• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Update 2.01 Released for 4K Support in 60fps Mode on PS5

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Update 2.01 Patch Notes for July 23:​

Update History on the PS4 says this:

Version 2.01
  • Support for 4K at high frame rate on PlayStation 5 in high resolution mode
That’s about it. It’s still a nice update by the studio even if there’s no new content included.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
No Xbox upgrades?

Ice Cube Wtf GIF

TrueLegend

Square Enix dumbass dropped the ball with their Definitive survivor trilogy on PS4. The thing should have been been a PS5 release with 4K60 for all three games. When the game's supply was low it would have sold more than whatever sales they got from the definitive survivor trilogy. PS. I got this stuff on PC. But I like platinum trophies more than steam achievements.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Very nice, good on you devs. This is how you treat your customers. Perhaps the previous 2 also?

Only a huge fan of the 1st reboot, but perhaps the sequels improve on the second attempt?

Common naughty dog, give us 60fps in Uncharted 4 and spin-off.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yup, Sony has been updating their SDK to make BC better. I know people hate those "stability updates" but they are SDK updates to enable features. They added support for offline saves transfer from PS4 to PS5 version of games and also recently enable 120fps mode for PS4 BC games.
Seemingly so

omegasc

I like this trend. Sony improved the BC support and devs are experimenting, I guess. I need NieR Replicant (currently playing) and Automata to get enhancements as well.
I played the TR trilogy earlier this year and had a lot of fun. Don't listen to the bad reviews. The games have flaws but are fun to play, especially Rise and Shadow due to gameplay improvements. TR2013 feels stiff but still ok.

Last edited:

Banned
Fps Boost lowers the resolution in some games isn't it?

not in this one. it's mostly in dynamic res games that will run in Xbox One settings instead of One X settings because the dynamic resolution basically breaks when using FPS boost.

we can see this on Series S, which has no choice but play the One S versions, so in games like Titanfall 2 where One S mode also has a dynamic res, the Series S will drop some frames but the resolution will never drop, because it's programmed to only drop if the framerate goes below 60fps... which in a 120fps mode it of course basically never does... so the resolution will also not scale.

this is why Titanfall 2 for example runs in one S mode when using FPS boost on Series X, because on One X the highest res is 6K in TF2, meaning it would only drop below 6k if the game goes below 60fps. this would make the 120fps mode pretty much unusable because it would not be able to run at 6k120fps at all.

Nice that the devs are doing this but it doesn't make the game any better.

I had to stop playing it on halfway through. It such a fucking chore and bland game.

This is great timing. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow was up next. Was excited because the Series X version had FPS Boost enabled, but this is WAY more appealing now.

Ev1L AuRoN

I just tried and it looked very sharp. Well this game looked OK (a bit blurry but way better than Rise) even on the framerate mode before, but it's even better now, whatever they did.
On PC Shadow is a lot cleaner than Rise because of the AA implementation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just tried and it looked very sharp. Well this game looked OK (a bit blurry but way better than Rise) even on the framerate mode before, but it's even better now, whatever they did.
Probably with PS4 Pro settings... I wish for a 1800p ultra settings option...
the ps4 pro was already 1870p compared to the 2016p Xbox one x version. They did not use checkerboarding like they did on rise.

So if I had to guess they are likely running the game at 1870p 60 fps on the ps5.

Ev1L AuRoN

the ps4 pro was already 1870p compared to the 2016p Xbox one x version. They did not use checkerboarding like they did on rise.

So if I had to guess they are likely running the game at 1870p 60 fps on the ps5.
But with lower texture, no tesselation and simplified post effects like the ps4 version.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Really good update.

Game is awesome in terms of pure Tomb Raider experience - exploration.

Story and gunplay is not the best though.

omegasc

But with lower texture, no tesselation and simplified post effects like the ps4 version.
Hmm it is using the Pro's High Resolution mode at 60fps, not the previous High Framerate one. According to DF, the previous versions were 1872 native using checkerboarding to 2160. Xbox One X was 2016p with TAA. I don't know about the textures.
They did recently improve the game, right before it was added to PS+ if I recall correctly.
It looks amazing anyways, and HDR is very nice in this game, to me.

edit: PS4 Pro and Xbox One X already had the "enhanced 4k" textures.

Last edited:
Top Bottom