• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Will Re-Release Sonic 3 & Knuckles In A New Sonic Collection

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The leaker Zippo is claiming Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles will be making a comeback in a new Sonic collection. This was the information shared over on their blog page:

"It's back. And I promise you that I'm not shi***** you. It was thought to be impossible, but it's coming. There will be some changes, though. More soon."
The reference to it being "impossible", is likely tied to the legal issues surrounding the music in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - some of the tracks were apparently composed by Michael Jackson but went uncredited. In an attempt to not go off on a tangent here, it seems Sega could have finally worked out a way to revive this classic.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most useless rumour/leak ever, like they haven't re-released Mega Drive II games enough, they do it every now and then while letting others rot. What's that bs about licensing preventing it, it was re-released on Saturn in Sonic Jam and it's been on Steam for a decade.
Idk if it has removed any music or not but even if that's the case they've already got the solution and already used it then...

Last edited:

nkarafo

I bet they are going to use different music? That would be a reason not to bother with this. I think Mike's music tracks are the Carnival, Ice Cap and Launch Base zones. Ice Cap being the best one of the three.

There is always "Sonic 3 AIR" for PCs.

ManaByte

Most useless rumour/leak ever, like they haven't re-released Mega Drive II games enough, they do it every now and then while letting others rot. What's that bs about licensing preventing it, it was re-released on Saturn in Sonic Jam and it's been on Steam for a decade.
Idk if it has removed any music or not but even if that's the case they've already got the solution and already used it then...
That Steam release is ancient. After MJ’s death and the Estate taking over everything, Sega has not released Sonic 3.

It was the only Sonic game missing from the PS4/XBO/Switch collection and it wasn’t one of the Sega Forever mobile releases.

theclaw135

Banned
The PC digital version is a weird one. It's sold and marketed specifically as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Unlike previous compilations, the original Sonic 3 and S&K are not included or provided.

Saber

Gold Member
If by change means using Sonic 3 Prototype music(which I find awesome btw), then I'm all for it. Hope it ends being true, most rumors nowadays are people starving for attention.

theclaw135

Banned

Consoles haven't fared so well. XBLA was the last time Sonic 3 in any capacity has been released on a console.
And original DS remains the only physical copy for portables.

Last edited:
i hate when stuff like this happens 😞 this why Capcom won't re-release the Rival Schools games
Whoa, what? What's the issue with Rival Schools?

Not sure about the validity of these rumors. To be honest, I don't care -- I have the Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles carts for the original Genesis. I love that lock-on mechanism. And even better, I love being able to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2.

ManaByte

Dancing GIF

JSoup

Banned
That Steam release is ancient. After MJ’s death and the Estate taking over everything, Sega has not released Sonic 3.

It was the only Sonic game missing from the PS4/XBO/Switch collection and it wasn’t one of the Sega Forever mobile releases.

What's fun about the Steam version is you can update it with version fixes via workshop.

The Shepard

Get the guy who done sonic 1 and 2 to do the music if he's still about. They had 2 of the best soundtracks from the 16 bit era.

Soodanim

The issue specifically is why the (arguably) best game from the original trilogy never got the same treatment that 1 and 2 got, which is the nice smooth widescreen mobile port. When they mysterious stop and precious ports have had music changed, it suggests an issue regarding distribution in some form, possibly to do with changed versions and not straight releases like the currently available port.

A long video, but it goes into the timeline of it all and the base tracks for some of the Sonic 3 songs
I bet they are going to use different music? That would be a reason not to bother with this. I think Mike's music tracks are the Carnival, Ice Cap and Launch Base zones. Ice Cap being the best one of the three.

There is always "Sonic 3 AIR" for PCs.
I am new to Sonic 3 A.I.R, and I recently went through the 3 stages. Aside from Carnival, which I never really liked originally so any change is fine, the tracks MJ definitely elevate the music.

For anyone looking for a definitive version of Sonic 3&K, it may not exist yet but there are two contenders. The first is Sonic 3 A.I.R, as mentioned a few times ITT. The second is an older one, Sonic 3 Complete. You can get it for emulators or from the Steam Workshop if you own Sonic 3&K there.

Sonic 3 Complete does a few things S3AIR doesn’t, like adding cutscenes between certain events like after you beat Robotnik in Launch Base and the Death Egg falls. It also has the option to change the stage order into what may have originally been intended based on transitions between stages (a flying battery door being the original snowboard for Ice Cap, for example). It also has the ton of options S3AIR has for music and sprites with a few more options thrown in.

nkarafo

Sonic 3 Complete is nice but AIR has widescreen and a remastered soundtack that sounds cleaner and doesn't mute instruments to fit sfx. Its great because its the exact same music with slightly better sound quality. Though it does have the option for using the original quality, emulated music.

AIR is a PC mod that wouldn't run on a real Genesis so it doesn't have to work in those constraints, like the console's limited sound channels. Complete is a rom hack that can work on the real console.

Also, i'm pretty sure AIR also has the option to change the order of the levels like Complete.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Sonic 3 Complete is nice but AIR has widescreen and a remastered soundtack that sounds cleaner and doesn't mute instruments to fit sfx. Its great because its the exact same music with slightly better sound quality. Though it does have the option for using the original quality, emulated music.

AIR is a PC mod that wouldn't run on a real Genesis so it doesn't have to work in those constraints, like the console's limited sound channels. Complete is a rom hack that can work on the real console.

