• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Rally 2; an icon amongst Sega arcade racing icons

Cinco de Mayo

Neo Member
just a PSA here: Sega Rally Online Arcade (or Sega Rally 3) is still available to buy for PS3, on HK Store only.

I bought it, it is an amazing game. I have more fun with this game compare to any other rally game.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
It's more than the dull muddy graphics that take away the appeal factor, the chasing of realism in lighting and texture kills it entirely. None of the crisp sharpness, color, or stark lighting that just made the originals pop so hard and feel so fast. Even Revo which was more colorful than 2006 looks worse
You're probably right for Revo but they probably realized something was off and then made a much more vivid and colorful (the tropical track is far more shiny than Revo's counterparts).

As for Sega Rally 2006, i'm not sure.
Maybe it's a mix of art style and ps2's tools or kind of hardware i don't know:

With Sega or Tecmo or any publisher, PS2 games very often(not all the time though) look washed out.
I didn't feel that way with OG Xbox or the Gamecube.(beach Spikers, PSO 1 and 2, Sonic Colors)

Maybe it's just me...
Luckily Sega IPs became more colorful and vibrant again in recent years.
In term of vibrancy: Yakuza 6(ps4) > Yakuza 4(ps3)> Yakuza 2 (ps2)
Just check the Yakuza 2 VS Kiwami 2 comparisons and you'll understand my point (or check Sakura Wars PS4, it's litteraly a firework)

I'm glad we're done with the grey/yellow/green filters of the PS2/PS3 eras.

Fat Frog

just a PSA here: Sega Rally Online Arcade (or Sega Rally 3) is still available to buy for PS3, on HK Store only.

I bought it, it is an amazing game. I have more fun with this game compare to any other rally game.
Of course, it's a good game.
It's Sega Rally 3 but at 30 FPS 😒

Last edited:

Tarin02543

Thanks for the tip! Do you need to create a HK PSN account to buy it then? Will investigate further.

Fat Frog

@mihai
Sumo really understand the Sega Spirit: Sega Rally Online is more vibrant than Sega Rally 3 (unfortunately, we lost the 60FPS with the port) and they added Scud Race tracks in Outrun 2's port on OG Xbox... And Sega All Star Racing Transformed is fantastic.

Mahnmut

VF3 does software only version no 3D booster cart. It's not been leaked.
I've read that it was shown behind closed doors at some gaming event (Tokyo Game Show maybe ?) by Yu Susuki himself back in the day.
I wish it could be leaked some day...

Tarin02543

Sega Rally Online Arcade does seem to be very similar to Revo, even the HUD looks identical. I suppose Rally Online Arcade is a relaunch title?

edit: even the menu with the cards is the same

edit 2: apparently revo 2.0

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I've read that it was shown behind closed doors at some gaming event (Tokyo Game Show maybe ?) by Yu Susuki himself back in the day.

It was, and those discs made it to SOA and SOE. Same deal, closed doors, inner circle and then it got shelved because they needed the exclusive for the DC. Yu's pretty accessible now these days, someone needs to drill him for the info.

RAIDEN1

It was, and those discs made it to SOA and SOE. Same deal, closed doors, inner circle and then it got shelved because they needed the exclusive for the DC. Yu's pretty accessible now these days, someone needs to drill him for the info.
I assume this is VF3 on the Saturn, in which case it would have been terrible graphically no doubt about it..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I assume this is VF3 on the Saturn, in which case it would have been terrible graphically no doubt about it..
It would be pretty sweet even if it was just like VF2 or DOA with different textures and the VF3 moveset. Or basically high resolution, more polished Fighters Megamix. Ditching uneven arenas and the calculations/animations needed for them could make it plausible. They'd probably also need to change Aoi's flowing sleeves and similarly animated garments to something less unique and easier on the eyes with fewer polygons and simpler animation (hence Janet having her moves in FM). Even as a far from faithful port, or demake if you will, it would probably be far more impressive and appreciated for Saturn than the much better port was for Dreamcast (even if it had been 1:1) as by then its once pioneering 3D looked crude and inferior to games like Soulcalibur with a fraction of the polycount but infinitely better art direction and modeling/texturing techniques. Though Sega's weird insistence on barebones ports without many extras (the opposite of what Namco was doing) was probably the worst thing about it. Anyway, these graphics are fine to me technically for 32bit, with VF3 colors and what not on top of its actual gameplay it'd be more than good enough.

