• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Is Looking to Adapt Atlus Games for Live-Action TV and Movies

Draugoth

Gold Member
FWgm4DpUcAA7E_W

Sega is looking to expand further into film and TV by exploring potential live-action adaptations for games developed by Atlus.

In an exclusive reveal to IGN, Sega says that expanding storytelling forms is a new and important part of Sega's overall business strategy. This is why Sega is opening up Atlus' critically-acclaimed library of games — which includes series like Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Catherine — to potential live-action film and TV adaptations.

"Atlus' worlds are filled with high drama, cutting-edge style and compelling characters," says Toru Nakahara, Sega's lead producer on the live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movies and Sonic Prime TV series. "Stories like those from the Persona franchise really resonate with our fans and we see an opportunity to expand the lore like no one has seen — or played — before."

YukiOnna

How about just making sure they have a steady output of games...

Guess I'll be seeing this again in a few months
unknown.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
At first I was thinking: NO.

But then I thought: demon tits?

Deft Beck

However we see a Persona show or movie, it will barely have any resemblance to the source material. It's just too Japanese of a franchise for it to be well adapted here.

Unless they go for a Riverdale/Sabrina style show.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Haven't these companies realized that NO ONE like these wave of live actions? Actually, any "live action" announcement is always received with fear by basically anyone, even those that watch them I've seen them criticize them more than praise them, the only one good live action is the Rurouni Kenshin live action movies but those are so exceptional... Even the "good" live actions end up being received like "not great but not bad", why do everyone want to make live actions these days where people is already full of them being bad?

Honest rant 😬

I always thought something like this would work really well, Persona 3 in particular.

However we see a Persona show or movie, it will barely have any resemblance to the source material. It's just too Japanese of a franchise for it to be well adapted here.

Unless they go for a Riverdale/Sabrina style show.
Set it in Japan? Just look at the success of Round 6.

Last edited:

Doom85

There was a OVA of Persona 3.

Persona_3_The_Movie_4_Winter_of_Rebirth_Promotional_Poster.png

Well, four films adapting 3. 4 got two anime series (one for OG game, another one for Golden), and 5 got one anime series.

There was also an older Persona anime that takes place 10 years after 3, but the less said about it the better.

iorek21

Don’t know about other titles, but P4 and P5 would work really well… with decent writing of course.

lachesis

They have musical version.

LSyPQMn.jpg

Not my cup of tea though... but I know Sega also had some loyal followings of Sakura Taisen stage shows.
But still... a lot of times, the live action ones tend to become poor budget cosplay show, which is actually distracting to me.

Doom85

They have musical version.

LSyPQMn.jpg

Not my cup of tea though... but I know Sega also had some loyal followings of Sakura Taisen stage shows.
But still... a lot of times, the live action ones tend to become poor budget cosplay show, which is actually distracting to me.

That cast actually looks on point to me. Interested to see how Futaba and Haru look.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
A Persona 1 movie done right would be epic 2 would be sick as well......not really interested in adaptations of the modern games

Fbh

Anime live action adaptations are almost always terrible. Atlus games are basically playable anime. So all these adaptations will be trash.

But I'll watch if they make Steve Buscemi the main character and everyone just acts as if he was a regular highschool kid:
hello-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anime live action adaptations are almost always terrible. Atlus games are basically playable anime. So all these adaptations will be trash.
I'm still have hard time believing they making live action of One Piece, that gonna look beyond awful.

Top Bottom