• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega says it’s planning ‘multiple’ remakes, remasters and new games this year (VGC)

kingfey

Banned

Sega has promised a “significant increase in new titles” by the end of March 2023, including new remakes and remasters of its classic games.

In a presentation detailing its results for the fiscal year ending March 2022, parent company Sega Sammy reported strong sales of console and PC games, citing increased profits compared to FY2021 and forecasting even higher numbers for FY2023.

It puts this forecast down to a “significant increase in titles”, as well as continued revenue from the “large number of new titles” released during FY2022.

This includes a number of new games it describes as “remake / remaster, spin-off [or] change of theme”, of which it says it is “planning multiple titles”.

According to Sega, in the last financial year, it sold approximately 4 million games that fell into this category, including Sonic Colours Ultimate, Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania and Lost Judgment (which is considered a spin-off of Yakuza).

Sega predicts that it will sell around 5 million games in the same category in the financial year ending March 2023. This will include Sonic Origins, which is released on June 23.

In terms of its games in general, Sega says that seven titles released in the last financial year had a global simultaneous launch and multi-platform support, resulting in around 6 million sales.

For the financial year ending 2023, it forecasts more than double the number of sales – around 13 million – due to a drastic increase in the number of new titles getting simultaneous global launches (13 compared to 7).

It was reported last month that Sega is working on big-budget reboots of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio, though these are so early in development that they almost certainly won’t be among the remakes and remasters planned for FY2023.

Bloomberg‘s report last month cites sources which claim that the two reboots will be the first titles in Sega’s ‘Super Game’ initiative, a five-year strategy involving what executive VP Shuji Utsumi has previously called “the development of AAA titles that cross over Sega’s comprehensive range of technologies”.

According to the new report, both games are in the early stages of creation and could yet be cancelled, but it’s believed that the new Crazy Taxi has already been in development for more than a year, with the aim being to potentially release it in 2024 or 2025

ACESHIGH

Banned
should release the following at least:

VF5 PC Port
Japan only Yakuzas to PC and Next gen
Strong arm ATLUS to port games to PC and other platforms on the double. Starting with Vanillaware. Atlus games are big now, they don't have an excuse.
Arcade Racing games collection. Give me 4k 60 FPS Scud Race.
Saturn games collection

Basically realize that there is more than Sonic in your back catalog. They may have the best backcatalog of IPs in the industry.

Mister Wolf

They really should invest in turning Phantasy Star into a popular JRPG franchise again. Keep it turn based or mmo style like Xenoblade/FF12. There are enough middling combat action rpgs coming out of japan.

Last edited:

PJX

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

PhaseJump

Banned
should release the following at least:

VF5 PC Port
Japan only Yakuzas to PC and Next gen
Strong arm ATLUS to port games to PC and other platforms on the double. Starting with Vanillaware. Atlus games are big now, they don't have an excuse.
Arcade Racing games collection. Give me 4k 60 FPS Scud Race.
Saturn games collection

Basically realize that there is more than Sonic in your back catalog. They may have the best backcatalog of IPs in the industry.

Best back catalog of IPs that are dead and don't sell in the first place. I love Sega, but wish fulfillment has never been this hard, or delivered by anybody in the industry.

At best, I think we'll get obscure arcade ports or a new Shining trash fire. Maybe Switch Phantasy Star 1, Persona 3 (finally) ported to Steam. Maybe VF5 Ultimate Showodwn will be PC and Xbox released.

Remakes and ports of remakes, while Sega potentially jerks off about Fog Gaming again, and how they can pipe dream about Crazy Taxiing or rollerblading around a Super Game, more likely just a janky ass persistent world similar to a PSO2 hub.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If they announced a remake of Skies of Arcadia... man I would quite honestly cry...

Also can you perhaps drop the F2P Phantasy Star Online 2 shit and remake PSO episodes 1 2 & 4 to release as a sort of stand alone Diablo service we pay once to have access to, thanks.

Faithless83

Banned
Just start by localizing the japanese only stuff, (Sakura Wars, some Yakuza games).
Next port Initial D to consoles and every SEGA arcade game as well.
Revive the dead projects like the Phantasy Star remakes, port PSO BB to consoles while you're at it.

STOP licensing your old games to third parties for remakes. HOD and Panzer Dragoon were subpar.

lyan

If they announced a remake of Skies of Arcadia... man I would quite honestly cry...

Also can you perhaps drop the F2P Phantasy Star Online 2 shit and remake PSO episodes 1 2 & 4 to release as a sort of stand alone Diablo service we pay once to have access to, thanks.
I think Portable or Nova would be more suitable for the job.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yakuza 8 please, I need to know what Ichiban and his pals have been up to.

Also yeah, por every Atlus game to every platform.

The Shepard

I'd like a yakuza 3 kiwami. I actually preferred it to 4 and 5 after playing them a couple of years ago on ps4. Loved the summer vibe of it. Also persona 4 golden on current consoles, preferred that to 5 also.

cireza

Banned
There is quite a bit of history behind this Dreamcast initiative back then, so it is very interesting to have posted this.

Back then there was a guy named Mike Hayes at SEGA of America that was doing a good job and had many initiatives behind him. He actually wanted to push for Dreamcast games on PS360 and PC. During this period, we had quite a few games being ported. However they realized that it was not as trivial as expected and each game required a lot of effort, this is why the initiative eventually ended after only some games.

There were both Sonic Adventure games, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel, Sega Bass Fishing, Jet Set Radio and Rez if I remember correctly.
SEGA Japan had a similar initiative with the AM Conversion Team, that was making some awesome ports of arcade games. But this also ended eventually. Too bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom