• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega's consoles failed mostly because they only had one blockbuster FP franchise, Sonic (2 if you include Japan)

No mention of Streets of Rage in that list? Insanity. Hell, Phantasy Star is still a gigantic franchise, even if it is via the MMO. Sega had several franchises in the 16 bit era, though they left a lot of them by the wayside in the transition to 32-bit. Sega's downfall was that they could never be a success in all three major territories at once. Master System succeeded in Europe, Genesis did so in the US and Europe. Saturn was a success in Japan, and Dreamcast started out well in the US while dying in Europe and losing a lot of share in Japan. A lot of that was their desire to constantly move on to the next thing. They could have kep the Genny afloat while people migrated to 32 bit, but didn't, and The Saturn to Dreamcast transition was hot garbage as well. By then... it didn't matter anymore as their funds had dried out. Well, that and losing too much on each Dreamcast. I think a luanch at $249 would have maybe leped keep them afloat a bit longer, but realistically the insane hype for the PS2 along with the flat out lies about its capabilities mixed with the DVD player at $299 could not be beat. Sony was in a position to lose more money on each system for longer than Sega was.

NickFire

They failed because of stupid hardware decisions. Sega CD, 32X, and then Saturn killed Sega. Dreamcast was born with a terminal illness because of Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn.

And screw Sega for screwing me over on each one of those pieces of junk! I was just a kid. How could they do that to a kid?

They failed because of stupid hardware decisions. Sega CD, 32X, and then Saturn killed Sega. Dreamcast was born with a terminal illness because of Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn.

And screw Sega for screwing me over on each one of those pieces of junk! I was just a kid. How could they do that to a kid?
The Sega CD was great! As was the Saturn, the managment of them was pretty crap in the US, but love them both to bits. The 32x... eh... not so much.

Top Bottom