• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Rogen Donkey Kong Movie Reportedly in the Works

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Back in September, Nintendo stunned fans with the announcement of the voice cast for the Super Mario movie. While reception to the cast has been a bit mixed, Seth Rogen's role as Donkey Kong seems to have been one of the most welcome announcements. Given the character's popularity, it should come as little surprise that Illumination is reportedly working on a Donkey Kong animated film, with Rogen reprising his role. the reporting comes from Giant Freakin Robot, and the outlet assumes Fred Armisen will also reprise his role as Cranky Kong in the spin-off, but has not confirmed with its sources, at this time.

Umbasaborne

Banned
donkey-kong-gaming.gif

RCU005

The sad part about the Mario movie is that Nintendo is actually, 100%, genuinely thinking that the movie is going to be successful. This is going to be another bizarre movie no matter what they do, just judging by the already bizarre cast.

All they had to do was a good CGI movie like those from Pixar, Dreamworks or even Sony Animation. This movie instead, is going to try to be "rad" and have licensed music which will put in in the cringe category as Tom & Jerry, Smurfs, Emoji Movie, etc.

Then, they will be wondering why the movie was a huge mistake!

I'll give it the first trailer. I don't even think they will survive the first trailer. I just can't imagine the cast like that in Mario characters in any scenario whatsoever. Maybe only Peach, but like Jack Black as Bowser? Keegan as TOAD?! Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong?! I mean is SO very bizarre! Not even weird, it's way beyond weird!

Then they are already thinking of spin offs like this?

The WORST part of this, is that if this fails is going to be 100% Nintendo's fault for trying to Hollywood-fy Mario (we all know it NEVER works), and they have so many amazing IPs which they can make movies from, like Star Fox and Metroid, whether animated or live action, depending on the IP. They have so much potential for doing movies (even much more so than PlayStation), but then they go ahead and reveal that cast!

Last edited:

TidusYuna

I heard the entire script/dialogue of the movie was improvised. They just record Seth Rogan having conversations about the Jungle while high with other cast members. Then whenever Seth Rogan says "weed," they edit it out and insert an audio of him saying "Bananas" instead.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The sad part about the Mario movie is that Nintendo is actually, 100%, genuinely thinking that the movie is going to be successful. This is going to be another bizarre movie no matter what they do, just judging by the already bizarre cast.

All they had to do was a good CGI movie like those from Pixar, Dreamworks or even Sony Animation. This movie instead, is going to try to be "rad" and have licensed music which will put in in the cringe category as Tom & Jerry, Smurfs, Emoji Movie, etc.

Then, they will be wondering why the movie was a huge mistake!

I'll give it the first trailer. I don't even think they will survive the first trailer. I just can't imagine the cast like that in Mario characters in any scenario whatsoever. Maybe only Peach, but like Jack Black as Bowser? Keegan as TOAD?! Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong?! I mean is SO very bizarre! Not even weird, it's way beyond weird!

Then they are already thinking of spin offs like this?

The WORST part of this, is that if this fails is going to be 100% Nintendo's fault for trying to Hollywood-fy Mario (we all know it NEVER works), and they have so many amazing IPs which they can make movies from, like Star Fox and Metroid, whether animated or live action, depending on the IP. They have so much potential for doing movies (even much more so than PlayStation), but then they go ahead and reveal that cast!

Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog were well recieved. So it could be ok

Top Bottom