• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro | Shadows die once and get the fuck out

Guilty_AI

I recently beat Sekiro and i have to say, playing it alongside Elden Ring was an interesting experience.

Both games have naturally their roots on Dark Souls, but they have completely different design philosophies born from it. Elden Ring is much more about character building, experimentation and 'play it your way' mechanics. On the other hand Sekiro really wants you to play the game in a specific way, the one that requires reflex skill, closely remembering boss paterns and pressing the right button in the right frame window of time.

As an example of that, the game supposedly also lets you play stealthly, but it really seems to 'despise' that approach because its more than happy to throw it out altogether from the window when it feels like it. One thing that shows its changrin towards stealth (and felt like a really cheap nerf honestly) is during mid-boss fights, where if the boss loses sight of you it'll regenerate all of its health and health bars, making stealth killing it impossible, at best removing a single healthbar from him.
I think they should've either fleshed out stealth mechanics a bit more, in order to not cause a situation of different rule-sets for different moments, or done away with them almost completely.

Aside from that, i enjoyed the levels and the combat, the war-torn japanese setting also made for some quite good looking settings. It did suffer a bit from having a multitude of mostly useless gadgets, there were only a select few of items and prosthetic tools that actually helped me through the game, and a few that were only really useful in very specific situations. Considering its linear nature i don't know how much more useful stuff like the the Divine Abduction would've been for different playstyles.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro shares some elements from their pervious game but this FROM's take on action game rather than "Souls" game. For me Sekiro is my Favourite FROM game, not only because has most satisfying melee combat but also it has proper characters I can get attache to, mostly thanks to being single player game only.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Sekiro shares some elements from their pervious game but this FROM's take on action game rather than "Souls" game. For me Sekiro is my Favourite FROM game, not only because has most satisfying melee combat but also it has proper characters I can get attache to, mostly thanks to being single player game only.
Actually yeah, i felt more attached to the characters in this one than i do in other souls games. I think the endings were also pretty great, especially the purification ending, though i didn't like how convoluted it is to achieve some of them.

Danjin44

Actually yeah, i felt more attached to the characters in this one than i do in other souls games. I think the endings were also pretty great, especially the purification ending, though i didn't like how convoluted it is to achieve some of them.
This is mostly because Demons/ Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring are online games at heart. You control avatar rather than proper character, NPC are nothing more than lore dumb that give you quests instead of being proper characters like Emma, Kuro and Sculptor.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is mostly because Demons/ Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring are online games at heart. You control avatar rather than proper character, NPC are nothing more than lore dumb that give you quests instead of being proper characters like Emma, Kuro and Sculptor.
Not having a fleshed out main character, or not having fleshed out characters in general, does not make a game "online at heart."

I find that a really strange characterization of what makes a game "an online game."

Guilty_AI

I like Ranni tho

yfk4c5ki1ir81.png

Danjin44

Not having a fleshed out main character, or not having fleshed out characters in general, does not make a game "online at heart."

I find that a really strange characterization of what makes a game "an online game."
To me its similar to Monster Hunter, you can also play that completely offline but the game is made with online in mind. its has lore but it not very story heavy with flash out characters.

IntentionalPun

To me its similar to Monster Hunter, you can also play that completely offline but the game is made with online in mind. its has lore but it not very story heavy with flash out characters.

And a metric ton of completely offline games that have no online elements also do not have super fleshed out lore/characters. That's all I meant.. the 2 things are just not particularly related.

Last edited:
I actually went through older From games. People don't realize that they have been around for a long time.

Don't care about gameplay but their stories are interesting and you can see the influence from Echo night and Kuon.

Danjin44

And a metric ton of completely offline games that have no online elements also do not have super fleshed out lore/characters. That's all I meant.. the 2 things are just not particularly related.
Sure, to me FROM was able to make Sekiro much more character focus story compare to their pervious games because they didn't need to put PVP or co-op in Sekiro.

IntentionalPun

Sure, to me FROM was able to make Sekiro much more character focus story compare to their pervious games because they didn't need to put PVP or co-op in Sekiro.