Of course to achieve this it would have to be essentially a from scratch demake of the game rather than an attempt to keep removing polygons from the original assets until they match these in number, that would for sure be a graphical disaster compared to any of these games.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

It would be pretty sweet even if it was just like VF2 or DOA with different textures and the VF3 moveset. Or basically high resolution, more polished Fighters Megamix. Ditching uneven arenas and the calculations/animations needed for them could make it plausible. They'd probably also need to change Aoi's flowing sleeves to something less unique and easier on the eyes with fewer polygons and simpler animation (hence Janet having her moves in FM). Even as a far from faithful port, or demake if you will, it would probably be more impressive and appreciated for Saturn than the much better port was for Dreamcast (even if it had been 1:1) as by then its once pioneering 3D looked crude and inferior to games like Soulcalibur with a fraction of the polycount but infinitely better art direction and modeling/texturing techniques. Though Sega's weird insistence on barebones ports without many extras was probably the worst thing about it.

VF3 on the Dreamcast wasn't even arcade perfect when there is no reason why that should be the case......as de-makes go one of the most intriguing would have been Daytona USA on the 32X.....just how much worse than the Saturn version would it have been.....??

Alexios

It was pretty close actually and it wouldn't have had a much better rep (well, many reviews of the era praised it well enough, I think it was a post-PS2 fabrication that it's not that great) if it had been 1:1 as in my parenthesis there, 1996 launch just meant they didn't have very good modeling process for characters of that complexity. Same for Virtua Fighter on Saturn to be honest, though that being half fps and what not was a bigger downgrade, even a perfect port wouldn't look good enough vs the competition as it too was pioneering years earlier in arcades but by the Saturn's launch people wanted much better 3D with more texture maps and what not, not so plain polygons and toddler drawing character faces (hence Remix focusing on that). VF4 Evolution characters on PS2 have about as many polygons as VF3 (any version, they're all similar in that) yet look much nicer (save for that aliasing). Even though that meant a reduction from double the polygons in the arcade version of Evolution, they had much better technique and managed great results for that downgrade. Dreamcast's VF3 downgrades weren't at all significant to make such a fuss about it (compared to say, Sega Rally 2's issues), most people probably wouldn't even know of most without being told/shown comparisons by the media high on that emotion engine drug money, the game itself was just aging. Or rather aged. High in tech specs but wasted polygons all over, just like the original VF in its time. I would have loved a VF4 Vanilla/Ver.C port on Dreamcast with similarly well done downgrades as on PS2's Evo (and probably with further reduced but not so important backgrounds and removed/edited stages with deforming snow/sand) but it was already dead. Oh well, DOA2 (especially the Japanese version but all of them really) is up there (with higher polygon characters than PS2's Evo plus up to three on camera for tag moves and throws, unlike TTT where one instantly disappeared, though tag mode was limited to one simpler arena suitable for them to drop in/out of).

Last edited:
VF3 on the Dreamcast wasn't even arcade perfect when there is no reason why that should be the case......as de-makes go one of the most intriguing would have been Daytona USA on the 32X.....just how much worse than the Saturn version would it have been.....??
It was 98% perfect. People need to play VF3TB and then the DC version to see how close they are.

I would imagine that Saturn VF3 would have looked no better than Fighters Megamix and that's how the game would have looked

VGEsoterica

It was 98% perfect. People need to play VF3TB and then the DC version to see how close they are.

