• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Laws00

7hH2AcO.png

TApChkQ.png

IMAGINE THAT THERE IS DOOM HERE
32XSieI.png

My 32x/Genesis2 cable is JP21 :(

AMEN BROTHER!!! A FUCKING MEN!!

sleepnaught

Hey guys, haven't played Genesis since I was a kid way back when. I've decided to start building a small retro game library with the NES, SNES, and Genesis. From what I've been reading, the Genesis console I should be after is the Model one with the High Definition Graphics lettering across the top, is that correct? Also, anything else I should be looking for?

Hey guys, haven't played Genesis since I was a kid way back when. I've decided to start building a small retro game library with the NES, SNES, and Genesis. From what I've been reading, the Genesis console I should be after is the Model one with the High Definition Graphics lettering across the top, is that correct? Also, anything else I should be looking for?

This has everything you need to know.

Also, get the Shining Force and Phantasy Star series.

BTails

Dear lord, that's a giant headache. I'll just get one and hope for the best. And I'll make sure to pick those games up :)

We're super particular about Genny/Mega Drive audio, haha. Honestly, your best bet is to pick up a High Definition Model, most of them are going to be fine. You may get a TMSS model, but honestly that doesn't affect anything except having a "Licensed by Sega" splash screen every time you turn the system on.

If you get a "non HD" model, try to see a picture of the back, and if there's a blank space next to the various hookups on the back, you're also good. If there's no blank space, then you have a bad revision.

sleepnaught

We're super particular about Genny/Mega Drive audio, haha. Honestly, your best bet is to pick up a High Definition Model, most of them are going to be fine. You may get a TMSS model, but honestly that doesn't affect anything except having a "Licensed by Sega" splash screen every time you turn the system on.

If you get a "non HD" model, try to see a picture of the back, and if there's a blank space next to the various hookups on the back, you're also good. If there's no blank space, then you have a bad revision.
Yeah, I wanted to make sure I got one with good audio so I just bought one of those. Condition looks really clean so Im pretty excited to start collecting. First order of business is Beavis and Butthead and Zombies Ate My Neighbors :)

I have a Sony Trinitron 36" TV, one of the more recent ones. But I'm trying to find a 10-13" tv I can set on my desk. Any suggestions?

Khaz

I have a Sony Trinitron 36" TV, one of the more recent ones. But I'm trying to find a 10-13" tv I can set on my desk. Any suggestions?

10-13 is tiny. I suggest 15 minimum; I have a 21 TV on my PC desk, on the side, and I find it a very good size to sit 1m away.

eXistor

Finally arrived and in better condition than I could have hoped for. The pics looked good, but it looks almost brand-new. I was actually worried it might be a repro, but it seems legit.

Kc8wuKp.jpg

Khaz

Finally, after almost two months, we can publicly present demonstrate Resident Evil 16-bit.
Work on the game was started on July 12 this year. Back then we only had a vague idea of ​​what exactly we wanted to see in the game and how it should look.
All this time work on the project has been in full swing, all the graphics had to be drawn and even more code had to be written.
In the end, we got, and we can proudly say this, a full-fledged game, albeit very short.
Similar games simply do not exist on the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis. And, there aren't that many isometric games for the console, either.
Now, based on this engine, we will try to create a full-fledged game. Naturally, we will have to work hard, but I hope that we will succeed.

1504515131_re-md-demo-1.png
1504515091_re-md-demo-7.png
1504515096_re-md-demo-3.png
1504515056_re-md-demo-5.png

http://pscd.ru/news/10086-demo-resident-evil-dlya-sega-megadrive-genesis.html

Finally arrived and in better condition than I could have hoped for. The pics looked good, but it looks almost brand-new. I was actually worried it might be a repro, but it seems legit.
Grats, looks great.

This is pretty cool. It certainly looks less scary and atmospheric given the 16 bit treatment.

I played a bunch of Alisia Dragoon today and managed to beat it. The game is awesome I was pumped when I dropped the final boss.The homing effect is a little weird at first but actually works great. Also some nice exploration to find secret areas in some of the levels.

BTails

That Resident Evil 16-Bit looks pretty sweet, even if my OCD is triggered by seeing Claire Redfield in what looks like the Spencer Mansion.

eXistor

Been playing Contra Hard Corps these last few days and man did this game go for the jugular! It's quickly become one of my favorite games of all time. I just got the first couple of endings and I have to say: the game's difficulty is a bit overrated imo, if you pay attention to the patterns you should beat it in no time. I'm actually glad they took out the unlimited continues and 3 hits to die of the original Japanese version, that would have made the game an absolute cakewalk. The only thing I wish they'd left intact was the secret level-select so that you don't have to play certain stages over and over again.

It's to Contra what Rondo of Blood is to Castlevania. The multiple paths are great and really help replayability as do the 4 different characters. The music isn't overly melodic, but it sure gets your blood pumping.

Absolutely worth whatever price you have to pay to play it. I didn't think this would be my favorite Contra, but it is.

Rydeen

Quick question: Is the JP Mega Drive power brick the same as the U.S. Genesis one? Double checking because I'm interested in a cheap Mega Drive somebody's offering, but it has no cables. I'm good on the video, but just wanted to make sure I can plug in a North American power brick without frying the console.

Quick question: Is the JP Mega Drive power brick the same as the U.S. Genesis one? Double checking because I'm interested in a cheap Mega Drive somebody's offering, but it has no cables. I'm good on the video, but just wanted to make sure I can plug in a North American power brick without frying the console.

