• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega has announced its first blockchain game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As reported by 4Gamer, the deal with Japanese blockchain company Double Jump Tokyo will result in the development of a new game based on Sega’s popular Sangokushi Taisen series.

Sangokushi Taisen is a real-time strategy game which is mostly played in Japanese arcades, and sees players collecting physical cards which they can then place on the playing area to make them appear in the game.

The new title – which will be developed by Double Jump Tokyo with Sega lending the use of its IP – will use blockchain technology, but it’s not yet been made clear as to how this will work (though it may involve using it to record the ownership of each card).

Release date and platform information for the game have yet to be confirmed, but depending on when it’s released, it may be the first blockchain game made with Sega’s involvement.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
not like this GIF

I think the hate for "blockchain" is so high right now that it actually blocks even potentially "good" ideas. Firstly this is a game built for Japan, it's played in arcades, it uses physical cards. So my guess if you buy a "pack" and within that pack there might be a "rare" or a fucking "shiny" version of a regular card. I'm guessing these cards are placed onto a screen, they have a QR code (cause Japan loves those), and a character pops up on the screen. So now, YOU the player who has this special physical card can dominate or sell it... IDK kinda sounds like ppl collecting Pokemon cards. Those ppl can sell their card/cards or use them in a game.

I thought we only blockchain when it was connected to NFTs? If this is correct, it's tied to a physical card. That don't seem "hackable" I'd have to physically jack that shit from you... IRL hacking with my fist.

Last edited:
What problem do people have with this? Like a legimate reason why you don't want blockchain on physical trading cards, because this makes a lot of sense to me.

AREYOUOKAY?

What problem do people have with this? Like a legimate reason why you don't want blockchain on physical trading cards, because this makes a lot of sense to me.
Yeah it's kind of like this thing from Sega.

So whatever this is basically stuff that you'd expect from arcade machines which is most likely where this will end up at.

Top Bottom