• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Self-Requested Account “Bans”

T8SC

Self ban?

35lqnh5xrfb51.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just curious, if you know someone who has done this (or if you’ve done it yourself) - why the fuck would someone “request” to be banned? And I don’t mean account suicide, like some jackasses who post things to get themselves banned (like an insult to the forum owner or the forum itself, etc) in order to martyr themselves in the name of Social Justice, or “unfair” moderation, etc, because those people are too simple-minded to care about.

Why in gods name would you ask for a ban otherwise? Because you have no self control, and can’t stay away from posting in the forum? Or you’ve just decided NeoGaf is the root of your self-induced procrastination? I just find it funny that people do this rather than just…. Stop coming to the forum and practice some self control and get shit done in their lives?

For reference, you can find the list of Bans here along with the reason for the Ban. If you scroll through there’s a surprisingly amount of self request and it’s baffling.

Thoughts? Can you relate to these people?
Nah I cant relate. I wont lie I am addicted but I still do all my work. And If i have to take a break, i dont think Evillore needs to be made aware.

Whats funny is that you can always email neogaf and ask for your account to be reinstated. So how is that permanent?

I think we should just start requesting bans for other users. I'll start.

@Mod of War please terminate Golgo 13 Golgo 13
Cosigned.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Some people get really attached to these kind of online communities. I mean hell, how many of us here leave a tab open to this forum while they work, for example? And can identify posters by their avatars and get a general impression of how they are, what their interests are, where they live (if they ever mentioned it), etc?

So when people want to leave because they disagree with some manner in which moderation has changed, they feel the need to make it known. Sometimes privately, sometimes openly in a cringey thread (remember the meltdowns early last year?).

I don't think I'd ever do it myself, in fact I really doubt it, but I don't come down too hard on those that do. I mean I can think of several users off the top of my head that I really liked having conversations with (or merely reading their comments) but they requested bans for reasons unknown to me.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Just curious, if you know someone who has done this (or if you’ve done it yourself) - why the fuck would someone “request” to be banned? And I don’t mean account suicide, like some jackasses who post things to get themselves banned (like an insult to the forum owner or the forum itself, etc) in order to martyr themselves in the name of Social Justice, or “unfair” moderation, etc, because those people are too simple-minded to care about.

Why in gods name would you ask for a ban otherwise? Because you have no self control, and can’t stay away from posting in the forum? Or you’ve just decided NeoGaf is the root of your self-induced procrastination? I just find it funny that people do this rather than just…. Stop coming to the forum and practice some self control and get shit done in their lives?

For reference, you can find the list of Bans here along with the reason for the Ban. If you scroll through there’s a surprisingly amount of self request and it’s baffling.

Thoughts? Can you relate to these people?
If someone is on NeoGAF all day and their kid neglected and starving I can see a self-ban being a good thing. The progression of the self ban would be to check ones self into the psychiatric ward.

Top Bottom