I would imagine that Saturn VF3 would have looked no better than Fighters Megamix and that's how the game would have looked
VF3 Modrl 3 vs Dreamcast is a MUCH closer 1:1 than Rally 2. Like night and day closer

VF3 Modrl 3 vs Dreamcast is a MUCH closer 1:1 than Rally 2. Like night and day closer
The main trouble is with DC VF3 is people look to compare it to VF3 in the Arcades and not VF3TB in the Arcades, which also saw changes to gfx maybe to get the 1st Person mode in. VF3TB is really close, much like GetBass and VO 2 is all but perfect. Rally was rushed, but its almost there and a few more months work would have made all the diff

Daytona 2/Outrun 2 > Makoto Osaki > still at Sega.
Sega Rally 95/Sega Rally 2 > Kenji Sasaki > Not at Sega anymore but still develop racers for Sega like Sega World Drivers.

Manx TT > Hiroshi Ando > Working on recent Initial D games
looked it up and wow, that game actually looks really good. it does look like a modern iteration of the late 90s sega racers
Checked this out of curiosity.

Woah, what the fuck. Why hasn't Sega made a bigger deal out of this?? It looks great.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
looked it up and wow, that game actually looks really good. it does look like a modern iteration of the late 90s sega racers
Should be able to have a quick and relatively cheap port for Switch, PC/SteamDeck, Xbox (One/XSX|S), and PlayStation (PS4/PS5).

Alexios

Nice graphics but looks quite slow, boring and nothing like their classics to me. Though I'm sure it's more fun to play than it seems, especially with some full featured arcade cabinet. It kinda looks like some arcade Grid game giving you bite sized races or something. Not sure a port would sell.

I guess it's for fans of the actual real thing (duh), whatever kind of races that's meant to represent.

Last edited:

Mahnmut

So it's somewhere out there waiting to be discovered :)
If I remember correctly, I think the port was described as very impressive.

Uiki

Nice graphics but looks quite slow, boring and nothing like their classics to me. Though I'm sure it's more fun to play than it seems, especially with some full featured arcade cabinet. It kinda looks like some arcade Grid game giving you bite sized races or something. Not sure a port would sell.

I guess it's for fans of the actual real thing (duh), whatever kind of races that's meant to represent.

It's already running on pc/ue4 with no problems.... it's as inexpensive as it gets to get it at least on pc.
It needs a bit of work on controls and gamemodes.. but if priced correctly (20/25 bucks) with proper leaderboards I can see it doing relatively well.

nush

Gold Member
So it's somewhere out there waiting to be discovered :)
If I remember correctly, I think the port was described as very impressive.

No, because it didn't get down to the level of people that would have been able to leak it (marketing, QC, reviewers). Sega at that time and through to the Dreamcast were still shipping physical discs of code around the world. You didn't just FTP to get the latest version. If their servers today got hacked you wouldn't find games from that period.

SkylineRKR

VF3 is really close considering it was an outsourced and rushed launch title by Genki. I played this game a lot in the arcade, the vanilla version mind you and yes it does look better than 3TB but the difference isn't immense. 3TB looks a bit different to begin with, you can't really compare it. I do prefer vanilla VF3.

Supermodel3

Runs well on a toaster basically.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
VF3 is really close considering it was an outsourced and rushed launch title by Genki. I played this game a lot in the arcade, the vanilla version mind you and yes it does look better than 3TB but the difference isn't immense. 3TB looks a bit different to begin with, you can't really compare it. I do prefer vanilla VF3.

I always felt like VF3TB got a bad rap on DC. It’s not a perfect port but it’s very good and keeps the game intact. I guess it just looked bad in comparison to Soul Calibur, but everything did.

Fat Frog

Supermodel3

Runs well on a toaster basically.

Respect the mighty model 3, peasant 😎.

Even the Xbox cannot handle such power 😆

VGEsoterica

It’s a ton of fun when you are playing jt

Scotty W

Gold Member
Found Sega Rally 2 in an arcade yesterday. It was a disappointment, compared to the original. There is just no sense of speed.

Dane

SR2 DC is one of the biggest disappointments in my gaming life. I played SR2 in the arcade for months, or years as its cabinets would never cease to exist here. DC should've been able to run a close to arcade perfect port, but Sega went for a cheap Windows port. I prefer to play it on Supermodel3 ofcourse. Though the 10 year championship isn't there.