Also, i'm pretty sure AIR also has the option to change the order of the levels like Complete.
I haven’t noticed a level order setting yet, but I hope I’ve just missed it.

I 100% agree about the music, there’s not a single instance where the remaster wasn’t better (I went through the whole sound test).

I still need to finish my Sonic & Tails play through, so I’ll have another look for the level order setting then.

Mr Hyde

Recently bought the Mega Drive Collection on Switch and noticed Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were omitted, which was a huge disappointment since they are my favorites. Sucks that I have to buy yet another collection but I really want those two games.

Soodanim

It could be a recent change, dunno. I have the last version that was released this month.
Typical. There’s no update for a year but as soon as I download it there’s an update within days.

I couldn’t find anything about zone order, so I looked into it. Their Discord has a maintained list of mods that specifically mentions bringing back Complete features. So things can be done, but they’re not part of the base S3AIR.

There’s some other mods that change palettes to match Sonic 3 Complete, too.

It’s not quite as simple as AIR being the best depending on what you’re looking for, but they’re both really good.

ManaByte

Recently bought the Mega Drive Collection on Switch and noticed Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were omitted, which was a huge disappointment since they are my favorites. Sucks that I have to buy yet another collection but I really want those two games.

The 360 versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are BC. They're bare bones rom dumps but they're better than nothing right now.

Nakasan

The 360 versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are BC. They're bare bones rom dumps but they're better than nothing right now.

What's the input lag like on them, do you know? On the mega drive collection it's game breaking (to me) for the action games on Switch. Can work around it easily enough for shining force tho, for eg.

SegaShack

I stick with the original Sonic 3 and then Sonic and Knuckles. I don't do lock on mode usually as it changes the Sonic 3 boss music.

SegaShack

Excuse me, Sonic 3+ Sonic and knuckles is the best music.
I am saying I play both but individually. Besides the boss music being universal if you lock on the cartridge, the rest of the soundtrack doesn't change.

Actually you miss out on the Sonic 3 end credits song if you lock them on.

nkarafo

I couldn’t find anything about zone order, so I looked into it. Their Discord has a maintained list of mods that specifically mentions bringing back Complete features. So things can be done, but they’re not part of the base S3AIR.
My bad. It was the "Level Layouts" option and i was remembering it wrong.

nkarafo

Soodanim Soodanim

Damn... I played Sonic 3 Complete with the original level order option. Falling from the Flying Battery ship by breaking the door and snowboarding with it (instead of a regular, random snowboard) at the beginning of Ice Cap was another level of cool for me. Made this amazing game even better after all these years.

Klart

Nice. But if they are making the 17th or so Sonic Collection, I'd better have A LOT of Sonic games on it & not just the classics. I want at least 15 Sonic games on that MF.

Last edited:

Thabass

If it doesn't have the music from Sonic 3, then it's a no buy from me. Sorry, I just can't do it without Ice Cap Zone's music. It's too iconic to be left out, no matter who originally created it.

Soodanim

My bad. It was the "Level Layouts" option and i was remembering it wrong.
I was confused by that too, an easy mistake to make!
Soodanim Soodanim

Damn... I played Sonic 3 Complete with the original level order option. Falling from the Flying Battery ship by breaking the door and snowboarding with it (instead of a regular, random snowboard) at the beginning of Ice Cap was another level of cool for me. Made this amazing game even better after all these years.
I'm a big fan of the originally planned level order too, I think it has a better flow and the Flying Battery > Ice Cap transition is a perfect example. It's a shame all of the development delays caused Sega to split the game in two.

Now I'm back at my PC I've had some time to look through the mod site a bit more, and I've found this list of S3C mods. If these all work as intended, it could be the best of both.

nkarafo

I was confused by that too, an easy mistake to make!

I'm a big fan of the originally planned level order too, I think it has a better flow and the Flying Battery > Ice Cap transition is a perfect example. It's a shame all of the development delays caused Sega to split the game in two.

Now I'm back at my PC I've had some time to look through the mod site a bit more, and I've found this list of S3C mods. If these all work as intended, it could be the best of both.
Thanks for the list.

I only used the level order and door snowboard replacement and they work fine.

Edit: Added the night palette for Flying Battery and the title cards. They also work.

The only thing that bothers me about Sonic 3 AIR is that it's not optimized to work at anything except 60hz screens. In my 240hz monitor i get all kinds of stutters during scrolling or loss of sync or simply frame pacing issues. I tried every Video Option and i can't get it to run smoothly 100% of the time like i can with Sonic 3 Complete. The only solution is to change my monitor from 240 to 60hz every time i want to play this game. Which is not great.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

That’s according to a new listing spotted on French retail site Sogamely – the same company which seemingly outed an upcoming Sonic Colors remaster last month.

The listing simply names, “Sonic Collection EU version” for PlayStation 4. If accurate, the listing could corroborate claims made by a noted insider earlier this year, that Sega was planning a new collection with Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 1 & 2, and other games “that have never seen a re-release before.”

Game publisher Sega previously promised to mark Sonic’s 30th anniversary this year with the release of new games and some major announcements.

Bridges

The listing simply names, “Sonic Collection EU version” for PlayStation 4. If accurate, the listing could corroborate claims made by a noted insider earlier this year, that Sega was planning a new collection with Retro Engine remakes of Sonic 1 & 2, and other games “that have never seen a re-release before.”
Finally, we'll be able to play Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic '06 on modern consoles

Fake

Sonic Colors Ultimate and S3K its all I always wanted.

I'll be very happy this year if all of this is true.

Top Bottom