• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

J3nga

Do I spam press parry or just at last minute? I actually think I was leaving it too long to press lol. From what I recall Bloodborne was quite offensive strategy wise.

That chain ogre mini boss the menu says to dodge it but his jump almost auto locks on to me, eventually it connects.

Which way is best to go first the present or the past? 😊

Getting the right timings should be a priority, just blocking doesn't damage enemy's posture and on NG+ without Kuro's charm holding block does damage to your HP's.

Chained ogre is kinda trickery boss, because you don't kill him the way you kill vast majority of the bosses. Him, one in the middle and one optional at the very end of the game are souls like bosses that you go for the HP's.

All the other samurai-like bosses fight tactics works this way: Learn his move set/patterns, once boss is open hit him, keep doing that until you've done enough damage to his HP and his posture restore rate slows down significantly(that's around 30% of his health bar), then you pretty much just have to deflect his hits and finish boss with a deathblow.

Kabelly

Do I spam press parry or just at last minute? I actually think I was leaving it too long to press lol. From what I recall Bloodborne was quite offensive strategy wise.

That chain orgre mini boss the menu says to dodge it but his jump almost auto locks on to me, eventually it connects.

Which way is best to go first the present or the past? 😊
out of all the bosses the orge just has a shit grab animation. and spamming parry is okay but remember that your posture will also go up. attempting to perfect parry is ideal because 1) if breaks their posture faster and 2) some attacks that you perfect parry can stagger enemies in certain ways giving you and open opportunity to wail on them.

this game is really like a rhythm game. you remember that little tutorial about grabs, sweeps and thrusts? it basically all comes down to that.

dodge or jump grabs
jump on their heads for sweeps
mikiri or perfect parry thrusts (mikiri is more reliable)

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I saw this thread got bumped yesterday and it just eats at me that I've loved and completed every From game but this was too hard for me. Anyways I downloaded it and played the opening areas for the third or fourth time and I hate to admit it but I actually had fun 🙈

I beat the troll first go, the big Samurai just before the snake and the purple dude up through the hidden bamboo door (who I'd never beaten before). Fought lady Butterfly for ages lost but came very close. This time is didnt feel frustrating because I knew how to counter every move. It was like a beautiful dance. Looking online I should come back to her after I've beat the general so I'm happy I got as far as I did.

I think the secret was knowing how to counter thrusts and sweeps. Also I became alot better at parrying. The other change was that with the exception of the troll i was ALOT more aggressive. I just ran up to them and let them have it, using parry just as much as attack. I still have a real tough time with Shield enemies (especially in groups of two) does anyone have any tips how your meant to deal with them?

Anyways I was playing till 2.30am (I'm currently isolating). I can't wait to jump back in and play. I hope I keep going like this because it was always upsetting I missed out on Sekiro while beating and loving the other games. Dont get me wrong I still believe it should have an easier mode so everyone can enjoy it but selfishly I'm glad I can enjoy it!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well I saw this thread got bumped yesterday and it just eats at me that I've loved and completed every From game but this was too hard for me. Anyways I downloaded it and played the opening areas for the third or fourth time and I hate to admit it but I actually had fun 🙈

I beat the troll first go, the big Samurai just before the snake and the purple dude up through the hidden bamboo door (who I'd never beaten before). Fought lady Butterfly for ages lost but came very close. This time is didnt feel frustrating because I knew how to counter every move. It was like a beautiful dance. Looking online I should come back to her after I've beat the general so I'm happy I got as far as I did.

I think the secret was knowing how to counter thrusts and sweeps. Also I became alot better at parrying. The other change was that with the exception of the troll i was ALOT more aggressive. I just ran up to them and let them have it, using parry just as much as attack. I still have a real tough time with Shield enemies (especially in groups of two) does anyone have any tips how your meant to deal with them?

