• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega says it’s planning ‘multiple’ remakes, remasters and new games this year (VGC)

Dorago

Two words: Golden Axe (Death Adders Revenge).

Two more words:

Fantasy Zone
(Michael Jackson's) Moon-walker
Virtual On
and finally Hang On, with a new $10,000 full size motorcycle controller.

sCHOCOLATE

1. Virtua Fighter compilation (VF, VF2 and VF3).
2. Kids Fighter compilation (VF Kids, Fighters Megamix)
3. Ferrari F355 Challenge needs to be resurrected.
4. Daytona USA compilation (Daytona USA and Daytona USA 2)
5. Sega Super GT/SCUD Race needs to be resurrected.
6. Sega Rally compilation (Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2).
7. Virtua Cop compilation (VC, VC2).
8. The House of the Dead compilation (1, 2 and "The Typing" variant).
9. Virtua Striker compilation (1 and 2).

These are just some of the titles produced by Sega AM2 (Amusement Machine 2), nevermind the other R&D divisions.

Sega have been sitting on a treasure-trove of IPs for decades.
And what do they (re-)release most frequently? Sonic... Monkey Ball...
Jesus H!

PhaseJump

Banned
A bunch of these games people list have been released on Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, and 3DS or Switch in the past few years.
Sega's been whoring itself out to put nostalgia in front of everybody for their 60th anniversary.

This thread is almost an annual thing. Their year end shows up, they talk about how surprised or excited they are at PC ports making money or a handful of franchises in general. They talk about how they're going to invest in new and exciting things that generally don't make sense in any clear way. Blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, all the old talent is dying out or retiring. None of their IP makes big money but Sonic the Hedgehog. You need to be 25+ years old to have any meaningful, active history with Sega's platform branding. None of the Atlus stuff is above being niche, and it takes them years to release or port Persona games across multiple generations. Japan's arcade stuff never gets localized. Western PC game development houses they own are where they thrive and get no traditional "Sega" love for.

Everybody here is drinking some heavily tainted kool-aid, circle jerking about all the failures they want to see dug up and put on display.
The only quality they have left is Yakuza, and Virtua Fighter. The later, stuck in quasi-dead-franchise hell with the Ultimate Showdown/eSports Pandering Edition, being a limited, exclusive, botched, training wheels tech demo port for their team. I would jokingly say that PSO2 microtransactions keeps the lights on in their arcade centers, but they closed that shit down while re-shuffling the corporate deck for the 10000th time in the last few decades.

I want all the ports and collections. I'm also cynical, jaded, and grounded in reality enough to know that Sammy is not old Sega, and that I would laugh if Microsoft were to acquire them and actively fund old shit ports, to fill in gaps in their own lineup.

cireza

Banned
A bunch of these games people list have been released on Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, and 3DS or Switch in the past few years.
Sega's been whoring itself out to put nostalgia in front of everybody for their 60th anniversary.

This thread is almost an annual thing. Their year end shows up, they talk about how surprised or excited they are at PC ports making money or a handful of franchises in general. They talk about how they're going to invest in new and exciting things that generally don't make sense in any clear way. Blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, all the old talent is dying out or retiring. None of their IP makes big money but Sonic the Hedgehog. You need to be 25+ years old to have any meaningful, active history with Sega's platform branding. None of the Atlus stuff is above being niche, and it takes them years to release or port Persona games across multiple generations. Japan's arcade stuff never gets localized. Western PC game development houses they own are where they thrive and get no traditional "Sega" love for.

Everybody here is drinking some heavily tainted kool-aid, circle jerking about all the failures they want to see dug up and put on display.
The only quality they have left is Yakuza, and Virtua Fighter. The later, stuck in quasi-dead-franchise hell with the Ultimate Showdown/eSports Pandering Edition, being a limited, exclusive, botched, training wheels tech demo port for their team. I would jokingly say that PSO2 microtransactions keeps the lights on in their arcade centers, but they closed that shit down while re-shuffling the corporate deck for the 10000th time in the last few decades.

I want all the ports and collections. I'm also cynical, jaded, and grounded in reality enough to know that Sammy is not old Sega, and that I would laugh if Microsoft were to acquire them and actively fund old shit ports, to fill in gaps in their own lineup.
There are still glimpses of the old SEGA through games like Valkyria Chronicles or the SEGA AGES games supervised by Rieko Kodama and developed by M2. Worth supporting these, in my opinion.

should release the following at least:

VF5 PC Port
Japan only Yakuzas to PC and Next gen
Strong arm ATLUS to port games to PC and other platforms on the double. Starting with Vanillaware. Atlus games are big now, they don't have an excuse.
Arcade Racing games collection. Give me 4k 60 FPS Scud Race.
Saturn games collection

Basically realize that there is more than Sonic in your back catalog. They may have the best backcatalog of IPs in the industry.
Amen. Bring Persona 4 to Ps4/5! ...I'd be happy if Sega did nothing else but do remakes and remasters (as long as they're not lazily outsourced versions)

Is sonic colors ultimate in better shape now?

Manji Uzuki

Great news if this means they will pay nore attention to their Saturn and Dreamcast catalog and not just release another Megadrive compilation 🙏 🙏

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
A giant like Sega cannot be reborn in a few years but it's getting better.

More important, the dude in charge of the Sega Dreamcast gems (he was behind the full lineup) is back at Sega to lead the Super Games initiative and produce a load of AAA:

He'll work with Kodama(Phantasy Star), Kanno (Crazy Taxi), Kikuchi (Jet Set Radio), Tanaka (Valkyria Chronicles), Oda (House of the Dead), Katagiri (Virtua Fighter), Uchida (Golden Axe), Osaki (Outrun 2), Sakamoto (F-Zero GX), Yokoyama (Ollie Kings),Otsubo (Skies of Arcadia)...

As you can see, there are a lot of legendary developers remaining at Sega and this time their talent won't be alocated to mobile games, most of them will work on real console games.(arcade teams merged with console teams... The AAA are probably the true reason behind this choice)

Honestly there are many reasons to be enthusiastics... (Ok there are still concerns about NFT for instance but no doubt a new F2P Crazy Taxi will be 10 times better for us than the mobile games that Kanno produced dor Japan only...)

Last edited:
Need a Remake of this lets go
vKUziI7.png

sachos

SEGA if what you say is true its time for you to bring your arcade racers back. Sega GT, Sega Rally, Outrun, Daytona USA, Scud. Add split screen support to diferentiate them from the current mainstream racing games, make them stand out over open world racers with beautifully designed tracks and varied environments not possible on an open world.

Top Bottom