• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

ManaByte

Gold Member
It has legs. Those hoping for it to crater are going to be upset.

After grossing $9.7 million on its second Friday, “Shang-Chi” is now estimated for a second weekend total of $32 million, higher than the $25 million grossed by “Black Widow” in its second weekend. This also means that “Shang-Chi” has a stronger box office pace with an estimated $141 million 10-day total, compared to $131 million for “Black Widow.”

MrMephistoX

Well this is it 1st theater experience in nearly 2 years. Fully vaxxed and ready!
nK0fDOc.jpg

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It has legs. Those hoping for it to crater are going to be upset.

Paramount kicking themselves yet for moving their movies? Theirs were the only movies that I cared to see in the theater. Now, I think I'll do exactly like I did for Shang-chi and wait for a rental. I'm saving so much money not taking my whole family out, I might just have enough soon to upgrade my sound system.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well this is it 1st theater experience in nearly 2 years. Fully vaxxed and ready!
nK0fDOc.jpg
Cinepolis are nice theaters.

Paramount kicking themselves yet for moving their movies? Theirs were the only movies that I cared to see in the theater. Now, I think I'll do exactly like I did for Shang-chi and wait for a rental. I'm saving so much money not taking my whole family out, I might just have enough soon to upgrade my sound system.

Pretty sure Tom Cruise made that call believing they'd make more money pushing them. Xenu told him.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Gawd that burger looks delicious. what is that with it? Mac n cheese?
Kiddo threw some popcorn on my fries because you can’t watch a movie in a cinema without popcorn. And yeah the burger was delicious after nearly two years of only home made and fast food burgers: restaurant grilled burgers are delicious in person and overdone sweaty garbage over Door Dash.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Kiddo threw some popcorn on my fries because you can’t watch a movie in a cinema without popcorn. And yeah the burger was delicious after nearly two years of only home made and fast food burgers: restaurant grilled burgers are delicious in person and overdone sweaty garbage over Door Dash.
Dude, where do you live? I mean, I've been out and about since summer of last year.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I went to a 4DX showing of it tonight with a different friend. I just got home. Man... THAT was a roller coaster ride! The movie was even better the second time around! Just mad fun!

pulp-fiction-samuel-jackson.gif

Or at least it looks tasty.

Funny thing... Before the movie, my friend and I ate at this burger place and a wall painting of him was RIGHT THERE staring at us while he was biting into that burger! LOL! I had a Western BBQ Burger and fries.

MrMephistoX

I went to a 4DX showing of it tonight with a different friend. I just got home. Man... THAT was a roller coaster ride! The movie was even better the second time around! Just mad fun!

Funny thing... Before the movie, my friend and I ate at this burger place and a wall painting of him was RIGHT THERE staring at us while he was biting into that burger! LOL! I had a Western BBQ Burger and fries.
Perfect casting all around I went in spoiler free and so I had no idea Tony Fucking Leung was In it and he did a badass job as usual. I need to rewatch Infernal Affairs.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Perfect casting all around I went in spoiler free and so I had no idea Tony Fucking Leung was In it and he did a badass job as usual. I need to rewatch Infernal Affairs.

Bro. My friend said Tony is her favorite Asian actor ... Made it even better! She didn't know he was in it either

MrMephistoX

Bro. My friend said Tony is her favorite Asian actor ... Made it even better! She didn't know he was in it either
He’s fabulous check out in no particular order:

Hero
Lust Caution
Infernal Affairs
Hard Boiled

He’s prolific in Hong Kong cinema so there’s tons more out there subbed. Dude is still handsome but as a youngster he was gorgeous and I’m saying that as a married straight man lol

It would be awesome if Marvel can get a King Kong drama director to do a limited series with Tony on D+ I honestly was bummed at the end.

Last edited:
Saw it this weekend.

I thought Tony Leung was the best thing about the movie. That guy is a different tier of actor from the others scrubs they cast! He has such a strong on screen presence.

There was also Ben Kingsley I guess. But they turned Sir Kingsley into weak comedy fodder. Not sure why he even agreed to be in it (well the money obv.)

The actual main character I thought was mediocre. The actor does his action scenes well enough. I think maybe just the way he was written is the issue for me. I felt his ending fight was completely unearned and out of nowhere.

He goes from being an ok fighter, who then takes like 1 fighting lesson from his aunt and then literally a few minutes later goes on to fight and destroy not only
his dad who is this 1000 year old actual bad ass with super powers. But then defeats this ancient thousands year old demon who just took his fathers soul

nush

Gold Member
He’s fabulous check out in no particular order:

Hero
Lust Caution
Infernal Affairs
Hard Boiled

He’s prolific in Hong Kong cinema so there’s tons more out there subbed. Dude is still handsome but as a youngster he was gorgeous and I’m saying that as a married straight man lol

It would be awesome if Marvel can get a King Kong drama director to do a limited series with Tony on D+ I honestly was bummed at the end.