Anyways I was playing till 2.30am (I'm currently isolating). I can't wait to jump back in and play. I hope I keep going like this because it was always upsetting I missed out on Sekiro while beating and loving the other games. Dont get me wrong I still believe it should have an easier mode so everyone can enjoy it but selfishly I'm glad I can enjoy it!
You're gettin it. Nicely done beating Lady Butterfly!

Out of all the FROM titles I've played, Sekiro rewards knowledge the most. The shield enemies, for instance, can be easily handled with the Axe. Knowing this makes them easy. Most enemies can be stunned with firecrackers, including bosses. Knowing this makes mid-battle strikes and backstabs easy.

Try to be more aggressive. Instead of sneaking in a few attacks after blocking and parrying (traditional Souls style), press the attack against an enemy and then block/counter their counterattack, then keep attacking. Infinite stamina means you can leap, run, and attack with impunity. Use it to your advantage.

Hostile_18

Banned
You're gettin it. Nicely done beating Lady Butterfly!

Out of all the FROM titles I've played, Sekiro rewards knowledge the most. The shield enemies, for instance, can be easily handled with the Axe. Knowing this makes them easy. Most enemies can be stunned with firecrackers, including bosses. Knowing this makes mid-battle strikes and backstabs easy.

Try to be more aggressive. Instead of sneaking in a few attacks after blocking and parrying (traditional Souls style), press the attack against an enemy and then block/counter their counterattack, then keep attacking. Infinite stamina means you can leap, run, and attack with impunity. Use it to your advantage.

Wait theres an axe? 🤯 I thought it was always a sword lol. I'll bear it in mind about the firecrackers. Didn't beat lady butterfly but got very close on the second round. Tonight I'll go the big snake and general way and see how far I get 😁

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wait theres an axe? 🤯 I thought it was always a sword lol. I'll bear it in mind about the firecrackers. Didn't beat lady butterfly but got very close on the second round. Tonight I'll go the big snake and general way and see how far I get 😁
It's one of the shinobi tools, not a main weapon. You get it very early in the area leading to Lady Butterfly, prior to the group of shield soldiers on the bridge leading to the Shinobi hunter w the long spear and white garb.

The game gives you the two most powerful tools you'll ever have in the game at the very beginning: infinite stamina and your parry. Every enemy can be beaten without the use of a special item. Learn to parry just one or two of an enemy's attacks, and dodge or jump over the rest. Don't feel like you have to counter EVERYTHING. Don't feel like you have to take EVERY opening. Learn a consistent parry against one or two of their moves and you'll have a much easier time. This especially applies to bosses.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well after tonight you guys clearly don't know who you're advising, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger. I am the danger.

A guy gets killed by Gyoubu Oniwa, Blazing Bull and Lady Butterfly and you think that of me? No. I am the one who kills 😉

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well after tonight you guys clearly don't know who you're advising, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger. I am the danger.

A guy gets killed by Gyoubu Oniwa, Blazing Bull and Lady Butterfly and you think that of me? No. I am the one who kills 😉
RHUsoX8.gif

Hostile_18

Banned
I just got back to the starting area and thought ohh this might be quite a small game. Then the world opened up massively. I can go to the castle, down from the drawbridge, up to some dojo in the mountains or in some underground caves 🤯. At the mountain at the moment fighting a big armoured Knight.

Oh and I totally rang the bell 😂

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I just got back to the starting area and thought ohh this might be quite a small game. Then the world opened up massively. I can go to the castle, down from the drawbridge, up to some dojo in the mountains or in some underground caves 🤯. At the mountain at the moment fighting a big armoured Knight.

Oh and I totally rang the bell 😂
Yeah there's a lot of freedom after passing General Gyobu. On my second playthrough, I cleared quite a few side areas before finishing the next "checkpoint" after Gyobu. One of my favorite areas in the game is after the bridge-knight. Have fun!

Hostile_18

Banned
I can't believe in saying this but wow I'm loving it now. Sekiro can officially sit along side Dark Souls and Bloodborne lol.

