• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn in FPGA got one step closer to reality this week

VGEsoterica

I do love original hardware, but watching these developments on the MiSTer FPGA side of things has been a ton of fun too. Especially the Sega Saturn core. Considering the Saturn architecture is a mess of silicon that was a mess to develop for back in the 90's, the thought that a developer could recreate the hardware in logic elements on an FPGA chip is nothing short of magic.

Two processors running in tandem, VDP 1 and VDP 2 to deal with...all on an FPGA chip smaller in footprint than one of the Saturns SH-2 chips (granted manufacturing has improved too haha)

It's especially impressive considering the dev lives in Ukraine and has...just a few OTHER things probably going on...and continues to commit new code to GitHub for the Saturn core.

Since Saturn emualtion isnt even 100% yet, the fact this even works in a beta form is just straight up cool and I hope it gets more people playing Saturn (especially the Japanese exclusives)

Anyone on GAF trying this new core out yet?

nkarafo

Mednafen Saturn is great and more complete obviously but it's one of the very few software emulators that suffers from additional input lag (normally, most software emulators have zero additional frames of lag themselves).

I assume this core fixes this? Hope so because maybe that information will help the Mednafen developers as well.

VGEsoterica

Mednafen Saturn is great and more complete obviously but it's one of the very few software emulators that suffers from additional input lag (normally, most software emulators have zero additional frames of lag themselves).

I assume this core fixes this? Hope so because maybe that information will help the Mednafen developers as well.
yes at this stage any lag is just in your TV

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I need to get one of these FPGA devices eventually... I could see it replacing some of the mess I have under the retro-gaming CRT upstairs (eg., different old systems, some knockoffs, with flashable cartridges, and a million cords).

VGEsoterica

I need to get one of these FPGA devices eventually... I could see it replacing some of the mess I have under the retro-gaming CRT upstairs (eg., different old systems, some knockoffs, with flashable cartridges, and a million cords).
I gave up like 5 years ago trying to keep everything connected. Wires turned into a fucking rat king. So now I keep the consoles nicely on shelves and the cables separately. I just move and plug in whatever I want to play

PhaseJump

Banned
In my office I have the whole Saturn library backed up, a fully loaded Satiator in a Saturn, A MiSTer FPGA stack in a PCB case beside it, and a PC with Jo Engine installed because I'm clearly fucking nuts. Yet, testing, comparing, or giving feedback for anything in the mister scene is more trouble than it's worth.

VGEsoterica

In my office I have the whole Saturn library backed up, a fully loaded Satiator in a Saturn, A MiSTer FPGA stack in a PCB case beside it, and a PC with Jo Engine installed because I'm clearly fucking nuts. Yet, testing, comparing, or giving feedback for anything in the mister scene is more trouble than it's worth.
the MiSTer scene is interesting. I am adjacent to it...because the only person I ever want to please / entertain is myself lol

I also have a massive physical Saturn library

VGEsoterica

The emulator on Switch for Cotton is even worse

Top Bottom