• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shark" - Netflix gaming platform iOS app code contains images of Dual Sense and Ghost of Tsushima

bender

What time is it?
Someone at Apple will need to explain why Netflix gets special treatment and can stream games through their app while Stadia/Xbox/Geforce can't. If this turns out to be the case.
giphy.gif

reksveks

Sony is fully capable of creating a rectangle PS5 to place in a rack. They most likely have already.
They don't need to own their own infrastructure/data centers. They can just rent rack space.
Sorry being a bit slow but confused at what seems to be a slight reversal

Okay, so you are saying they (Sony) would own some racks and place them where? The reason I bought up AWS is cause people was saying that Netflix could help them scale the coverage.

Last edited:

sendit

Okay, so you are saying they (Sony) would own some racks and place them where? The reason I bought up AWS is cause people was saying that Netflix could help them scale the coverage.

In whatever cloud provider they contract with. For example. Apple literally placed Mac Mini's in AWS datacenters to run Mac OS in the cloud.

Netflix places caching devices (Netflix Catalogs/OCA) in many internet service providers networks to ease ingress Netflix traffic at the edge of a providers network (Multiple depending on the size of the ISP) so depending on hardware requirements, they could require ISPs to add additional equipment to work in conjunction with their catalogs or replace them entirely with a new streaming/gaming appliance. The next step would be whatever datacenters Netflix has presence in (Including AWS as lots of physical datacenters peer directly with AWS).

Bryank75

Banned
After hiring a former EA and Oculus executive Mike Verdu to lead Netflix streaming gaming platform in the making as the VP of game development...

...it was revealed that the OS code of app code apparently contains images of Dual Sense and Ghost of Tsushima!

Are we seeing a partnership unfold that can shift the balance in future streaming services? Could PS Now 2.0 be such a joint venture? Let the jolly speculations begin.

There is no future for game streaming.

How many times does it have to fail for the industry to realize? It doesn't matter...it will keep dying anyway.

Aion002

Wow... I would immediately subscribe to it.

Hopefully it works well enough (like the Xbox thing) in this forsaken land.

reksveks

In whatever cloud provider they contract with. For example. Apple literally placed Mac Mini's in AWS datacenters to run Mac OS in the cloud.
Now I understand you, I don't know if the same relationship applies necessarily between Sony and Amazon purely cause I can't see many devs building a app for the Sony console via AWS or using that hardware to run very niche applications. I could see Amazon still taking the free money.

I also would probably highlight its not a huge coverage. 5/21.

EC2 Mac instances are available today in US East (N. Virginia), US East (Ohio), US West (Oregon), EU (Ireland), and Asia-Pacific (Singapore)

But who knows maybe its possible.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How does this Netflix gaming division work? Do they actually make their own games or do they just work on licensing their properties to be made into games?
They most likely license existing games first until they can bid for exclusives or build their own IPs.

Netflix has a massive streaming content distribution infrastructure that they can tap into, one of the best in existence. That already gives them an advantage over many other players already consolidated in the gaming space.

Last edited:
I would rather Sony focus on Anime streaming content. Either through Netflix add on or something other than funimation and crunchyroll.
Then start doing partnerships with games later

kingfey

Banned
Does this mean, Sony will fully embrace pc world, if they are ready to do this?

Also, this won't be a real challenge to gamepass. In order for it to be a challenge, they will need to make cloud savings, across their consoles. Not to mention, the biggest elephant in the room, which is gamepass day1.

If Sony will want to challenge gamepass, they need to do, day1 games for this new service.

By the time this service will be available, gamepass would have tons of day1 games. Unless the service is releasing this year.

Either way, I am happy that I can experience Sony games, without being tied to a console, if this is true. I will subscribe it day1, if they announce it.

sendit

Now I understand you, I don't know if the same relationship applies necessarily between Sony and Amazon purely cause I can't see many devs building a app for the Sony console via AWS or using that hardware to run very niche applications. I could see Amazon still taking the free money.

I also would probably highlight its not a huge coverage. 5/21.

EC2 Mac instances are available today in US East (N. Virginia), US East (Ohio), US West (Oregon), EU (Ireland), and Asia-Pacific (Singapore)

But who knows maybe its possible.

I don't think it would be a integrated feature like that in AWS (or whatever cloud provider). It would be Sony utilizing the providers infrastructure resources (totally transparent to the customer) and having their own dev's develop software or a ui/console.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Sony spent $380 mil buying gaikai in 2012. They have been serious about streaming for a long time. I’m curious what they’ll do but it just feels like this stuff if still years away from being ready for the primetime.

Bryank75

Banned

Sony spent $380 mil buying gaikai in 2012. They have been serious about streaming for a long time. I’m curious what they’ll do but it just feels like this stuff if still years away from being ready for the primetime.

It will never be 'ready', due to the physics. the input / output back and forth and the distance they have to travel each time combined with network inconsistency and compression, just kills it.

It is a fools errand.

consoul

I look forward to finishing a game and having a preview of Virgin River autoplay 5 seconds into the credit roll.