Yeah, you can use the US one if it's the a MD1 and Genesis 1, or MD2 and Genesis 2. Doesn't work if it's a mix of 1 and 2.

sleepnaught

What are some must have Genesis exclusives or 3rd party games that are better on Genesis? I'm picking up Sonic 1-3, Streets of Rage 1-3, MK1,2,& 3, Beavis and Butthead, General Chaos, and Contra. What are some other must haves?

IrishNinja

Dear lord, that's a giant headache. I'll just get one and hope for the best. And I'll make sure to pick those games up :)

think it was addressed but if you don't get a HIGH DEFINITION one, its just a matter of checking where the port on the back is to tell you all you need to know!

Don't skimp on FM audio.

never ever

aw cool!
as someone who loved the shit out of Sweet Home, i can't wait

What are some must have Genesis exclusives or 3rd party games that are better on Genesis? I'm picking up Sonic 1-3, Streets of Rage 1-3, MK1,2,& 3, Beavis and Butthead, General Chaos, and Contra. What are some other must haves?

what all are you into?
Phantasy Star 2 & 4 if RPGs
Crusader of Centy (haha! good luck) and Beyond Oasis for action RPGs
Shining Force 1 & 2 for strategy RPGs/being a good person
there's a ton of great SHMUPs but all of them are getting up there
Strider
ToeJam & Earl
Fatal Labyrinth
Castlevania Bloodlines
Rolling Thunder 2 & 3 for Run & Guns
Alien Storm, Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer & Shinobi IIII
Castle of Illusion & Quackshot
Ristar

then there's random little stuff i dig like Crack Down, The Haunting, Rambo III, Robocop vs Terminator, Predator 2, Pulseman, Hyperstone Heist, Earthworm Jim, Trouble Shooter 2, Valis 3, Alisia Dragoon, El Viento, Moonwalker, Bonanza Bros, Decap Attack etc

sleepnaught

think it was addressed but if you don't get a HIGH DEFINITION one, its just a matter of checking where the port on the back is to tell you all you need to know!

Yeah, I picked one with that, pretty clean . No complaints about the audio and picture is pretty solid, haven't noticed any banding or rainbow effect. Other than a small scuff mark on the side, it looks almost new. Very happy with it. Headphone port is surpringly good. Completely forgot how fast cartridge games back then loaded, with the flip of a switch I'm instantly to the logos and to the title screen. Loving my purchase so far, just need to pickup some more games.

Side note: forgot how completely broken the AI is in MK2. They literally read every input and the CPU cancel out your animation in favor of theirs. Ragequit.

I've never put a significant amount of time into Alien Storm to have an opinion one way or the other.

Golden Axe was a clear favorite as a child although nowadays I tend to play other titles. I can say though that Golden Axe for the Genesis is much better than the arcade release, unfortunately. I have the PCB and the AI is completely broken. Whenever enemies get in line with you, they just stand still and attack rapidly. It's not fun.

Hopefully one day I can get Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder for a decent price.

Peltz

I've never put a significant amount of time into Alien Storm to have an opinion one way or the other.

Golden Axe was a clear favorite as a child although nowadays I tend to play other titles. I can say though that Golden Axe for the Genesis is much better than the arcade release, unfortunately. I have the PCB and the AI is completely broken. Whenever enemies get in line with you, they just stand still and attack rapidly. It's not fun.

Hopefully one day I can get Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder for a decent price.
If you're ever in NYC you can play it in the barcade in the Chelsea area. It's worth checking out. It's a fantastic game. Way better than the console iterations.

I'm currently playing the Golden Axe collection on XB1 (BC from 360). That even has the arcade version of the first game too.

But I'm just not "getting" it. Everything feels so robotic and slow. I always thought the same back in the day. Like I wanted it to be SOR with some viking type setting, but it just isn't as fun.

I too like Alienstorm over Golden Axe, but SOR beats them both easily.

Any Golden Axe fans want to chime in an explain why these got so popular?

I'm currently playing the Golden Axe collection on XB1 (BC from 360). That even has the arcade version of the first game too.

But I'm just not "getting" it. Everything feels so robotic and slow. I always thought the same back in the day. Like I wanted it to be SOR with some viking type setting, but it just isn't as fun.

I too like Alienstorm over Golden Axe, but SOR beats them both easily.

Any Golden Axe fans want to chime in an explain why these got so popular?

Golden axe might be the greatest example of "you had to be there" nastalgia. They are incredibly slow and clunky and the combat feels terrible.

I can't go back to them after being spoiled by so many other greats in the genre that wipe the floor with golden axe.

And ax battler uses... A sword... Fucking why?

Peagles

Alien Storm for Mega Drive has my favourite box art for the console.

31-alien-storm.jpg

Hell yeh. Love my JP copy!

The only game we owned as kids was a multi cart that had Alien Storm in it so I've always had a soft spot for it.

We played more Golden Axe on Master System but definitely enjoyed that too.

I'll always talk more about Alien Storm though cos I prefer the music and I feel like it's so overlooked I need to tell people about it hehe.

Leynos

If you're ever in NYC you can play it in the barcade in the Chelsea area. It's worth checking out. It's a fantastic game. Way better than the console iterations.

The arcade version of Alien Storm is one of my favorites. I really should try the home port one of these days. Silly sci-fi is my favorite setting, so I will always pick that over Streets of Rage, or Golden Axe.

Golden axe might be the greatest example of "you had to be there" nastalgia. They are incredibly slow and clunky and the combat feels terrible.

I can't go back to them after being spoiled by so many other greats in the genre that wipe the floor with golden axe.

And ax battler uses... A sword... Fucking why?

Yeah, they're difficult to get excited about these days. I was kinda there back in the early 90's. But not in 1989 when it first hit the arcades. I think those few years a lot of similar games came and blew it away.

Top Bottom