SR2 was generally deemed worse than SR1 because of its handling I think. But I like it more, also because I played it in the Arcade much more. I always have issues with the Snow stage. But I can beat the game.

The best racing game, in my opinion, is ofcourse Daytona 2. I also play that game still.
It was rushed to meet the DC launch in Japan and still got delayed for a bit, wasn't even playable on trade shows and what was shown was running on PC IIRC.

Model 3 surely had a weird run on Dreamcast, Scud Race was cancelled because the BPR Global was merged into FIA, Virtua Fighter 3 was overshadowed by Soul Calibur in the rest of the world, Daytona 2 never happened and there's more 4-5 games missing a home version too.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

It's worth noting Sasaki also worked on Ridge Racer and Sega Touring Car.
(I hate UE4 by the way)
SEGA SuperCoaster" SEGA
"Scramble Training" SEGA
"Michael Jackson's Scramble Training" SEGA
"RIDGE RACER" NAMCO
"RIDGE RACER FullScale" NAMCO
"SEGA RALLY Championship" SEGA
"SEGA RALLY 2" SEGA
"SEGA TouringCar Championship" SEGA
"STAR WARS TRILOGY ARCADE" SEGA
"STAR WARS RACER ARCADE" SEGA
"D1GP Arcade" TAITO
"AQUA RACE EXTREME" Simuline/Bitster
"SWDC" SEGA
"DRAGON QUEST X" SQUARE ENIX
"DRONE RACING GENESIS" SEGA AMUSEMENT INTERNATIONAL
"首都高バトル(Syutoko-battle)" GENKI
"首都高バトルR(Syutoko-battle R)"

In 2022, he also worked for Sega West

(Sega Amusement International is now an independant company though. Yup, it's a weird situation)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great games in the arcade. Was never great at them. I might get passed the first stage but thats it. The rumble seats where they simulate driving on dirt was fantastic.

nkarafo

Edit: just watched some of the video. Idk why you keep repeating Dreamcast could never do Model 3 justice or keep up with it or whatever and how you came to understand this. It kept up just fine in several games, from Virtua Fighter 3tb and Sega Bass Fishing for step 1.0 to Fighting Vipers 2, Virtua Striker 2 and Virtual On 2 for the significantly upgraded step 2.0 (though VS2's first version was on step 1.5) and some of its own games and/or excellent Naomi ports that could easily rival anything on Model 3 like Dead or Alive 2, F355 Challenge and a couple Fishing sequels (of course that's why VS2 and VO2 are so good too as they were carefully, properly ported for Naomi to replace the expensive, aging Model 3 hardware). Out of all these then, only Sega Rally 2 has significant downgrades while VF3tb and Fighting Vipers 2 have relatively minor changes. Maybe just focus on what you play and how it is which is subjectively true enough rather than pass random thoughts as fact.
Not really true, no version is capped to 30 by default. The Japanese version for whatever reason (I dunno if it has some lesser visuals or something not easy to notice was improved elsewhere but it's hard to imagine the first version is more optimized than the rest) seems able to jump to 60 fps much more often by default (making it more obviously inconsistent) and hold it more with the 60fps cheat too (but still far from consistently enough to make that a worthwhile option) but the US version does by default too, the jumps to and from 60 fps are evident since the attract intro and in any gameplay.

Your post makes sense but there's this weird thing about Model 3 racing games that look significantly better than other games on the platform.

Even something like Scud Race (which is an earlier step game) looks so much better than most non-racing Model 3 games and something that the DC would have problems porting 100%. Sega Rally 2 we already know and there's Daytona 2, which looks way above anything ever produced on Naomi, even comes close to stuff like OutRun 2 on Chihiro/XBOX hardware.

Also, i don't think Virtua ON Naomi looks as good as the Model 3 version. Can't put my finger on it but i feel like the Model 3 version looks more impressive to me for some reason. But maybe it's just bias.

I just don't think the Naomi/DC hardware was as good as whatever the Model 3 has, it was too early for such cheap hardware to close the gap with the 20k something Model 3 custom hardware. I think the reason why so many Naomi/DC games look on par is the more modern features and software tools. Such things can take you pretty far without relying on hardware's brute force. Which is what the Model 3 was IMO, a brute-force monster.