It will never be 'ready', due to the physics. the input / output back and forth and the distance they have to travel each time combined with network inconsistency and compression, just kills it.

It is a fools errand.
Doesnt matter. People dont give a shit about any of that. If theres games and great access. People will be there.

GHG

Gold Member
Someone at Apple will need to explain why Netflix gets special treatment and can stream games through their app while Stadia/Xbox/Geforce can't. If this turns out to be the case.

Moonlight (which is basically gamestream) works great on my Apple TV 4k.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Sony partnering with Netflix would a huge shake up. However... it doesn't really make sense, given that it would directly compete with Sony's own PS Now... where they don't have the majority of their first party titles?

Neofire

OK anti-streamers and subbers, if Sony partners with NF, you still not liking it?

Or is it suddenly going to be a great service?
Nope it too will be an abomination to gaming and seeing how most of the leadership now is Caucasian in the PlayStation division I wouldn't doubt if any and everything is on the table just make a buck.

Bryank75

Banned
Doesnt matter. People dont give a shit about any of that. If theres games and great access. People will be there.

The only way I could see it being any way useful is of having a niche in countries where gaming is prohibitively expensive for most people.

However I think most will still prefer and aspire to own a console / hardware.

There's no point in going backwards in terms of tech just to accommodate more people......the core gamers are the 'whales', you can see that from PS5 game sales..... with only 10 million sales, PS5 game sales are way ahead of PS4 already at least in terms of chart-games. Despite PS4 having 120 million units.

You also speak for 'people'..... most people are not gamers. You need a controller to play anything anyway. Gaming is and always has been super cheap, especially with the second hand market..........you could get a PS3/4 for 100 euro with tons of games. There is no accessibility issue for most people.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Would be pretty funny if that happens, that would make PS now redundant.

However, this is all business.
EIther let your biggest competitor Microsoft conquer cloud gaming and rip the profits, or you have to do something about it.
Sony cant avoid that forever.

Bryank75

Banned
Would be pretty funny if that happens, that would make PS now redundant.

However, this is all business.
EIther let your biggest competitor Microsoft conquer cloud gaming and rip the profits, or you have to do something about it.
Sony cant avoid that forever.

GIF by MOODMAN
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN
Joe Biden Smile GIF

GreatnessRD

Not that game streaming interest me, but I do wonder if T-Mobile would also pay for premium version of Netflix since they already pay for my movie subscription. :pie_roffles:

…you know whose cloud based tech Netflix runs on, right? Because if you think a Netflix game streaming service is in any way of detriment to Amazon…

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Well obviously? Lol. That's not the point. Amazon can still offer a service, host it on their platform (Because why wouldn't they?), and then some other player (Netflix) comes in with a better service that is also hosted on Amazon. Just because you're the owner of AWS infrastructure doesn't mean whatever service you have is all of a sudden better.

Tygeezy

It is a fools errand.
If there is a serious rollout of fiber and not the half ass one that has been going on then it will work in the future. A buddy of mine pings la servers under 15 ms from Sacramento. You could get lower than that with more data centers obviously. Unfortunately a lot of people only have access to mediocre or bad service.

Last edited:

yurinka

PS Now on Netflix? Now that's the Netflix of the videogames!

PSNow doesn't offer PS5 games.
Sony is fully capable of creating a rectangle PS5 to place in a rack. They most likely have already.
Sony already confirmed like a couple of years ago that they will support PS5 games on PS Now. We'll see it pretty soon, maybe didn't have it for PS5 launch because they were negotiating with Netflix.

The rack they are renting won't be in the same hardware specs/config of the consoles though? Xbox made racks specifically for xcloud.
As I remember PS3 and PS4 racks for PS Now had mostly the same hardware than the consoles, but obviously with the logic changes to use it as a streaming server.

Netflix runs on Amazon Web Service.
And? It's the most popular cloud service to store stuff like that.

You need data centers filled with proprietary hardware. Not sure what kind of leverage Netflix even has to scale something such as game streaming. It is not the same as streaming passive content.
Sony has the propietary hardware, game streaming technology, and the biggest game streaming catalog, Netflix has over 200 million subscribers. They only have to put more PS Now racks on more data centers across the world. Most data centers for Google, Amazon, MS, their clouds and so on aren't owned by themselves, are 3rd party data center companies who rent their servers to any company who wants to use them, and in the same location they may have Azure, PSN, Netflix, Facebook, AWS and random websites.

You think Apple will change the rules or make an exception?
I think Apple will prefer to continue have Netflix, Sony games, Sony Music and Sony Pictures on their platform that to don't have them. Apple will make an exception, or Netflix will switch to a browser based option. But for sure they won't be stupid enough to block it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Can't find a PS5?

Subscribe to the Gaming Tier of Netflix ($20 a month for 1080p streaming, $25 for 4K HDR) and play PS5 exclusives on your TV!

AGRacing

Gold Member
I haven't read the whole thread... but has anyone mentioned the possibility of a PS5 shortage because Netflix has a million of them tied up in their new cloud service? ;)

Top Bottom