• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Select your favourite Blizzard title. (Curated list, including individual WoW expansions)

Well?

• Warcraft 2 + Expansion

• Warcraft 3 + Expansions (NOT DOTA)

• Diablo + Expansion

• Diablo 2 + Expansion/Resurrected

• Diablo 3 + Expansions

• Strarcraft + Expansion

• Starcraft 2 + Expansions

• WoW (Vanilla)

• WoW (TBC)

• WoW (WotLK)

• WoW (Cata)

• WoW (Mists)

• WoW (WoD)

• WoW (Legion)

• WoW (BfA)

• Overwatch

• Warcraft 3 Reforged (hahahahah)

• Other

• Abstention like a sir. Please accept my humorous Blizzard-themed gif in place of input.

Results are only viewable after voting.
i was too late to the WoW party. i think i played it ~2008 but didn't get into it. my most played blizzard game is Diablo 3. that shit is amazing. got overwatch too but unless you spend a shit load of time in it then you have no chance of any fun.

Topher

Gold Member
537552-starcraft-original.jpg

I'm still amazed that some are not aware that this is the greatest game of all time.

Fake

Their system was great for sure, but heroes were first introduced in Warlords Battlecry. They went for more roleplaying elements, which is what Warcraft 3 was originally going to be.

Is Warlords Battlecry a strategy game? Never heard.

I not played so much strattegy games for comparison, I guess Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Age of Empires 3, Total Aniquilation Kingdom, Starcraft, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

I not played so much strattegy games for comparison, I guess Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Age of Empires 3, Total Aniquilation Kingdom, Starcraft, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne.
Yes, but it's not one of the major ones you listed. There's a brief summary of it on Wiki (linked below).

Have you played Dawn of War? That is a great RTS series also. The second one is a big favorite for a lot of people because it's focused mostly on the heroes. There's a mission in Starcraft 2 where you have to hold certain positions and not let the enemy take them over. That is Dawn of War I's entire concept, and Blizzard paid homage to it in that map. I'm pretty sure you play as the Protoss in it.

The creators of Age of Empires IV (Relic) also made Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes.

The game introduced a hero-building system, combining real time strategy elements with roleplaying elements (hero development, stats and skills). This makes the series the first to be called "roleplaying strategy", a term coined by its creator, Steve Fawkner.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
While Diablo and Warcraft games are amazing, I have to go with Starcraft. It was one of the first games I played on my own PC, and I played the heel out of it and loved every second. The missions, the atmosphere, the characters and story... everything was cool.

And that music man...

I guess Starcraft II must be cool too, but I didn't have the chance to get into it when it released.

Tschumi

Yes, but it's not one of the major ones you listed. There's a brief summary of it on Wiki (linked below).

Have you played Dawn of War? That is a great RTS series also. The second one is a big favorite for a lot of people because it's focused mostly on the heroes. There's a mission in Starcraft 2 where you have to hold certain positions and not let the enemy take them over. That is Dawn of War I's entire concept, and Blizzard paid homage to it in that map. I'm pretty sure you play as the Protoss in it.

The creators of Age of Empires IV (Relic) also made Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes.

The game introduced a hero-building system, combining real time strategy elements with roleplaying elements (hero development, stats and skills). This makes the series the first to be called "roleplaying strategy", a term coined by its creator, Steve Fawkner.
I was really excited about warlord's Battlecry,i remember thinking it was like fully 3d shogun total war, their screenshots had heaps of huge battles or something... Didn't quite turn out that way if memory serves but I'll always have a place in my heart for it..

TheContact

Tough choice. Countless hours into StarCraft and wc3 and d2. But I chose wow because I was huge into mmos at the time

Last edited:

Tschumi

I can recommend a few.. age of mythology is the way age3 should have been ... Imo...

World in Conflict is a shockingly modern 2007 (i think) rts(ish), can really knock socks off and doesn't require too much time investment before it shows you the goods

There are many many more but this ain't the time and I'm not sure you asked for it haha

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can recommend a few.. age of mythology is the way age3 should have been ... Imo...

World in Conflict is a shockingly modern 2007 (i think) rts(ish), can really knock socks off and doesn't require too much time investment before it shows you the goods

There are many many more but this ain't the time and I'm not sure you asked for it haha
Sorry for continuing the offtopic, but I'm just going to add Empire Earth, Rise of Nations and Company of Heroes because they are fucking great games.

Tschumi

Sorry for continuing the offtopic, but I'm just going to add Empire Earth, Rise of Nations and Company of Heroes because they are fucking great games.
Empire Earth, such an interesting game... When it came out it was, supermega.. RTS on roids... Aoe meets civilization meets c&c or something.. amazing sound track...

... But it's aged so poorly, to me.. i tried to go back to it and it's so opaque that i could barely complete the first mission...