Yeah I can understand that direction for sure; but I still don't think Elden Ring is in any way an online game at heart lol

It is easier to make a story driven game offline for sure though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah I can understand that direction for sure; but I still don't think Elden Ring is in any way an online game at heart lol

It is easier to make a story driven game offline for sure though.
I'm not saying Elden Ring is like Overwatch that can only played online but it is community based game, it relies on it lore more than characters development and narration when it comes how it tells its story.

Rival

Gold Member
I still need to try Sekiro. I saw it was on sale on steam for $29.99 but I’m also not good at From games and know I’ll suck at this one. Just how hard is it?

AndrewRyan

Just started Sekiro this week and loving it so far. Never got into other From Software titles but the combat is what interests me.

The combat is hard and tricky but feels fair. The parrying and step-dodge are responsive and feel terrific. Love the grappling hook for traversing and sometimes useful for dodging multiple enemies. The stealth is a nice change of pace, even though the AI is braindead. Executing from above feels great like Assassins Creed.

Biggest gripe is probably the color pallet that makes the enemies blend into the environment, making them hard to see them unless they're moving. Also not a fan of the Dragonrot system when dying - the game is hard enough without penalizing you further, geez.

Been switching between this and Ghost of Tsushima before deciding which one to commit to first. Liked GoT more at first (probably cause it's easier) but am now leaning towards Sekiro the more I play.

MadPanda

Banned
Sekiro is my favorite From game. I've been thinking about it for a while and I'm about to buy it again. Isshin as that longer ending is my favorite From boss. I just enjoy that combat so much, that's why I went with dexterity/arcane build in Elden Ring but it still doesn't scratch that itch. I think it's underrated because it's not a souls game.

I agree, except Sekiro is my least favorite post-Demon's Sould From game.

Guilty_AI

I still need to try Sekiro. I saw it was on sale on steam for $29.99 but I’m also not good at From games and know I’ll suck at this one. Just how hard is it?
Having good reflexes is basically a must, there are no real crutches or alternative playstyles you can rely too much on.
If you don't have confidence in being able to "press the right button at the right moment in this millisecond frame window" you might have a really bad time with it.

Last edited:
Pretty fucking hard lol
Such a fantastic game, right after Bloodborne for game of the generation. With better combat than Bloodborne even.

rogr rogr

I'm currently playing it, after Bloodborne and before Elden Ring. Hard AF, but delicious to play. I feel now that I'm finally free from shield addiction.

The title nailed it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only "modern" From game (i.e. from DeS on) I haven't played. I want to though. But it's still seemingly full price on PS Store, and the physical version seems impossible to find.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I can honestly say Sekiro is one the most difficult games ever made outside of Japanese bullethell shmups and maybe something like F-Zero GX.
In other games you can artificially make the game tougher choosing higher difficulties - but as a base game, Sekiro is as tough as it gets.
There are no real easy shortcuts - you must learn and master the gameplay.

Sekiro is worth the learning curve and dealing with the difficulty though - one of the best games of all time.

Guilty_AI

I can honestly say Sekiro is one the most difficult games ever made outside of Japanese bullethell shmups and maybe something like F-Zero GX.
In other games you can artificially make the game tougher choosing higher difficulties - but as a base game, Sekiro is as tough as it gets.
There are no real easy shortcuts - you must learn and master the gameplay.

Sekiro is worth the learning curve and dealing with the difficulty though - one of the best games of all time.
I wouldn't classify it as extremely difficult simply because its difficulty exists in "bottlenecks", essentially a few very tough boss fights you have to get through. Aside from those, the game doesn't tend to be all that hard.

SeraphJan

A fantastic game

Difficulty wise, the level design are pretty easy and straight forward(the easiest among Souls games), the difficult part were certain bosses or mini-bosses encounter

This game and Nioh are two of my favorite Feudal Japan themed games

Last edited:

Kabelly

I rebought it just yesterday for PC and 60fps is just so good for this game.
I'm just starting Elden Ring but Sekiro is still love.

bbeach123

I despise the classic shortcut(hotkey) design of souls game . Press one button to change tools , press another to use it , only have 1 hotkey for abilities , you want to use another ? Open your freaking menu to change it .

Elden ring a bit better about this , they gave the players another 4 shortcut ( thanks god for that) .

For this reason I never changed prosthetic tools mid fight in Sekiro , what so hard about making L1/L2+XYAB for abilities shortcut .

Last edited:
Top Bottom