• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senator critical of games as art and funding for game education to resign

numble

This seems to be big news. Jeff Flake has announced he will not run for Senate in 2018.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/us/politics/jeff-flake-arizona.html

Senator Jeff Flake, the Arizona Republican who has tangled with President Trump for months, announced on Tuesday that he would not seek re-election in 2018, declaring on the Senate floor that he “will no longer be complicit or silent” in the face of the president’s “reckless, outrageous and undignified” behavior.

Mr. Flake made his announcement in an extraordinary 17-minute speech in which he challenged not only the president but also his party’s leadership. He deplored the “casual undermining of our democratic ideals” and “the personal attacks, the threats against principles, freedoms and institutions, the flagrant disregard for truth and decency” that he said had become prevalent in American politics in the era of Mr. Trump.

He has criticized government funding for gaming programs as well as the NEA's designation of games as art.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffflake/status/68730670528208896
NEA now classifies video games as art, eligible for grants. Hmmm. This should make for some angry birds in Congress.

http://www.12news.com/news/local/ar...izes-government-funded-video-gaming/394629223
Flake's annual "Wastebook" report targeted two federal spending projects aimed at gaming design and research. In all, Flake cited more than $5 billion in what he called “questionable” public expenditures in areas like the arts, scientific research and the military.

On the subject of video gaming, Flake criticized funding for the Massachusetts Digital Games Institute (MassDigGI) at Becker College, which has been supported with nearly $2.5 million from the U.S. Department of Commerce since 2011. The federal investment is touted as a way to support entrepreneurship and technology commercialization in a rapidly growing industry.

But Flake questioned the relevance of games created by students at the institute – such as “Cat Tsunami” and “Hibachi Hero” -- that to many observers, may seem trivial.

“While coming up with new concepts may literally be all fun and games, doing so should not be paid for by gaming the taxpayers,” Flake wrote.

Because the Senate is 52-48, Flake was basically a swing vote that could make or break legislation in the divided Congress, which meant policies supporting video games could be blocked by him. With Flake out of the picture, do we think that we will see more support for video games from Congress?

Jeff Flake also did not support the Paris Accords, while NeoGAF is for the Paris Accords. If he is replaced by someone in favor of the Accords, it would be another step towards achieving NeoGAF's public policy positions.

Very big news for gaming and NeoGAF.

Atenhaus

Considering Flake's GOP challenger was running to the right of him, I doubt his replacement would be more receptive of funding for things like gaming education education.

OuterLimits

Not surprised. He was facing a tough primary next year. He was already trailing in polls to Kelli Ward by 25 points. His opposition to Trump was going to destroy him with conservatives in the primary. Much like Corker in Tennessee.(an even more red state)

He didn't resign though so he is still there for a bit over a year. He just isn't running again.

numble

Considering Flake's GOP challenger was running to the right of him, I could his replacement would be more receptive of funding for things like gaming education education.
The hope is the GOP nominee doesn't win. With the way things are trending, it could be difficult for a GOP nominee to win in a midterm. Democrats are usually in favor of NEA funding (which could see more grants for indie games and non-commercial games-as-art pieces) and are in favor of the Paris Accords. This is a big deal for gaming.

Jeels

This is getting ridiculous. The politics ban needs to be lifted. People walking on eggshells trying to discuss political news.

tr4nce 26

Banned
Jeff Flake also did not support the Paris Accords, while NeoGAF is for the Paris Accords. If he is replaced by someone in favor of the Accords, it would be another step towards achieving NeoGAF's public policy positions.

Very big news for gaming and NeoGAF.

I'm not disagreeing with the paris accord, but why are you just assuming that everyone on NeoGAF is for it?

adj_noun

This is getting ridiculous. The politics ban needs to be lifted. People walking on eggshells trying to discuss political news.

I feel like at any moment now someone's going to straight facedly suggest having a separate section of the forum devoted to off-topic subjects so they don't end up cluttering gaming.

Atenhaus

The hope is the GOP nominee doesn't win. With the way things are trending, it could be difficult for a GOP nominee to win in a midterm. Democrats are usually in favor of NEA funding (which could see more grants for indie games and non-commercial games-as-art pieces) and are in favor of the Paris Accords. This is a big deal for gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if the Dems could flip Flake's seat, but I don't think the Dems will be able to field an effective candidate this time around. Ward seems to be popular with the GOP in AZ. *shrug*

You're right, though - the Dems having control of Congress does usually mean increased funding to the NEA and adherence to the Paris Accords. Both are VERY important for gaming.

Resonance

I propose that we create a separate section of the forum devoted to off-topic subjects so they don't end up cluttering gaming.

numble

It isn't facetious to say it isn't big for gaming. His criticism of video games was enough to warrant the Higher Education Video Game Alliance to organize a campaign against his anti-video game stance:
https://hevga.org/article_writeups/correct-the-record-on-the-importance-of-video-game-programs/

Today, Arizona Senator Jeff Flake published his 2017 “Wastebook,” complete with Pokémon-inspired cover artwork. This document is in keeping with a long tradition of the Senator’s efforts to highlight some of the most outlandish government expenditures. In this year’s report, Senator Flake included Becker College’s Massachusetts Digital Games Institute and commented that while “coming up with new concepts may literally be all fun and games, doing so should not be paid for by gaming the taxpayers.”

As is often the case, this unfortunate incident was most likely born out of misunderstanding.

Many continue to be unaware of the important jobs skills training work taking place at our schools and colleges, and don’t recognize the many contributions the video game industry is making to the country, our workforce and our economy.

numble

His annual publication, “Wastebook” basically lampoons video games on its front cover, likening them to waste:
pjFomc2_d.jpg

https://www.flake.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=03100833-ECA9-459F-A100-03FA9419007F

That was a really good speech, nice to see someone with an R next to their name standing up for something approaching decency.

Anyone think he'll get into the pro Smash scene after his term is up?

Pikelet

It's pretty clear that this thread is a not-so-subtle jab at Gaf's new 'no politics' policy.

I tend to agree that it's an unworkable policy because it's 2017 and politics frequently intersects with gaming, in addition to any other hobby that you could care to name.

Crom

You think people are walking on eggshells now?

Go back a week in time and try being slightly to the right on any issue (on this forum) and get piled on and banned. I got my member status taken away and was bumped down to Junior status despite being on here since 2006

Top Bottom