• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Self-Requested Account “Bans”

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just curious, if you know someone who has done this (or if you’ve done it yourself) - why the fuck would someone “request” to be banned? And I don’t mean account suicide, like some jackasses who post things to get themselves banned (like an insult to the forum owner or the forum itself, etc) in order to martyr themselves in the name of Social Justice, or “unfair” moderation, etc, because those people are too simple-minded to care about.

Why in gods name would you ask for a ban otherwise? Because you have no self control, and can’t stay away from posting in the forum? Or you’ve just decided NeoGaf is the root of your self-induced procrastination? I just find it funny that people do this rather than just…. Stop coming to the forum and practice some self control and get shit done in their lives?

For reference, you can find the list of Bans here along with the reason for the Ban. If you scroll through there’s a surprisingly amount of self request and it’s baffling.

Thoughts? Can you relate to these people?

mcCHRX5.png

Kimahri

Banned
I see no problem. If you decide to stop using an account, it's perfectly normal to have it deleted.

If you request a ban or account closure through pm with a mod, that's not needing attention. That's a person being done with a certain place.

Personally, I always delete any form of social media or forum account after five years. Just a personal rule born from one day years ago having an "oh shit I'm never googling my name ever again" moment. Call me a tool, but it's left me with a very manageable footprint.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

U have this in mmo's also with quited shops

where people sell there items because they quit the game for ingame currency.

Why would you not just quit? why even bother with selling anything for ingame currency in a game u not going to play?

Its just attentionwhoring.

Velcro Fly

If the site is so shitty you want all your information scrubbed off of it. Request a ban and have then delete your account.

Otherwise just log out and don't come back? I left GAF for like 3 years and never once thought "you know what I'm going to request a ban"

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The only bans I get is that if you're a terminally online loser and need to be banned so you can go and do something else with your life. That used to be the case on old GAF a lot.

Outlier

Amongst the other reasons, they could also be suffering from a form of "gluttony for punishment".

I know what this is like. And it IS a form of attention seeking.

Just try not to worry too much when you see it happen. No one is being hurt by participating or being removed from posting on a forum.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I've thought it was pretty self-aggrandising when people do it to make some kind of grand statement. But I know there have also been some cases where people felt like they had an addiction to being on GAF and getting banned gave them a break to go away and do other things.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It’s the desperate hope that you’ll get ‘no please don’t go internet nobody who I’ve never met, I love you’ attention seeking in replies they crave. Just log out and don’t log back in or if you are addicted to the internet, send a PM.

FunkMiller

Some people are way too addicted to Internet forum posting, that’s why. Self bans remove the temptation to return, much like alcoholics go nowhere near booze when they quit.

How badly some reacted to the politics forum being nuked was a real insight into how many people on GAF do/did have an addiction issue.

Posting on here should be a fun way to stave off boredom, and interact with like minded people. It should never become important enough to get truly upset about. That’s a sign of addiction.

There‘s also a performance element to it I don’t understand myself, when we’re all anonymous anyway 🙄

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Some people are way too addicted to Internet forum posting, that’s why. Self bans remove the temptation to return, much like alcoholics go nowhere near booze when they quit.

How badly some reacted to the politics forum being nuked was a real insight into how many people on GAF do/did have an addiction issue.

Posting on here should be a fun way to stave off boredom, and interact with like minded people. It should never become important enough to get truly upset about. That’s a sign of addiction.

There‘s also a performance element to it I don’t understand myself, when we’re all anonymous anyway 🙄

G Boaty

Banned
If they're just DMing a mod or something and asking for it I don't think it's weird. Seems normal to want to close an account you no longer plan on using, even without getting into the addiction side of things. People who create a thread are just doing it for the attention obviously, but I can't see how just quietly DMing and asking for your account to be banned is attention seeking.

The account ban threads are attempts at being an attention whore. They could literally just not log in again or DM a mod. It would be awesome if people payed no mind to them and didn't ban the account.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its like asking why use smoking cessation aids, just quit cold turkey. The obvious answer is that it is easier to use self control when you have other things to help.
Can't say I have ever requested a ban, but when I have caught bans for other things I have found myself just reflexingly opening the site.

Last edited:

Arimer

Could be an addiction or time wasted thing. Like some people may need the ban to be able to take themselves away from whatever the site may be.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Gangster movies growing up taught me u gotta stay low and outta sight the flamboyant attention wh0res r the ones that get hit

Ikutachi

If you request a ban or account closure through pm with a mod, that's not needing attention. That's a person being done with a certain place.
It's something they know gets public on the ban page. Plenty of users read it for laughs.

dr_octagon

Banned
You know what?

I think now is the time and place to say it. I don't care what happens. I'm sick and tired of it. Everything is a joke, a big fat mess or a quip like people print in on a fucking teatowel. The memes within a joke, wrapped in a gif. Enough about all your posting, fake stories, memes and stories of Trump, Elon, Kanye West Philadephia, born and raised, on the playground was where I spent most of my days.

Top Bottom