• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

ManaByte

Gold Member
E20K_cIXoAMKwNC

Marvel Studios' "Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings" stars Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, who must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization. The film also stars Tony Leung as Wenwu, Awkwafina as Shang-Chi's friend Katy and Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan, as well as Fala Chen, Meng'er Zhang, Florian Munteanu and Ronny Chieng.

Only in theaters September 3rd (for 45 days). Disney+ (for free) after 45 days.

McCheese

Fan screenings of this take place tonight (8/18), so spoilers will be everywhere.

The script got leaked ages ago tho.

he is told to steal the rings from his dad to protect some sacred village, but is then double crossed as it turned out his dad was actually good and was using the rings to protect them, Mandrin is the actual villain and once he gets the rings he unleashes some ancient dragon thing

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

he is told to steal the rings from his dad to protect some sacred village, but is then double crossed as it turned out his dad was actually good and was using the rings to keep the dragon at bah, Mandrin is the actual villain and releases it.

Um. His dad is the Mandarin.

sol_bad

How do you even know the script leak is even a real script leak? I ain't clicking on this spoilers by the way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Only in theaters September 3rd (for 45 days). Disney+ (for free) after 45 days.
So my options are to drive a few hundred miles to see a movie, or wait 45 days. Thanks Disney.

Guess I'll see if this is any good once it hits Disney+.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So my options are to drive a few hundred miles to see a movie, or wait 45 days. Thanks Disney.

This is also me. Unless I can catch a late weekday screening a week or so after release so it isn't crowded I am just going to catch it on D+. It's just not worth it to me to get out in all of this to catch a movie for a couple hours.

And that isn't even about just Covid. The gas, the food, the hassle, etc etc. It's just not worth it to me. Would rather catch it at my house with friends and just eat my own food for a fraction of the price.

sol_bad

I have no choice, no movies playing in Sydney at the moment.
I'm wondering if Shang Chi will still be premiere access on Disney+ after the first 45 days. It makes me think it'll cannibalize their sales on other digital platforms if they release it for "free" on Disney+. Is someone going to pay $20-$30 on another platform to watch it or pay for a month of Disney+ to watch it? Most would go the cheaper option.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm wondering if Shang Chi will still be premiere access on Disney+ after the first 45 days.

If it was they would've said so in the earnings call. It's normal Disney+ after 45 days. Same thing Paramount, Universal, and WB are doing.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Spoilers are coming out from the fan screenings.

The mid credits scene is awesome. But it will trigger a certain segment of “fans”.

ManaByte

Gold Member

he is told to steal the rings from his dad to protect some sacred village, but is then double crossed as it turned out his dad was actually good and was using the rings to protect them, Mandrin is the actual villain and once he gets the rings he unleashes some ancient dragon thing
Confirmed that this “script leak” is 100% BS.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is also me. Unless I can catch a late weekday screening a week or so after release so it isn't crowded I am just going to catch it on D+. It's just not worth it to me to get out in all of this to catch a movie for a couple hours.

And that isn't even about just Covid. The gas, the food, the hassle, etc etc. It's just not worth it to me. Would rather catch it at my house with friends and just eat my own food for a fraction of the price.

Do what I do: take public transportation to theater, meet friend, get ticket, watch movie, go eat where you want to eat for WAY less than the theater, hang with friend(s), go home.

It's so much better with people you love... And sometimes they pay for your food. :)

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’ve just had a realisation.

Despite this being MCU, not once have I considered that it will be connected to other MCU movies and that Shang Chi will have a continued role.

Maybe it’s because I know nothing about him, and maybe it’s because I mostly go into these things blind. Maybe it’s because he seems street level when we also have people like Wanda and Strange, but don’t know what’s going on with Daredevil and other street level people that may or may not exist now. But for every other MCU property there’s some speculation of how it will connect to the bigger picture, except for this one.

I hope it’s good. Being an early Phase 4 movie is a tough task.

ManaByte

Gold Member
plz spoil the credits scenes for me.
Mid Credits: Shang-Chi, Aquafina, Wong talking with holograms of Bruce Banner and Captain Marvel in the Sanctum about the power of the Ten Rings.

After Credits: Shang-Chi's sister on the throne with the Ten Rings soldiers training and rebuilding and then the words THE TEN RINGS WILL RETURN.

trikster40

Just curious if they’re going to address the other Mandarin from IM3. This should be fun.

However, I just don’t like Awkwafina. She’s awful. And why would you want to make yourself after water anyway?

sol_bad

Just curious if they’re going to address the other Mandarin from IM3. This should be fun.

However, I just don’t like Awkwafina. She’s awful. And why would you want to make yourself after water anyway?

Ben Kingsly was at the opening event, hopefully that means he is in the film.

ManaByte

Gold Member

They did in the short. They made one called All Hail the King where he's in prison and he's broken out by the Ten Rings because the REAL Mandarin was mad that he was impersonating him. He shows up in this movie.

He's shown in a Ten Rings prison practicing a monologue. They reference the prison break in the short and they were going to kill him until they took a liking to his acting abilities and he's basically a court jester to Wenwu/The Mandarin.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Marvel used a pull quote from Grace Randolph on a social post promoting the reviews and Twitter is NOT happy about it.

nush

Gold Member
I looked into this. Hilarious seen as they obviously created it FOR China.

When they are capable of making their own movies by China and FOR China. No need to profit share.

Wolf%2BWarrior%2B2%2BCharacter%2B1.jpg

Wolf Warrior II, full of Chinese propaganda, unrealistic logic and physics and a fucking ironically good time. I respect the honesty over the pandering.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When they are capable of making their own movies by China and FOR China. No need to profit share.

Wolf Warrior II, full of Chinese propaganda, unrealistic logic and physics and a fucking ironically good time. I respect the honesty over the pandering.

They way Hollywood has sucked up to China is possibly the most embarrassing thing in its entire history. And you’re right - Chinese don’t give a shit. Why would they want this Shang Chi, dull as fuck westernised Kung Fu CGI rubbish?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Man, Frank Grillo really is in everything.

nush

Gold Member
So Black Panther was made for Africa?
Captain Marvel was just made for women?
Guardians of the Galaxy was made just for aliens?
Iron Man was made just for rich people?
I'm confused.

Is this a straw man? Reads like a straw man. I'm confused. Because obviously you're in no way you're a Marvel stan and surely you must understand context.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How did you feel about the second half of the movie being Black Panther levels of obvious green-screen?

Did you see it?

It was CGI, yes, but it was done better than what they did in BP... And I LOVED BP.

Edit: the story was really great, which is why I go to a movie ITFP

Last edited:
Top Bottom