Also, when it comes to rendering and animating human models, it's more about evolution in game development/skill/knowledge, not so much about hardware brute force. Something like Dead or Alive 2 looking so graceful and having much better human models has little to do with hardware advancing and more with development advancements like better modelling and use of polygons, better motion capture gear and tools, etc. While a racing game that has static looking cars and an "on-rails" scenery that you can easily optimize with the maximum amount of detail per scene seems like something more "hardware brute force" dependent.

Thus something like a fighting game, with complex looking animated human models, can look better on a weaker but newer system while a simpler game (such as racing) that doesn't benefit as much by those advancements will still look better on the older but more powerful hardware. I would bet the Model 3 has no issues running Dead or Alive 2 with ease, if the same devs with the same skills and 1999 experience tried to port it. But i don't think the DC would have a chance running Daytona 2 without sacrifices, since that game benefits more from simple raw power. Experience would surely help a lot but they would still get hit by the hardware bottlenecks.

Or, dunno, maybe i'm over thinking it while trying to justify my case.

Last edited:

Alexios

Thus something like a fighting game, with complex looking animated human models, can look better on a weaker but newer system while a simpler game (such as racing) that doesn't benefit as much by those advancements will still look better on the older but more powerful hardware. I would bet the Model 3 has no issues running Dead or Alive 2 with ease, if the same devs with the same skills and 1999 experience tried to port it. But i don't think the DC would have a chance running Daytona 2 without sacrifices, since that game benefits more from simple raw power. Experience would surely help a lot but they would still get hit by the hardware bottlenecks.
I've said that stuff for Soulcalibur vs VF3tb, skill and art vs brute force, but DOA2 has both crazy high polygon characters and fully 3D stages on top of its great art direction (though I find some moves quite goofy the way they twirl with no regards to physics and gravity and stuff, that's not a tech thing, they've kept them since). Anyway, like I said VF3tb and FV2 have some minor downgrades still, hardly something to put the hardware down as being so inferior as those comments are like Sega Rally 2 is the norm when it's the minority if not an isolated case when it comes to Model 3 ports. There are differences in Virtual On 2 for sure but to me they're more aesthetic choices or at worst a difference in rendering between different hardware, not something strictly inferior, similar to the changes between VF4 and Evo or VF3 and 3tb which didn't change tech specs between versions 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

nkarafo

I've said that stuff for Soulcalibur vs VF3tb, skill and art vs brute force, but DOA2 has both crazy high polygon characters and fully 3D stages on top of its great art direction (though I find some moves quite goofy the way they twirl with no regards to physics and gravity and stuff, that's not a tech thing, they've kept them since). Anyway, like I said VF3tb and FV2 have some minor downgrades still, hardly something to put the hardware down as being so inferior as those comments are like Sega Rally 2 is the norm when it's the minority if not an isolated case when it comes to Model 3 ports. There are differences in Virtual On 2 for sure but to me they're more aesthetic choices or at worst a difference in rendering between different hardware, not something strictly inferior, similar to the changes between VF4 and Evo or VF3 and 3tb which didn't change tech specs between versions 🤷‍♂️

So, after seeing how Daytona 2 looks and runs, do you think the Dreamcast would be able to handle it?

I certainly don't think so myself.

Alexios

I think it could do as good a job as with VF3tb and FV2. Most elements in 2001 are on par. Textures, draw distances, asset quality, lighting. The course styles are so drastically different it's hard to compare, 2001 has the original game's style, Daytona USA 2 went all out bonkers, in a good way.

Even Daytona 3 can't compare directly, but comparing the Pixie course on Dreamcast with the Beginner one in 2 they are close, especially for games made by different teams, different engines and everything, including the courses not being the same either of course, 2 doesn't look far ahead.

That weird shine certainly doesn't seem less taxing than the simple shine of 2's cars, it's just a weird choice to have that there, I hoped and thought it's possible we might see fan hacks make the cars more matte or something but I guess that wasn't to be, still it's not technically bad or anything.