I still think it's a pretty rough opening but once you beat the General and the world opens up its soooo much better. I'm currently in the undead village, kind of feels like I've been transported to Dark Souls world at the moment lol.

For anyone struggling like I did (multiple times/hours) it really comes down to learning to jump on swinging attacks and miri counter thrusts. Go in blocking, control the space and remain in control 😁.

Edit: and now I want to read this thread from the beginning see how everyone found the different levels/bosses. Glad I gave this game a 3rd shot, just before Demon Souls releases.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I cannot win this second Owl fight. I haven't even gotten close to beating the 1st phase yet. I beat the 1st Owl fight after dozens of tries and even beat his 2nd phase on the 1st try.

There's 2 things that are giving me a problem. First is the fucking camera making it hard to even see where the guy's at, at times. The second thing is his perilous attack where he slashes at you. If I try to side step, I get hit. If I try to jump over, I get hit or I land too far away to hit him back. And it does massive damage too. And sometimes he does it twice in a row. I end up panicking when that perilous attack happens and just start mashing buttons to try and avoid it. I did almost kill the 1st phase once by spamming Mortal Draw but by the time I got his posture way up I got killed and I wouldn't have had any healing or emblems left for the 2nd phase anyways.

Just killed the corrupted Monk and that ghost women guardian (who took me alot longer). Guardian Ape next on the hit list.

This is exactly where I got to but then my life got busy and I couldn't continue playing for a couple months. Then when I got back into the game I discovered I suck and have to practice up again before I can continue.

Hostile_18

Banned
This is exactly where I got to but then my life got busy and I couldn't continue playing for a couple months. Then when I got back into the game I discovered I suck and have to practice up again before I can continue.

Yeah I can imagine. Luckily I've been off work this week and been playing this none stop 😂

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm up to page 15 and so far I've noticed there are two types of people;

Person A) The beginning is hard, but it gets easier.

Person B) The beginning is easy, but it gets harder.

Funny how the it affects everyone differently. I think it all comes down to how you played the other Soulsborne games as to which you are. I'm definitely the former. Oh and one thing everyone agrees on is the final boss is tough as nails.

SkylineRKR

Put me in the A camp.

I approached this like Soulsborne, and probably Ninja Gaiden. In other words, I tried to attack, and evade combos and find openings. And focused on enemy health. This doesn't work. My mindset changed down the line, in fact, I was baiting for enemy combos. You want those. Because you want to deflect them to build posture. And if you do some damage inbetween, the posture won't diminish so damage is still useful. The health bar doesn't mean much though, when its a bit lower it just means you can fill posture easier and it recovers slower. You can beat bosses at 75% health.

There are some outliers like DoH, but those are the worst fights.

Last edited:

Boneyblaff

"A" group here too. After taking 10+ months off and coming back, I'm beating most bosses in 2-3 attempts and mini bosses on the first go. I remember O'Rin of the Water was such a wall for me on my first playthrough, but I beat her so easily the other night.

Hostile_18

Banned
What's a good way to get tool currency? I know you can farm money from those guys with the hats but it costs points to use the axe on their shield hats.

CrysisFreak

Banned
There is only very few badly designed enemies in the game.
All the sword/spear enemies are perfect.
But the bad ones are DOH, chained ogre, the bull and in my opinion O'Rin is not great either.
Every game has flaws I guess.

Hostile_18

Banned
There is only very few badly designed enemies in the game.
All the sword/spear enemies are perfect.
But the bad ones are DOH, chained ogre, the bull and in my opinion O'Rin is not great either.
Every game has flaws I guess.

I think O'Rin is good at teaching you some battles you don't need to worry about their health bar at all.

Just beat Guardian Ape. The first fight is hard as he moves so fast. Best to use the firecracks the first half of the fight, then the second half he'll start doing a running lunge that leaves him super exposed. The second fight is alot easier once you have his sword attacks down. I used the spear to rip out his spine for massive posture damage.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I think O'Rin is good at teaching you some battles you don't need to worry about their health bar at all.

