• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate's McConnell says Obamacare repeal high on agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said repealing the Obamacare health insurance system is a "pretty high item on our agenda" for the new Congress that was elected on Tuesday, calling it the "single worst piece of legislation" from the first two years of the Obama administration.

McConnell told reporters he would like to see bipartisan comprehensive tax reform, and that border security should also be high on the to-do list. He expects president-elect Donald Trump to send the Senate a Supreme Court nominee soon, and to review environmental regulations put in place by Obama, including on coal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

I hate to say this, but after what I saw what my new premium will be next year on the ACA (67% monthly increase ), I won't miss it too much. Hopefully Trump truly does replace it with "Something better"

Hale-XF11

Says the guy whose only mission in congress the past 8 years was to oppose and crush everything Obama lobbied for, no matter what.

I hate to say this, but after what I saw what my new premium will be next year on the ACA (67% monthly increase ), I won't miss it too much. Hopefully Trump truly does replace it with "Something better"

"Something better" would be addressing it's issues versus talking about an outright appeal. We'll be back to the old system next year (and don't be surprised when your premiums don't decrease).

Eusis

I hate that piece of shit's plan to procrastinate on the SCOTUS appointee is probably going to work out afterall. Fucking piece of shit, terms aren't over 75% of the way, just like apparently 75% doesn't guarantee a presidency!

No shit

Obamacare was flawed (partly bc of republican obstructionism), fixing it or implementing a better plan is the way forward. Republicans will do neither.

creatchee

Honestly, Obamacare, in its current form and execution, needs to go away. However, I hope against hope that a replacement is ready to go before they kill it.

kmax

They will tear Obama's and the Dems hard work like the vultures they are.

It's not getting better, folks.

TomServo

How about we figure out how to improve it without simply dismantling it? Get rid of pre-existing conditions and 26-year-old dependent insurance and there will be backlash.

Stupid.

Beyond that, expecting bipartisan anything after you destroy the crown jewel of Democrat legislation (flawed as it may be) is beyond head-in-the-sand.

legacyzero

Banned
Good. Middle class feeling the ache pretty hard. Not a good part of Obamas legacy. Good regulation and rules. Bad coverage.

Expect "something better" to be patreon or gofundme the day you get a serious condition.

entremet

Boogie, the Youtuber, was talking about how he will now lose his healthcare because of this. His wife, his primary caretaker, will need to get an outside job. She's currently CEO of his businesses, but cannot get affordable insurance without the ACA.

He can afford getting another caretaker, but it will change his life drastically. I could imagine many are gonna be in the same boat.

Everyone knows it isn't perfect and needs further progress. What we will get here instead will be a disaster I'm sure.

So at this point with the EPA transition news and now health insurance, both will go even more to shit!

Can't wait to see what's next.

TomServo

Good. Middle class feeling the ache pretty hard. Not a good part of Obamas legacy. Good regulation and rules. Bad coverage.

The regulation and rules go hand-in-hand with the coverage. Remove the individual mandate and the whole thing implodes.

Arkeband

Banned

Your premiums will continue to increase the same way they were increasing before Obamacare, because they have to make more money than last year.

I think this has a direct correlation to Trump being elected. This shit hit at the absolute wrong time.

What's he going to replace it with? He answer on this side has been removing the borders.

Trust me, your premiums will continue to rise.

ExVicis

To be fair, this form of Healthcare was awful and appeased no one. It was an incredibly ugly attempt at appeasing everyone that satisfied no one.

Still this is upsetting and I'm sad to see it go and I hope they don't put something that fucks us over hard in it's place.

"Something better" means leaving it up to the healthcare industry and big business. Hope you don't have any pre-existing conditions. Your premiums will still continue to rise.

Vena

"Something better" would be addressing it's issues versus talking about an outright appeal. We'll be back to the old system next year (and don't be surprised when your premiums don't decrease).

If they outright repeal it, they will destroy themselves as too many (20+ million) voting Americans will be negatively impacted immediately and the knock-on effects will be felt through the entire health industry, including old republican voters who want their meds and medicare.

They won't do this.

They will grandstand for a while (probably a long while, especially if obstruction is left open and the filibuster isn't attacked immediately), tear it apart little by little, but they won't outright tear it down unless they are insane and want to immediately start dismantling themselves. They will also use it as an blame-space against ever-rising premiums (as its not going to stop), and scapegoat on Obama for years further.

If the filibuster isn't addressed Day-1, then what little sanity remains will gridlock government for four years.

qcf x2

That was the plan for the democrats too, right? If not "replace it with something better" then something like "make drastic changes" to the point that it's essentially been replaced with something better.

As is it's a disaster and I don't think there's much left for debate about it. The end goal is great and I hope/think we'll get there eventually, but the current execution is not ok at all.

Kin5290

Spoiler: he won't.

That's why Republicans talk a big game about "repeal and replace" and "market based solution" and then nothing else. Obamacare IS the "market based solution" and it already has problems.

That was the plan for the democrats too, right? If not "replace it with something better" then something like "make drastic changes" to the point that it's essentially been replaced with something better.

As is it's a disaster and I don't think there's much left for debate about it. The end goal is great and I hope/think we'll get there eventually, but the current execution is not ok at all.
Yes, clinton's plan was to fix it but a lot of voters didn't grasp that seemingly.

Says the guy whose only mission in congress the past 8 years was to oppose and crush everything Obama lobbied for, no matter what.

Yeah and guess what, it fucking worked out for them. The GOP played dirty as fuck and now they control the government. I'm gonna be bitter about that for a long time.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think this has a direct correlation to Trump being elected. This shit hit at the absolute wrong time.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see an stats on people's votes due to this revelation.

Bernie would have been a very strong counter to this with his single payer platform, even if it was not realistic the message alone is what is important. Though whether the requisite tax hikes would have hurt him or been ignored might have been an issue. But I think people would have rallied behind UHC over Trump's vague ass "let's repeal and put in something better and cheaper."

I seem to hear this a lot. Are there that many people out there that will be royally screwed if it goes away?

Vena

They won't realize it. That's the problem.

Oh, they will. Premiums won't stop, medicare will fall apart, and their drugs will become prohibitively expensive, little by little, and more of them will get sicker and sicker. Soon the very same people who said "get better" to pre-existing conditions, will have pre-existing conditions.

but they won't realize it right away. It will be a slow, slow rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom