• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Has Considered Dreamcast & Saturn Mini But Is Worried About Extreme Costs

ZoolNL

No wondr they're worried about costs, I mean let's be honest, beyond a relatively small amount of middle aged people, is anyone really going to give a shit about a mini Dreamcast and especially a mini Saturn?
Saturn was big in Japan and Dreamcast is hyped the last 20 years. They will sell. Also, the games were great.

They made an Astro City Mini and then made a Astro City Mini V. Clearly they don't even need high sales numbers to profit off these.

touche-dodgeball.gif

Drew1440

Sega actually has ported at least some of the Saturn Library. So instead of emulating the Saturn, they should port them and make a collection.

A simple list lifted from Sega Ages collections, PC ports and newer ports releases into any other platform would look like this:

- Virtua Fighter
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Dragon Force
- Fighting Vipers
- Virtua Racing
- Last Bronx
- Panzer Dragoon
- Cyber Troopers - Virtual On
- NiGHTs Into Dreams
- Dynamite Deka
- Sega Rally
- Virtual Cop
- Virtua Cop 2
- House of the Dead
- Daytona USA
- Sonic 3D
- Sonic R
- Sega Worldwide Soccer
- Sega Touring Car Championship
Sega has lost the source code to a lot of these games, so these would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. The assets (textures and sound) would have to be redone also since I doubt any modern engine works with the formats 90s Sega has used.
I doubt they have the documentation for the Saturn or Dreamcast, i know PowerVR still exist and make graphics chips today but I doubt those would be compatible without emulation. Still It would be a nice nod to the Dreamcast if the mini console were to us a PowerVR chip.

Most people don't have fond memories of the Dreamcast/Saturn eras, and I bet most are aware these consoles exist. There's a reason Sega keep releasing the same Mega Drive stuff over and over again. It would make sense to have a 3D classic themed console, with titles from the Saturn/Dreamcast and the arcade Model 2/3/Naomi. I kind of wish Microsoft would have embraced this when they announced OG Xbox backwards compatibility since many regard the Xbox as the successor to the Dreamcast and Sega certainly supported the Xbox early on. Also Microsoft have shown they know how to build a decent emulator, they could do these games justice.

They also had a few PC ports in the 90s but they were intended to be run on Windows 95 with DirectX 3. They could easily package these games in DOSbox and re-release them on Steam like EA did with Theme Hospital on Origin.

Last edited:
Sega has lost the source code to a lot of these games, so these would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. The assets (textures and sound) would have to be redone also since I doubt any modern engine works with the formats 90s Sega has used.
I doubt they have the documentation for the Saturn or Dreamcast, i know PowerVR still exist and make graphics chips today but I doubt those would be compatible without emulation. Still It would be a nice nod to the Dreamcast if the mini console were to us a PowerVR chip.
I only listed first party Saturn games that had ports and were ported relatively recently, so the source code should be available.

The exception would be some PC ports of the era, which means the source code could be lost, but emulating them would be way, way easier than emulating a Sega Saturn at full speed.
They also had a few PC ports in the 90s but they were intended to be run on Windows 95 with DirectX 3. They could easily package these games in DOSbox and re-release them on Steam like EA did with Theme Hospital on Origin.
Listed as well.

But here is the separate list for those:

- Virtua Cop 2 (more recent ports exist)
- Sega Rally (more recent ports exist)
- Virtua Fighter (more recent ports exist)
- Panzer Dragoon (more recent ports exist)
- Sega Worldwide Soccer
- Sega Touring Car Championship
- Sonic R
- Sonic 3D

Also, I believe in a few years time not having the source code anymore will cease to be the problem it is now. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time were just decompiled and it's a matter of time until there are tools using machine learning to reach the same goal.
- Mini Saturn could allow 60FPS (many games are running at 20/30FPS)
That's never as easy as it seems.
Game modes will probably allow double stick options.(with USB modern controllers will be compatible for 3D games)
I can't see them having the support built-in for that on a mini console with included controllers, nor a third party taking the time. You'd have a better chance if they were re-releases for a new console with new games coming out.
Mini hardware is fucking stupid. Sega Ages ports to modern platforms is less stupid.
I don't think it's stupid as it's an elaborate tribute which is cool.

But I agree, Sega Ages collections rock, and if there is still source code for some of this game it's only due to it existing.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sega has lost the source code to a lot of these games, so these would have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
In fact, most of that list can be easily released since many of them are arcade games (a bunch of them had been ported in Yakuza games), others have been remade on PS2 like Dragon Force,Dynamite Deka, Nights, Panzer Dragoon.

Maybe Sonic R has been lost ? Who cares ? 🤪
Oh yeah, there was Panzer Dragoon Azel but it was a myth. Sega knows where is the code right now. Futatsugi took it when he left Sega. He almost admitted it at the GDC Panzer post mortem... With all the current Panzer Dragoon Projects, Futatsugi probably has an agreement with Sega to keep the code and maybe produce a remaster, remake ?

(Futatsugi probably has the Azel source code)

Last edited:
Dont most of these minis essentially run on what are similar to raspberry pi systems with roms? If so shouldn't Saturn/DC emulation be around same cost hardware wise?

In fact, most of that list can be easily released since many of them are arcade games (a bunch of them had been ported in Yakuza games), others have been remade on PS2 like Dragon Force,Dynamite Deka, Nights, Panzer Dragoon.
I forgot Yakuza games had arcade games.

Looked at the list, all are repeats from the other list I did, albeit more modern releases, which is good to assert that the source code is still available.

Sonic the Fighters is new, but has already been released on PS2/Gamecube, Saturn port was canceled, but would still fit/be at home in a Sega Saturn mini box.

Holy shit at the fact they have Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown on Yakuza 6.
Maybe Sonic R has been lost ? Who cares ? 🤪
Nahhhh, otherwise Jon Burton couldn't have done videos like this:

And this:

He clearly has access to the source code and builds he did still.

I don't doubt that Sega archival of code was crap at some point but they seem to have maintained most of their stuff, I never saw evidence of it being as bad as the Squaresoft, Konami and Capcom code repositories of some eras. Even Nintendo might have lost *some* source code along the years, and they seem to have a really well maintained archive.

Last edited:
people still buy these nostalgia consoles? : S
I love them. They go on my tv and I like to kick back, play some Genesis/TurboGrafx/Snes/Nes/NeoGeo/Playstation mini with friends and shoot the shit while playing some vintage games. They're great party machines.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Holy shit at the fact they have Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown on Yakuza 6.
Yeah arcade ports in Yakuza are pure madness. Yakuza 6 is only 20 bucks on PC (but Dragon Engine is quite demanding if you have only a toaster).

If you don't have powerful hardware to run it, i suggest you give a try to Luna and Stadia: Judgment also have VF5FS+ Fighting Vipers + Motor Raid (!!!). Input lag is surprisingly low due to 60FPS port on Stadia and Judgment isn't a sequel so you can enjoy the main Story line.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I love them. They go on my tv and I like to kick back, play some Genesis/TurboGrafx/Snes/Nes/NeoGeo/Playstation mini with friends and shoot the shit while playing some vintage games. They're great party machines.

This little thing does all of that, and it's more accurate at running the games properly.

sbyford_210310_4461_0019.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Twitter user Gosokkyu, the packaging for the Mega Drive Mini 2 in Japan contains a URL and password for a customer survey.

The survey reportedly consists of 47 questions, one of which asks the customer which mini console they’d like to see next from Sega.

Options include the SG-1000, SG-3000, Mk III / Master System, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, arcade or a third Mega Drive Mini.

Trogdor1123

Day 1.

If they are worried about cost, how about make a virtual console like store/service/app where we can download and play all the 1st Party Master-System, Megadrve/Genisis, Saturn and Dreamcast games.