Rise of Nations an absolute classic, did you play Rise of Legends, the spinoff? I actually enjoyed it at least as much, if not slightly more.. they were really ambitious with the ways they added in fantasy...

---

Re: my op, i totally didn't expect D2 to thump it like this.. must be because of resurrected... Fresher in the mind maybe

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Empire Earth, such an interesting game... When it came out it was, supermega.. RTS on roids... Aoe meets civilization meets c&c or something.. amazing sound track...

... But it's aged so poorly, to me.. i tried to go back to it and it's so opaque that i could barely complete the first mission...

Rise of Nations an absolute classic, did you play Rise of Legends, the spinoff? I actually enjoyed it at least as much, if not slightly more.. they were really ambitious with the ways they added in fantasy...

---

Re: my op, i totally didn't expect D2 to thump it like this.. must be because of resurrected... Fresher in the mind maybe
I'll add that RoN spinoff to my list mate, thanks!

Hardensoul

I voted for Diablo 2 because, I had so much fun playing with my RL friends and Nephews. I currently still play WoW.

WoW vanilla when ZG/AQ dungeons came out was some good times, BC/WotLK were great but Legion was my favorite Xpac. Vanilla WoW didn't engross me at first, I was playing City of Heroes at that time and to me WoW was bland. Especially the character creation screen in WoW was so limited compared to CoH. I still play WoW up to today because of the online friends in the guild that was created since WoW beta.

BlackTron

Starcraft/BW no doubt. This game was legendary amongst all my friends in HS. Then in my early 20's I had a LAN in my basement for the chief purpose of playing this game (though we played plenty of Half Life too). Thinking of back then makes me want to play some Zone Control now lol.

Starcraft II was a mixed bag. While it bought the controls, UI and pathfinding up to a more modern and accessible/palatable standard, and fulfilled the fantasy of what a SC sequel with glorious graphics could look like, with lots of very fun missions....it made a total mockery of the story, ruined all the characters, and LAN was removed. This was the beginning of making a game TO BE an eSport, and the loss of LAN mode was the first casualty of it.

These two issues critically nerfed both the campaign and the multiplayer down from SC1's perfection despite all the other improvements. I mean yeah, it was pretty good, but those flaws are MASSIVE. It was made on the cusp, as Blizzard was in the midst of transforming from their old selves to Activision "enhanced". The game shows it and I wish they had gotten around to the game sooner, it would have fared better and most likely be better than the original.

TintoConCasera

I'm actually pretty interested to hear what you think of it, you might have to torrent it though i couldn't find it on any stores
Aww you are right man, I was hoping on finding it on GOG at least.

Well, time to go back to sailing the seven seas I guess. :messenger_sunglasses:

Nautilus

Banned
Hmmmm its really hard to say.I would place both Starcraft and Diablo 2 as my number 1, and giving the edge to either one seems wrong.

So both Starcraft and Diablo 2.

Last edited:

Zug

Everything that Blizzard did up to 10ish years ago was exceptionnaly solid and maybe the best games of their time, quality-wise.

Voted Wow Vanilla, because it was a superb technical, artistic and commercial offer at it's time, that set an unreachable standard for years.
In 2005, Everquest was starting to dwindle, so was FF11, Koreans MMOs were too Korean for the western public, and the other MMOs were too niche. It came at the exact right moment providing a lot of engaging content, grabbing a lot of the best ideas of it's time, in an incredibly qualitative package, while making the genre way more accessible.

This chart shows nicely what happened when Wow went out : http://www.randalolson.com/wp-content/uploads/mmo-populations-1998-2013.png

In my opinion, TBC and WotLK pushed too hard the theme park and dopamine loop concepts, and eventually the game self drowned on these in later expansions.
I find the Vanilla era much more genuine and "sincere" in it's approach.

Paasei

Only played Warcraft 3, WoW and Diablo 2 and 3. Never had any interest in other games from Blizzard.

I had an amazing time with WoW back in the day, but it's impossible for me to like it now, which is why I haven't played much of it since Cataclysm. Tried the re-releases of Classic and TBC but I just can't be bothered and fail to see what the appeal of it was to me so many years ago. Probably because nobody knew anything or simply didn't go through the game finding the perfect setup for about anything you can do in the game just yet.

Then for me it's either TBC or WotLK. The true peak of the game was during those 2 expansions. Really having a hard time choosing between the two as my favorite shifts daily should I think about. The same problem I have with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, really. If I pick one, I would pick the other the day after, and so on.

Ogbert

WotLK.

Pinnacle of WoW for me. In some ways, it was a bit of a low point personally, as I was not far off nappy-wearing 16 hour daily sessions. But it was fucking awesome and my haste rating was worth it.

No other game will ever equal WoW’s heights.

Top Bottom