• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega has announced a Mega Drive Mini 2, including Mega CD games

Bullet Club

So Sega's big announcement is not a Dreamcast Mini.

8qE4Wdy.jpg

Sega has announced a Mega Drive Mini 2, including Mega CD games

The new mini console will be based on the redesigned Mega Drive / Genesis and will also have CD games

ueJQLmz.jpg

Sega has announced its next mini console, which will be based on the Mega Drive 2.

The Mega Drive Mini 2 will include 50 Mega Drive and Mega CD titles, including arcade ports and what Sega describes as a “mysterious new work”.

The console was announced during a Japanese Sega live stream, which at the time of writing is still ongoing.

The list of games confirmed for the console so far is as follows:
  • Silpheed (Mega CD)
  • Shining Force CD (Mega CD)
  • Sonic CD (Mega CD)
  • Mansion of Hidden Souls (Mega CD)
  • Popful Mail (Mega CD)
  • Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
  • Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
  • Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
  • Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
  • Magical Taruruto (Mega Drive)
  • Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive port)
The original Fantasy Zone was never released on the Mega Drive. The version on the Mega Drive 2 Mini is a new Mega Drive port based on its sequel, Super Fantasy Zone.

The Mega Drive Mini 2 will be released on October 27 in Japan and will cost ¥9,980 ($75). Sega has yet to confirm a western release.

The first Mega Drive Mini was released in 2019 and included 42 games, with the libraries differing per region. It included new ports of Darius and Tetris, which had never been released before.

Sega teased the announcement last week with a photo of a chocolate cake shaped like a Mega Drive / Genesis controller.

Yosuke Okunari, who co-hosted the Mega Drive Mini 2 announcement, suggested in October 2020 that Sega’s next mini console could have been based on the Sega Dreamcast.

In an interview with Famitsu magazine following the Japan-only release of the Game Gear Mini, Okunari said he wanted the next project to deliver hardware that had stronger global potential.

“I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini,” he said. “If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini.”

Source: Gematsu

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Curious what the "new work" will be. A new Fantasy Zone port is a pretty cool idea, too.

SkylineRKR

I'll pass, I have Project Lunar on my old Megadrive Mini. But this likely means the MD2 is going to have much more storage? Might be interesting for some.

Silpheed, Shining series, Sonic Cd are all really good.
I have the Popful Mail Cd and never finished it. The game was one of the first to have animated portraits with gerbil speech.
I never knew a cd version of fantasy zone existed. Edit again I see its a new game.

Last edited:

nbkicker

I would have preffered a mini dreamcast or mini saturn, dont need this when the original mini megadrive you could modify to add more megadrive games, mega cd games and 32x games to run perfectly

Teslerum

Why don't they make a Master System mini? Or a Saturn mini, so I can play Shinning Force 3?
Since I doubt they would go through the effort of translating the whole of Shining Force 3, this seems ripe for complaints when it comes to the western release.

I'm surprised a Lunar game isn't immediately on this.

If this comes out in America, it might be a good opportunity to have the english version of Snatcher pop up in the market again.

The "cream of the crop" CD games will probably be mostly represented here very quickly, so the "mysterious new work" is probably what's best to look forward to. There were interesting picks before.

lachesis

Funny that it's disappointing and yet exciting at the same time too!
I will most likely buy - but will wait if they are going to do different reigion versions like they did with original MD Mini - and also await for the additional games.

Original had like 40 games - wonder how many this will have?

Since I doubt they would go through the effort of translating the whole of Shining Force 3, this seems ripe for complaints when it comes to the western release.

They can just work out something with the fan translations that already exist. Seriously, these companies sometimes pass up on golden opportunities simply out of little legal issues they can easily work around if they weren't so cheap.

I'm kind of 50/50 on this new mini. I already had the MegaDrive Mini and enjoyed it, but surely they could've had a couple Mega CD games on that one right? They had to wait until Konami did it the right way with the PC-Engine Mini to go back and do that for MegaDrive I guess. Even now though, there are no 32X games apparently. Really hope they don't do yet another MD Mini but this time with 32X games, because there's only like about a handful of 32X games worth rereleasing in a Mini in the first place.

OTOH, the Mega CD actually has quite a lot of hidden gems, most of them from the Japan region, so if they bring this out in America they better not swap out a ton of the Japanese games with Western releases like Sewer Shark and Make My Video releases or that is going to sour everything. If it's a matter of licensing costs, pay the costs!! No reason for non-Japanese fans to get the short end of the stick. Also hope they consider releasing the Mega CD peripheral stateside this time, after they kept that and the 32X ones exclusive to Japanese version.

Most interested in what the full list of Mega CD games are, if they try to Westernize the selection for non-Japan territories with mostly mediocre FMV games, what possible translations of Japan-only games they have, and what the "mysterious new work" is especially. If they can include stuff like Shadowrun Mega CD for Western territories with an English translation that would be awesome.

Impotaku

In the coming months they will do the same as the previous one they will trickle all the titles out. With 50 games on this new one will be curious what they add i'm hoping they don't just keep adding in duplicates from the previous one taruruto kun & bonanza bros are not needed unless you didn't buy the previous. I'm hoping they put panic on it.

The official site is here

Amazon japan has it up for preorder for those not averse to importing

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Bankai

I wonder if it'll be the same hardware solution as used with the Megadrive mini. A modded Megadrive mini could already play SegaCD without any problem, though there was some (extra) latency through Retroarch.

Also a shame they did't include some 32X games. The 32X version of Virtua Racing is MUCH better than the Megadrive one.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Man wth. Wish they released this back when the first was released because this is the Mega Drive version that I had. But I already have a mega drive mini, how do I justify this? Maybe sell the older one and get this since this is where all my nostalgia is. Mhhh.... Thanks Sega.

Would've preferred a Master System or a Saturn mini instead. Something different at least.

Top Bottom