• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Tomb Raider Nextgen patch Analysis (PS5 vs SX/S) - A Digital foundry video

Actually what we see is CBR artefacts seen on vegetation, not the typical aliasing (you can also see aliasing on XSX). But the game is not only made of vegetation, there are plenty of rocks, walls etc. in that game (more so than vegetation if you do the tombs stuff). Stuff that they didn't show unsuprisingly as I'd except those to look a bit sharper on PS5. Overall for image quality it's a wash. A bit more sharper on PS5 but with some CBR artefacts. Better image in motion on XSX but it's hard to see because of the TAA + motion blur.

Obviously the PS5 still has a noticeable performance advantage, up to 10 fps higher in some areas.
Yeah they really should have made the xsx CB as well. Probably be pretty solid all around then

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think they're just testing Freesync. HDMI Forum VRR is an HDMI 2.1 feature. The fact that they do basically the same doesn't mean they are the same.

Freesync is a form of VRR.
But VRR as a concept/function has been in the Xbox since a long time ago.

Adaptive Sync, Variable Refresh, FreeSync are all different names for VRR.
Just like G-Sync is Nvidias name for their Variable Refresh Rate technology, FreeSync is AMDs name, HDMI Forums VRR is simply named HDMI VRR.
But they are all VRR technologies.

From the release:
The Xbox One X and One S primarily use the FreeSync format, but they also support HDMI VRR. If your TV supports FreeSync, that's what the console will send it, if it doesn't but does support HDMI VRR, it will send it that instead. That's why some people who have TVs that aren't on the FreeSync compatibility list are still able to activate VRR on their Xbox.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yeah they really should have made the xsx CB as well. Probably be pretty solid all around then
They'd have to go back and change the One X version, doubt it would be worth it for them.

Some games have really good CB (this, Sekiro), some are dog shit (Avengers, broken Red Dead Redemption 2). It'll be interesting to see what they can do this gen with reconstruction tech.

Arioco

Freesync is a form of VRR.
But VRR as a concept/function has been in the Xbox since a long time ago.

Adaptive Sync, Variable Refresh, FreeSync are all different names for VRR.
Just like G-Sync is Nvidias name for their Variable Refresh Rate technology, FreeSync is AMDs name, HDMI Forums VRR is simply named HDMI VRR.
But they are all VRR technologies.

From the release:

Exactly, when people say One X doesn't support VRR I think they mean it doesn't support HDMI VRR, that is now supported on Series X/S, because One X supports Freesync which is a form of VRR.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Exactly, when people say One X doesn't support VRR I think they mean it doesn't support HDMI VRR, that is now supported on Series X/S, because One X supports Freesync which is a form of VRR.

The thing is does because HDMI VRR is ported to HDMI 2.0b which the One X uses.
Yes its not part of HDMI 2.0b specification but it can work over HDMI 2.0b....and the One X does support it.
Just connect your One X to a non-Freesync VRR capable TV and youll see the refresh rate update using HDMI VRR.

assurdum

Banned
They'd have to go back and change the One X version, doubt it would be worth it for them.

Some games have really good CB (this, Sekiro), some are dog shit (Avengers, broken Red Dead Redemption 2). It'll be interesting to see what they can do this gen with reconstruction tech.
Avengers has improved the CBR with the last patch but frankly DRS with sub 1440p CBR is stupid as hell and useless. I really don't get it why CD didn't used DRS with native resolution because it's supported at 30 FPS. The drops in resolution are awfully visible in the more opened area. Though the game is a total shit experience and I can't give a fuck.

ethomaz

Banned
If this is a joke post, I don't get it.
Xbox One X is HDMI 2.0b. Xbox One S is HDMI 2.0a. Both have robust VRR support.
I use the VRR feature of my Xbox One X frequently with my VRR-capable monitor. Not only is it obviously functioning based on visual appearance, my monitor has a refresh rate display feature, so I can see the refresh rate changing to match the game's output in real time.
I admit that I've never tried to use the VRR of my One S. I'll give that a go when I find an unlocked game on One S that runs between 40-60hz.
Bullshit.

Made up story and called others to be joking lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Like 3 years ago mate.

Yes it supports FreeSync.
There are actually around 200 TVs that supports FreeSync and monitors a even bigger number.

Of course that is today… when Xbox One X launched and 2 years after the FreeSync support was near 0 on TVs… you have to buy a monitor for that.

Last edited:
There are actually around 200 TVs that supports FreeSync and monitors a even bigger number.

Of course that is today… when Xbox One X launched and 2 years after the FreeSync support was near 0 on TVs… you have to buy a monitor for that.
FreeSync is an adaptive synchronization technology for liquid-crystal and OLED displays that support a variable refresh rate, aimed at avoiding tearing and reducing stuttering caused by misalignment between the screen's refresh rate and the content's frame rate

Gonna add that you just made yourself the Joke of this thread.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
FreeSync is an adaptive synchronization technology for liquid-crystal and OLED displays that support a variable refresh rate, aimed at avoiding tearing and reducing stuttering caused by misalignment between the screen's refresh rate and the content's frame rate
Ok.

