan (Shiritsu Justice Gakuen: Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2) and it's more like an update to RS1, which adds Ran and Nagare to the roster, and revamps the school simulation mode.

Even though it's the real sequel to RS, Justice Gakuen on the Dreamcast is actually the third game in the series.

Didn't the DC version have a JP-exclusive simulation mode as well?

Galdelico

It did, indeed (it was more like a board game, though, rather than a school sim).
It also had a cool character creator, to be used with that mode.

Laws00

STGs are worth a grip more often than not, lol

Should have bought giga wing. nope. I thought the graphics on the cover looked like crap.

I don't think I even have it or the 2nd game burned

You would be surprised how hard it is to find Garou and Last Blade 2 in good condition...

Looking at ebay prices i'm not surprised.

Last Blade 2 was un wanted at best buy, I littery saw piles of them going for $2.50 each

Laws00

I started collecting Dreamcast games a while ago and passed on getting Power Stone 2 for $40 when I first started. That one still haunts me. This was before people really used eBay. Now it seems that stores are being picked clean because people are buying just to resell. I used to be able to walk into a local video game store and see quite a few rare games for decent prices. Now I walk into the same stores and they have nothing but generic games with a few rare ones for crazy prices.

Glad I started to get the games I wanted when I did. Right now I'm just looking for the last three SHMUPS that I need; GunBird 2, Giga Wing and Giga Wing 2.

Funny you should mention this, I love going into retro stores to see what they have its like being a kid in the candy store.

What I do not like and hate is what you said. You could go into a store and find something uncommon and rare and it's cool. People and stores have gotten hip to things and prices are crazy.

I find just going on ebay or amazon I don't have to deal with bullshit of trying to find something when they don't have it or clearly wouldn't have it. I just like socializing with people about games which is the only reason i go to these places.

Top Bottom