Just beat Guardian Ape. The first fight is hard as he moves so fast. Best to use the firecracks the first half of the fight, then the second half he'll start doing a running lunge that leaves him super exposed. The second fight is alot easier once you have his sword attacks down. I used the spear to rip out his spine for massive posture damage.
The Guardian Ape phases gave me trouble on my first playthrough. Now that I know what the deal is? I could beat that ape blindfolded.
For the first phase you just need to be cautious because of his temper tantrums lmao.
There is no need to be upset though.

MrS

Banned
I cannot win this second Owl fight. I haven't even gotten close to beating the 1st phase yet. I beat the 1st Owl fight after dozens of tries and even beat his 2nd phase on the 1st try.

There's 2 things that are giving me a problem. First is the fucking camera making it hard to even see where the guy's at, at times. The second thing is his perilous attack where he slashes at you. If I try to side step, I get hit. If I try to jump over, I get hit or I land too far away to hit him back. And it does massive damage too. And sometimes he does it twice in a row. I end up panicking when that perilous attack happens and just start mashing buttons to try and avoid it. I did almost kill the 1st phase once by spamming Mortal Draw but by the time I got his posture way up I got killed and I wouldn't have had any healing or emblems left for the 2nd phase anyways.
Love this post. Man, Owl @ Hirata was so fucking good, an all-time great boss fight imho. Easily my favourite fight in the game because it requires you to completely master Owl's attacks and pre-empt his moves. Once you beat this fight, I'm convinced you'll think this is the best in the game.

That fucking bull! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

There's a pattern to him, but it seems like he changes his moves just enough to throw you off and get a gore in. The first impression was insane when he busted through the gate and I just wanted to run away!

In retrospect he's a lot of fun though and a good troll by From.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my big block was the thrust parry. in every Souls game you are taught to roll through the attack, which means rolling left or right. then we get the spear guys, and you are supposed to roll straight into them.

i remember spending hours on some spear guys, because for the life of me, i just couldn't do it. i even realized what i was doing. "ok, when you see that red symbol, dash towards them!" and yet my muscle memory was too tuned into Souls. i would dash back, or right, or left, and get punished.

but once you get that move, it unlocks so many fights. then you finally get to the end boss and you are just jumping on his spear like "not today, Isshin!"

the power you feel when you have figured out a boss here is so good. restarting a Souls after beating it is still an uphill climb. here, it's much easier to destroy the game once you have the combat worked out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
but once you get that move, it unlocks so many fights. then you finally get to the end boss and you are just jumping on his spear like "not today, Isshin!"

the power you feel when you have figured out a boss here is so good. restarting a Souls after beating it is still an uphill climb. here, it's much easier to destroy the game once you have the combat worked out.
To the bolded: my first playthrough was 73 hours, and my second was 18 hours.

Had a hunch that my second playthrough would be shorter. Sekiro rewards metaknowledge far more than the other Soulsborne games so I figured it would be much easier on the second go. My initial playthrough (where I defeated every boss and area I could, admittedly) took 73 hours.

My second playthrough in NG+ took 18 hours, and I wasn't exactly rushing. I still died a fair number of times, but it was nothing compared to the first playthrough where I learned all the nuance and banged my head against the wall. Felt very much like playing through W101 after you've unlocked every tool and can now style on your enemies with your improved skillset.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That fucking bull! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

There's a pattern to him, but it seems like he changes his moves just enough to throw you off and get a gore in. The first impression was insane when he busted through the gate and I just wanted to run away!

In retrospect he's a lot of fun though and a good troll by From.

I was surprised there is even a second one lol.

johntown

Banned

Once you get the first part down the rest will come even easier. It took me a long time to beat that too but once I mastered phase 1 it was not too long after that I beat him. If I recall the sweep perilous attack can be countered by attacking him (maybe even a head bounce but I remember seeing it and attacking as any hit you get is rare) and the other one can be mikiri countered. Good luck!!

ebevan91

Once you get the first part down the rest will come even easier. It took me a long time to beat that too but once I mastered phase 1 it was not too long after that I beat him. If I recall the sweep perilous attack can be countered by attacking him (maybe even a head bounce but I remember seeing it and attacking as any hit you get is rare) and the other one can be mikiri countered. Good luck!!