And FreeSync over HDMI is not the same as HDMI VRR.
That is the point.

There are devices that supports FreeSync but not VRR and vice versa.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
From the horses mouth:

xbox-one-x-vrr.jpg

?

They pushed for 4k with framerate issues with Xbox One X without VRR support.
So I don’t think the reason to do that is due VRR.

Ok.

That is the point.

No one actually said HDMI VRR specifically. It's quite literally shittier freesync premium. Freesync has been referred to as VRR for like 6 years now. It's basically just short form.

FreeSync.

Freesync is VRR

Kuranghi

Usual DF jargon, I find that they are the least useful of their kind of analysis.

Agreed, my biggest bug bear is that they don't really know what the eff they are talking about with HDR sometimes, they praise some presentations and then I try it and it looks oversaturated as hell and with garbage eye searing whites that looks like terrible HDR photography.

Its frustrating when HDR is so confusing and its a wild west in terms of how you grade things (often they are doing in way after all the art has been created for an SDR presentation and the engine doesn't really support just "flicking" it on) and so rightfully confused casuals are thinking thats a good presenatation and then they see a properly good one and say "ohh its not really vibrant and too dark most of the time" when HDR really needs a light controlled environment to look correct, you can apply bright room picture settings but its just going to remove a lot of the lovely depth that HDR gives just so you can see the image in a bright room. Its a crime to watch HDR in a lit room and it robs it of its best qualities 90% of the time imo.

If somebody told me it was one of the previous games with a new costume I would have believed it... One may as well replay the old games if they have them.

makaveli60

Am I the only one who thinks this game is underrated? I enjoyed the previous ones too but expected to be bored with it for the third time but no. It looks awesome on ps5 and I think I have never seen such a realistic and lush jungle before. Not even in UC4.

SomeGit

Ok.

That is the point.

There might be, but I honest don't know of any TV that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR, but not Freesync. Even rtings aren't showing any cases, but that might be incomplete.
The opposite is easy to find for HDMI 2.0 TVs.

For all intents and purposes they are the same as Freesync is a VRR tecnology, so saying that the One X has VRR support isn't wrong.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Slightly off topic but Im a few hkurs in and wondering if the game opens up any.

Its been extremely boring and if this is what it is Im uninstalling.

Star-Lord

Am I the only one who thinks this game is underrated? I enjoyed the previous ones too but expected to be bored with it for the third time but no. It looks awesome on ps5 and I think I have never seen such a realistic and lush jungle before. Not even in UC4.
I think the entire rebooted series is underrated. A lot of people write it off as being too gritty and too edgy, but I quite enjoyed the added tension. For me, the highlight was Rise, with Shadow a close second, with the first game being equally close in third. I may give all three another run when I get my PS5.

makaveli60

I think the entire rebooted series is underrated. A lot of people write it off as being too gritty and too edgy, but I quite enjoyed the added tension. For me, the highlight was Rise, with Shadow a close second, with the first game being equally close in third. I may give all three another run when I get my PS5.
I agree. The first game was actually unbelievable to me in 2013 running on lastgen hardware. I didn’t like Rise that much as the first but it was still good. But Shadow is again awesome. I like that it has less combat (just like UC4). So yeah it’s a good game and technically a seriously overlooked title. I guess that’s the result of being underrated generally.

Star-Lord

I agree. The first game was actually unbelievable to me in 2013 running on lastgen hardware. I didn’t like Rise that much as the first but it was still good. But Shadow is again awesome. I like that it has less combat (just like UC4). So yeah it’s a good game and technically a seriously overlooked title. I guess that’s the result of being underrated generally.
I only played the first game once it was re-released on PS4 as the definitive edition. I was amazed, from a technical standpoint, at how smooth it ran. Again, it was grittier than I was used to in previous entries, but that seemed to work in it's favour. Then Rise was released, and I played on PS4 Pro at a silky-smooth 60FPS. The plot was a tad weak, but the gameplay made up for it - and, as a bonus, the Classic Lara skin was a welcome blast from the past. Then Shadow was released, and it was pretty much Tomb Raider back to it's former glory.

makaveli60

I only played the first game once it was re-released on PS4 as the definitive edition. I was amazed, from a technical standpoint, at how smooth it ran. Again, it was grittier than I was used to in previous entries, but that seemed to work in it's favour. Then Rise was released, and I played on PS4 Pro at a silky-smooth 60FPS. The plot was a tad weak, but the gameplay made up for it - and, as a bonus, the Classic Lara skin was a welcome blast from the past. Then Shadow was released, and it was pretty much Tomb Raider back to it's former glory.
It was a decent upgrade on PS4 but I played it on X360 and trust me, it had no right to look that good on that console.

Top Bottom