Release it for Steam/PS/Xbox/Switch etc. Make a ton of money

Then slowly release some 3rd party titles they can sort licenses for….
I’d prefer some box with wifi and you get to access the store that way. Can’t be hard. Also, recurring revenue

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Raspberry Pi 4 overclocked is almost enough for full speed Dreamcast emulation in many if not all games. I guess by 5 it won't even need overclocking. It costs ~35 (not bulk). They're charging like 100 for the minis. Add the shell/controller/whatever stuff costs and I'm sure it can still be profitable...

Saturn is more demanding however. And of course they need to make their own emulators of equal quality to Mednafen/Flycast so that's some R&D if they can't use those commercially (I have no idea if it's possible). But at the very least their know how and the available sources may mitigate that.

Last edited:
Extreme costs? You can buy a sub $100 chinese handheld that plays dreamcast games

It's cheap for Chinese manufacturers, not for those outside of china.

What Sega should do is a Model 3 mini with all the Model 3 games in it since many weren't ported, and the graphics would be strong enough to hold up with some modern gamers today.

Beechos

Sega just needs to copy the recent capcom stadium frontend/interface for their retro stuff. The current capcom stadium interface is the best ive ever used for replaying old games if all retro compilations were like this people prob wouldnt have to resort to using emulators.

Synless

I would buy that easy. I also would by a Saturn mini as long as it had shining the holy ark and legend if oasis…. And fighters mega mix.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Dreamcast Mini will be for sure a hit, but the Saturn probably would be more for the real fans

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’d be there day fucking 1 for a Dreamcast!!!!!!

I would hope the controller has a built in LCD screen for the VMU.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
One big reason i can think of is hardwaee. Their Zuiki Z2713 SoC (4x Cortex ARM A7, Mali 400 MP2) probably can't perfectly emulate the consoles.

However Sega should not have a problem turning Sega System SP/Sega Aurora into a consumer product. This was hardware supposed to act similar to a Dreamcast, but modernized. Its specs:
  • CPU: Hitachi SH-4 32-bit RISC CPU @ 300MHz
  • GPU: Imagination Technologies Power VR MBX+VGP @ 150MHz
  • SPU: ADPCM Sound system
  • I/O: USB and Ethernet connectors

GenericUser

"Sega considered doing something cool but went for the easy route and sold some cheap ass hardware and an emulator with a bunch of roms."

spookyfish

- I don't like moving my fat ass to swap discs 😎
- Mini Saturn could allow 60FPS (many games are running at 20/30FPS)
- Game modes will probably allow double stick options.(with USB modern controllers will be compatible for 3D games)
- Retro games are too expensive

Mini consoles 😎
I also have these consoles. That said, I want the minis for reasons listed above, as well as no disc = fewer moving parts = last longer.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Would buy a mini Dreamcast with hdmi simply to have a console with great 4 player couch coop games.

Last and this gen is really lacking in this department.

PJX

Most people don't have fond memories of the Dreamcast/Saturn eras, and I bet most are aware these consoles exist. There's a reason Sega keep releasing the same Mega Drive stuff over and over again. It would make sense to have a 3D classic themed console, with titles from the Saturn/Dreamcast and the arcade Model 2/3/Naomi. I kind of wish Microsoft would have embraced this when they announced OG Xbox backwards compatibility since many regard the Xbox as the successor to the Dreamcast and Sega certainly supported the Xbox early on. Also Microsoft have shown they know how to build a decent emulator, they could do these games justice.

The bolded is false. The only documented game they lost the source code to was Panzer Dragoon Saga and according to the director of the game, it may have been found.

Last edited:

SCB3

According to Twitter user Gosokkyu, the packaging for the Mega Drive Mini 2 in Japan contains a URL and password for a customer survey.

The survey reportedly consists of 47 questions, one of which asks the customer which mini console they’d like to see next from Sega.

Options include the SG-1000, SG-3000, Mk III / Master System, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, arcade or a third Mega Drive Mini.
Can I just get a Sonic Ultimate collection at this point, every game, and I mean EVERY Sonic game released in one big collection? From Sonic 1 to Sonic 06 perhaps, include all the Master System & GG games as well?

Top Bottom