• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Rally 3! Sega can count to three and not suck...sometimes! And other amazing and garbage "third games"

VGEsoterica

Sometimes it seems developers have trouble getting to a third game in a beloved franchise, but when it comes to the third game in a series Sega either kills it (Sonic the Hedgehog 3) or falls absolutely flat on its face (Daytona USA 3)...thankfully Sega Rally 3 lands way closer to something like Sonic 3 than Daytona 3.

Sega Rally 3 is the modern take on the classic Model 2 / Model 3 Sega Rally games we got ported to Sega Saturn and Dreamcast and in a lot of ways feels like Dreamcast 3 existed. It has all the charm, excitement and intensity of a Sega Rally game...except with fully modern visuals. Add in the fact that the handling and entire physics engine works extremely well for the genre...and you have a modern Sega arcade racing game that just feels like a modernized version of what we used to love.

But that got me thinking GAF...what are the BEST and WORST third games in a series? Ones that absolutely nailed it and one's that absolutely ruined the fun that came before it

SkylineRKR

Huh? Was there a Sega Rally3?!

Yeah, and it was on PS3 and 360 as well, under the name Sega Rally Online Arcade. I have it on my US account which I long lost my login details for. It was okay, nothing like the first 2 but decent fun. Its 30fps, unlike the arcade version.

SR3 was based on Revo. Which was pretty okay too.

Naked Lunch

Something seems very wrong with the camera in Rally 3. Its too stuck to the car, too rigid - you can see a direct comparison in the Rally 1 footage of the video how the camera allows you to see the side of the car at certain points during turns.

Ive got Sega Rally Online and Revo on 360 - I still have yet to put any serious time into either.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I have a hate/hate relationship with this game!

This is called Sega Rally Revo on home ports. The console ports suck because they are 30fps. Unacceptable.

The PC version sucks even more because it's the number 1, worst PC port of all time, because for some reason it runs at 62 fps internally and there is no solution to make it smooth. It's basically completely broken.

The best way to play this game is through Teknoparrot but even there i feel the frame pacing is inconsistent.

Something seems very wrong with the camera in Rally 3. Its too stuck to the car, too rigid - you can see a direct comparison in the Rally 1 footage of the video how the camera allows you to see the side of the car at certain points during turns.

Yeah, it bothers me too. I saw this in some later Initial D games as well.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I have a hate/hate relationship with this game!

This is called Sega Rally Revo on home ports. The console ports suck because they are 30fps. Unacceptable.

The PC version sucks even more because it's the number 1, worst PC port of all time, because for some reason it runs at 62 fps internally and there is no solution to make it smooth. It's basically completely broken.

The best way to play this game is through Teknoparrot but even there i feel the frame pacing is inconsistent.

Yeah, it bothers me too. I saw this in some later Initial D games as well.
More modern Initial D games can give you some issues in tight corners when you can’t see the far ass end of your bumper

Alx

Many people complained about Virtua Fighter 3 because it broke many habits of seasoned players, but I really liked it. Free movement in 3D for all characters, uneven stages and juggles that made you rely on your real-time perception of the game and not timed combos, and of course pretty graphics for the time.

VGEsoterica

Many people complained about Virtua Fighter 3 because it broke many habits of seasoned players, but I really liked it. Free movement in 3D for all characters, uneven stages and juggles that made you rely on your real-time perception of the game and not timed combos, and of course pretty graphics for the time.
3 was def different but nowhere near the “ruined it” metric

GymWolf

I loved infamous 3 because i'm a sucker for that specific type of open world, but going from cole, zeke and the creature to fucking dhalsim, reggae and keyra agustina was shockingly bad...

dave_d

I loved infamous 3 because i'm a sucker for that specific type of open world, but going from cole, zeke and the creature to fucking dhalsim, reggae and keyra agustina was shockingly bad...
I didn’t understand why people disliked infamous 3 but I played that first then just recently played infamous 1 and 2. I understand it now.

GymWolf

I didn’t understand why people disliked infamous 3 but I played that first then just recently played infamous 1 and 2. I understand it now.
Yeah, the first 2 are hero stories, the third one is a fucking jackass story.

Combat, traversal and graphic was obviously better, but everything else was inferior.

gunstarhero

SR3 is a really underrated entry - I recall the terrain deformation being a cool feature of the game, actually effecting your drive. Wish this got a modern console port.

nush

Gold Member
How good was Virtua Cop 3? I only played it once, not enough to make an informed opinion before it disappeared and lost to time.

Top Bottom