So I've gotten quite a bit better dealing with that perilous attack and I'm seeing the results by getting his health down to 1/2 or 1/3rd fairly often. Hell I managed to jump over him twice and hit him 3 times both times when he tried following up with that overhead slash. Took him down to around 75% health right there. Now the firecracker attack is giving me problems. I think what's happening is that I'm not dodging backwards to avoid or if I do dodge backwards I run into one of them stupid pillars and he pretty much kills me in 1 hit if my health isn't 100%.

OK I just beat his 1st phase for the first time. On to phase 2. Hopefully when I die here I'll be able to make it to phase 2 again.

Alright he got me again but I nearly killed his 2nd phase on the 1st try. A badly timed mikiri counter attempt got me.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
The castle has just been taken over in my game. Those purple ninjas are well hard, well not alone but together in groups. I did beat the second Chained Orge and that two ninja team up in the top room.

Got a feeling I'll just head out and do those headless minions before I continue here (the forest and the side of those cliffs where you first meet the big snake) as the enemies all seem alot tougher now.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I was enjoying this game until giving up on it shortly after release and now again. I'm completely stuck on Genichiro on top of the castle. I killed all the bosses (lady butterfly, horse etc) and mini-bosses possible so I can't really "level up" anymore and I have to get past him to continue the game.

I heard the skill shadow rush helps against him but I would need to farm souls for 10+ hours before I get enough skill points to get it. I watched all the strategies videos, tried to deflect as many attacks as I could but he always gets me, I tried mikiri counter several times, never worked, not even once.

I just want it to be done. Is there a way to cheat in Xbox? I would like to get someone else save or something.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

MrS

Banned
I was enjoying this game until giving up on it shortly after release and now again. I'm completely stuck on Genichiro on top of the castle. I killed all the bosses (lady butterfly, horse etc) and mini-bosses possible so I can't really "level up" anymore and I have to get past him to continue the game.

I heard the skill shadow rush helps against him but I would need to farm souls for 10+ hours before I get enough skill points to get it. I watched all the strategies videos, tried to deflect as many attacks as I could but he always gets me, I tried mikiri counter several times, never worked, not even once.

I just want it to be done. Is there a way to cheat in Xbox? I would like to get someone else save or something.
Why would you cheat? You cheat not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Why would you cheat? You cheat not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

I finished Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1+3 and Bloodborne + DLC by myself. I have nothing to prove and I'm busy now so you can go away with your copypasta.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

SkylineRKR

Git gud!

Mikiri counter is pretty much mashing forward + evade when you see a thrust attack. A sweep needs to be jumped and another jump button for a posture kick. Genichiro isn't that hard. deflect his combos, try to either mikiri or jump his sweep. I think his first phase are always thrusts. Once you learn Genichiro, you can overcome the entire game.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm up to page 15 and so far I've noticed there are two types of people;

Person A) The beginning is hard, but it gets easier.

Person B) The beginning is easy, but it gets harder.

Funny how the it affects everyone differently. I think it all comes down to how you played the other Soulsborne games as to which you are. I'm definitely the former. Oh and one thing everyone agrees on is the final boss is tough as nails.
100% truth.

"I played Dark Souls 1 & 2, I'll be amazing at 3, my first character is going to be a parry god"

They changed the timings, first boss murdered me. If I had rolled as a shield knight, I'd have been absolutely fine.

I look forward to the day I play Sekiro.

You killed all the mini bosses available (like spearman, dojoman and the ninja guy) and the grandma in the estate but you can't beat Gen?

Before you give up, look up some videos of players beating him.
The chances that you're messing up the basics of the fight are high.

Top Bottom