• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem (Standalone DLC) Review Thread

The next (smaller entry) or rather a midquel to Serious Sam 4 will be released on January 25th, 2022 (Tomorrow) - Thanks to Devolver Digital for sending in the codes to us. Our review will be up as soon as the embargo lifts on January 25th, at 8 AM PT. Stay tuned!

Game Info (none embargoed info)

Title - Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem

3 New Weapons and Gadgets
New Enemies
5 Levels
Tons of secrets
Price: $19.99
Steam Only/PC for now
Settings - After the events of Serious Sam 4 a bridge to Serious Sam 5 (Assuming there is going to be one)

Gaming Instincts

Score - 6.5/10

ACG Karak

Gman Lives

JarekzGaming

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Serious Sam 4 got a LOT of shit at launch. Were those issues fixed?

Kacho

Gold Member
The next (smaller entry) or rather a midquel to Serious Sam 4 will be released on January 25th, 2022 (Tomorrow) - Thanks to Devolver Digital for sending in the codes to us. Our review will be up as soon as the embargo lifts on January 25th, at 8 AM PT. Stay tuned!

Game Info (none embargoed info)

Title - Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem

3 New Weapons and Gadgets
New Enemies
5 Levels
Tons of secrets
Price: $19.99
Steam Only/PC for now
Settings - After the events of Serious Sam 4 a bridge to Serious Sam 5 (Assuming there is going to be one)

Gaming Instincts

Score - 6.5/10

ACG Karak

Gman Lives

Damn this looks awesome. Wonder how it runs?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am still getting into low 20s FPS on 1080P with a Ryzen 9 and a 1660 TI. Shouldn't be happening with how outdated this game looks.

To be fair this shares the same engine with SS4 right? The engine was god awful performance wise, essentially they wanted to market it on a stupid number of enemies on screen on huge maps. Both of which unsurprisingly didn't do to well on even on top end hardware. So sadly the 1660 Ti which I think is a little less powerful than a GTX 1070 which was 4 years old (now 6) at the time will really struggle. Not an excuse but just really expected.

quantity over quality.

Last edited:
To be fair this shares the same engine with SS4 right? The engine was god awful performance wise, essentially they wanted to market it on a stupid number of enemies on screen on huge maps. Both of which unsurprisingly didn't do to well on even on top end hardware. So sadly the 1660 Ti which I think is a little less powerful than a GTX 1070 which was 4 years old (now 6) at the time will really struggle. Not an excuse but just really expected.

quantity over quality.

Yep, 1660 TI isn't the best card out there you are right, but the SS4 engine known to be awful as you said and same issues linger. I have no issues with FPS on Sea of Thieves (Granted not as much crap on the screen) but still very nice fluid water physics and the like. Again compared UE4 to SS4 is basically apples to oranges.. They need a completely to switch over to UE5 for next game if they want to get any good sales and regain popularity, SS4 needs to go to the grave yard.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yep, 1660 TI isn't the best card out there you are right, but the SS4 engine known to be awful as you said and same issues linger. I have no issues with FPS on Sea of Thieves (Granted not as much crap on the screen) but still very nice fluid water physics and the like. Again compared UE4 to SS4 is basically apples to oranges.. They need a completely to switch over to UE5 for next game if they want to get any good sales and regain popularity, SS4 needs to go to the grave yard.

I think this is one or those examples that shows that superior stylised graphics not only look better, but look better for longer and seem to always run much better on hardware. Normally because there not trying to brute force graphics instead of having a style. I think serious sam lost touch when it went for a more serious look instead of doubling down on its zany and cartoony style seen prior. Shame because the games are fun as hell, but the more recent entries just look dated before they even release and as you noted run as badly as they look.

Last edited:
Prolly gonna wait for a bigger sale, since its running SS4 engine and that game ran like absolute dogshit on my 2080 and I even tested it on the lowest possible settings, framerates would drop to low 40's just randomly. Looks like they havent changed much nor are they doing anything special so this feels just like a dlc more than anything else. Fucking cmon, Serious Sam deserves better. Doom pushed the genre forward, it's the absolute best shooter of all time again, fucking do better for Sam.

I think this is one or those examples that shows that superior stylised graphics not only look better, but look better for longer and seem to always run much better on hardware. Normally because there not trying to brute force graphics instead of having a style. I think serious sam lost touch when it went for a more serious look instead of doubling down on its zany and cartoony style seen prior. Shame because the games are fun as hell, but the more recent entries just look dated before they even release and as you noted run as badly as they look.
100% The HD Collection looks and plays fantastic thanks to its more cartoony styl (just recently got 100% achievements on it, so I went through the 3 games) I have no clue why croteam went for a semi-realism art-style here... it makes no sense lol. Serious Sam 3 is so ugly and bland and reminds me of the Gears of War era where every shooter just had grays and browns, its awful.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

quantity over quality.

This does look pretty sick though

Top Bottom