Rewatching Infernal Affairs now I can't take Eric Tsang seriously as a mafia boss after seeing him on the packages of so many products here in China with his thumbs up pose. I think he's second only to Jackie Chan in that respect.

2017_1_20_2378_001.jpg

SkylineRKR

I thought it was average at best.

The first hour? sure, very good. Leung was the best but didn't have much to do in it yet. I liked several fights such as on the bus. But then we get into the second half of the movie and to me Shang-Chi fell apart there. And why does Disney always feel the need to make it a

global threat with CGI trash? Who cared about that textbook Dragon fight?

Amiga

Saw it this weekend.

I thought Tony Leung was the best thing about the movie. That guy is a different tier of actor from the others scrubs they cast! He has such a strong on screen presence.

There was also Ben Kingsley I guess. But they turned Sir Kingsley into weak comedy fodder. Not sure why he even agreed to be in it (well the money obv.)

The actual main character I thought was mediocre. The actor does his action scenes well enough. I think maybe just the way he was written is the issue for me. I felt his ending fight was completely unearned and out of nowhere.

He goes from being an ok fighter, who then takes like 1 fighting lesson from his aunt and then literally a few minutes later goes on to fight and destroy not only
his dad who is this 1000 year old actual bad ass with super powers. But then defeats this ancient thousands year old demon who just took his fathers soul

he was trained by his mom since he was a kid. and trained again by his father but differently. so forgot the essence of his mothers style. once he fully embraced the original style he could channel the chi and apply it to the fight.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
nK0fDOc.jpg
Did you finish before the theater went dark? I get nachos when I go and I find that if I don't finish before the lights go out, I am covered in Cheese sauce like a small baby trying to eat nacho cheese.

If I get a meal at my theaters I get Chicken Fingers because it is a little cleaner.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Surprisingly fun take on Eastern Philosophy.

Awkwafina was just awkward though. Yikes, not a good look, etc...

MrMephistoX

Did you finish before the theater went dark? I get nachos when I go and I find that if I don't finish before the lights go out, I am covered in Cheese sauce like a small baby trying to eat nacho cheese.

If I get a meal at my theaters I get Chicken Fingers because it is a little cleaner.
Mostly the burger came a little before it went dark and I went full on napkin as a bib tucked into my collar like a toddler at a country club.

Rat Rage

I had the displeasure of watching this movie (was dragged into it), and boy was this a shitty movie.

Character performances = ass (all wooden performances expect for Ben Kingsley).
Characters = ass (almost all of them lacked any kind of interesting personality)
Dialogs = ass (run of the mill writing so bad you could guess all the dialogs because you've heard them millionth of times in other mediocre or worse movies. I don't even think it was written by a human. It was probably some sort of A.I. that randomly generated the dialogs from the most generic movies hollywood has to offer)
Story = ass (uninteresting, uninspired, boring as fuck story. Not even one original thought in there)

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I had the displeasure of watching this movie (was dragged into it), and boy was this a shitty movie.

Character performances = ass (all wooden performances expect for Ben Kingsley).
Characters = ass (almost all of them lacked any kind of interesting personality)
Dialogs = ass (run of the mill writing so bad you could guess all the dialogs because you've heard them millionth of times in other mediocre or worse movies. I don't even think it was written by a human. It was probably some sort of A.I. that randomly generated the dialogs from the most generic movies hollywood has to offer)
Story = ass (uninteresting, uninspired, boring as fuck story. Not even one original thought in there)
But is it better than Black Widow or Captain Marvel? :lollipop_grinning:

sol_bad

Dayum, another 21 million at the USA box office on it's 3rd weekend. Movie will easily jump pass the 300 million mark with the international box office.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Dayum, another 21 million at the USA box office on it's 3rd weekend. Movie will easily jump pass the 300 million mark with the international box office.

Guess it has legs. Sucks for some people cheerleading its early death.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I watched the early 90's "Showdown in Little Tokyo" with Brandon Lee (and Dolph Lundgren and the stellar Tia Carrere) last night. Other than being terrible yet gloriously late 80's/early 90's in its treatment of Asian culture, it showed that the ballistic arc of Brandon Lee from SiLT to Rapid Fire to The Crow probably would have had him doing Shang Chi alongside Blade in the late 90's or early 00's had he lived. What a team up THAT would have been.

sol_bad

What is so great about 300 million with the production cost of 150 million?

They also had to spend money on advertisements. So if it makes 350 million it will have maybe broke even. Is that the new measurement for success?

How is it compared to all the other movies released over the last 18 months?

What is so great about 300 million with the production cost of 150 million?

They also had to spend money on advertisements. So if it makes 350 million it will have maybe broke even. Is that the new measurement for success?
3x production budget is general rule of thumb. So it actually hasn’t broke even yet. Nor will $350 mil make it break even.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
How is it compared to all the other movies released over the last 18 months?
Some did worse some did better. Some did pre-pandemic numbers. You can't use that as an excuse for everything.

For example, there was absolutely no competition for the movie except an homage to 70's and 80's horror schlock.

Top Bottom