Also it retains most visual elements and the 60fps in split screen mode (just checked and apparently the cars do become more matte in split screen mode and their shine then does resemble the one in 2 more to me, but yeah there are cuts too - duh - like less opponents with closer lod levels) :messenger_ok:

Sega Rally 2 courses don't compare either but it's also a step 2 game, Scud Race appears way closer to that with its fantastical themes yet that's a step 1 game originally and 1.5 for the Plus version so really it seems some folks are mixing up the themes and art style with the tech specifications.

Anyway say you are right, that's one game, add Nagoshi's talk of how it couldn't do SpikeOut (bs to me as Naomi got Slashout and Spikers Battle) and even concede to Sega Rally 2's shoddy port, I'd say everything else is doable including Star Wars Trilogy and L.A. Machineguns so DC holds up.

HotD2/Confidential Mission look at least as good as Jurassic Park/Ocean Hunter, F355 Challenge trashes Le Mans 24, Crazy Taxi/2 are on par with Emergency Call Ambulance despite being more open, in < 60fps Propeller Arena looks superb, MDK2/MSR/Le Mans show advanced rendering, etc.

Last edited:

nkarafo

2001 has much simpler looking tracks. There's no way they use even half the polygon budget Daytona 2 uses in Model 3.

SkylineRKR

I think DoA2 and HOTD2 looked better than anything on Model 3. Perhaps even CT did as Emergency Call doesn't look quite as good and isn't as open, and not as fast.

Daytona 2 yes, its an impressive looking game, but look at AI cars, they are low detail. And its also aesthetics, with a theme park setting as a racing course. I prefer BOTE for this reason, I like the Aquadome more than the regular oval. And I am one of the few that prefers the handling of the BOTE cars. Probably because I played it more than Daytona 1.

I think VOOT and Virtua Striker 2 looked slightly better on Model 3. But they weren't native Naomi games.

It was rushed to meet the DC launch in Japan and still got delayed for a bit, wasn't even playable on trade shows and what was shown was running on PC IIRC.

Model 3 surely had a weird run on Dreamcast, Scud Race was cancelled because the BPR Global was merged into FIA, Virtua Fighter 3 was overshadowed by Soul Calibur in the rest of the world, Daytona 2 never happened and there's more 4-5 games missing a home version too.

Yeah VF3 was essentially 3 years old when released in the west. And in the arcade it wasn't even a big hit despite looking insanely good. I remember my arcade having both VF3 and the inferior Tekken 3 but everyone jumped on Tekken. It was easier to pick up and play, flashier moves, time released characters etc. I also enjoyed T3 more, tbh. T3 had the benefit PS1 could run it rather faithfully, not watered down much (mostly the backgrounds) and it added more content.

VF3 was still very good if you had an arcade stick. I played it a ton.

Last edited:
I always find it funny many Sega threads often circle back to VF3.

Sure, VF3 looks great, and the composer did a half decent job with the music, and I literally mean half, but imo, VF3 has the worst gameplay and balance in the entire series so it only really gets props for graphics imo.

The Stig

Love it. I just recently god an NTSC DC and a ton of games. Including sega rally 2. God I love these arcade ports. The DC rules.

Naked Lunch

Major props to this thread an op VGEsoterica VGEsoterica - Ive kinda rediscovered this game since this thread dropped.

Im a huge Sega Rally 1 fan, especially the Saturn version, but never gave the sequel its proper due till now. Ive owned the Dreamcast version (not on cdr either!) for years but never put any serious time into it. So ive been messing around with the fps codes on DC and playing on the Supermodel 3 emulator too.

Having a blast with it - and just like the first game, I thought finishing first in Championship mode was impossible, until I practiced a billion runs. I got first place in the Lancia and Impreza so far. My whole run hinges on one of those nasty hairpins on the mountain stage - beyond that I got it well managed.

I also have Sega Rally 2006 and the 95 remix on PS2, and 360's Rally Revo - I barely touched either of those too.

Top Bottom