• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sharopolis: The Game Boy Advance Is Insanely Powerful Compared to the SNES

Rykan

Pretty much every single SNES conversion is worse on GBA, so I seriously doubt the statement that the GBA "Smashes" the SNES.

Not in terms of games library though, GBA has an incredible lineup of games that, as far as I'm concerned, can match the SNES easily. It's a crime that the GBA hasn't been added to Switch Online yet.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I really wish Nintendo would go back to the incredible amount of high quality output as back in the GBA and DS era, but the Switch has shown them they don’t need to try to make a dime, and management realizes this shitty bad behaviour has minimum effort for maximum profits.

Rykan

I really wish Nintendo would go back to the incredible amount of high quality output as back in the GBA and DS era, but the Switch has shown them they don’t need to try to make a dime, and management realizes this shitty bad behaviour has minimum effort for maximum profits.
What are you talking about? Nintendo has been producing hit after hit on Switch. The GBA didn't even have it's own unique Mario game. The GBA had the minish cap. Switch has BOTW. It's beyond compare.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The soundchips alone makes any argument of this moot. Also, while the colors of GBA are more vibrant than the SNES, the latter is more versatile in how the games can look. Both are top 10 ever consoles, though.

The sound chip did hold things back, but you are also comparing a system without any chip in the cart to games like Yoshi’s Island which did rely on additional chips.

HW wise, sound chip aside, the GBA was a dream Genesis strengths + SNES visual strengths (with some of the capabilities enabled by the FX chips in a mix of HW and SW).

nkarafo

Pretty much every single SNES conversion is worse on GBA, so I seriously doubt the statement that the GBA "Smashes" the SNES.

The processing power of the GBA is a lot higher. It has a lot of 3D games that the SNES would never be able to come close, even when using a FX2 chip. GBA's 3D capabilities are even better than the SVP chip in the Genesis Virtua Racing. I'd say it's only a bit behind the 32X. Just do a comparison of DOOM GBA vs DOOM SNES.

The problem with the GBA though is the screen. The original GBA and even the later one with the light had terrible screens. In order to make the games more visible, they had to completely mangle the colors. The lower resolution also doesn't help when you do ports of 2D games from big TV consoles. And the sound hardware isn't as good either.

Using Donkey Kong Country as an example, it would be impossible to be as good on the GBA because the pre-rendered assets were made for the SNES resolution in mind (porting pre-rendered graphics on lower resolutions always makes them worse and because they are pre-rendered it's harder to modify them VS pixel art), and the lush but also dark/natural colors had no chance being ported on the GBA screen, where only bright, saturated colors make sense.

Basically, the GBA was a fine hardware for original games but a terrible one for console ports.

Dream-Knife

Banned
While it was technically more powerful, the resolution hit was pretty bad.
Using Donkey Kong Country as an example, it would be impossible to be as good on the GBA because the pre-rendered assets were made for the SNES resolution in mind (porting pre-rendered graphics on lower resolutions always makes them worse and because they are pre-rendered it's harder to modify them VS pixel art), and the lush but also dark/natural colors had no chance being ported on the GBA screen, where only bright, saturated colors make sense.
I don't know man, the characters in Donkey Kong Land on GB looked quite good.

Duchess

I remember the lack of a backlight was an instant deal breaker for me.
20010613-33sA9J_a.jpg

skit_data

Found my old GBA the other day when going through my storage. It still looks absolutely pristine, probably because I kept it in a proper case since day 1.
It’s a fine piece of hardware but starting up Metroid Fusion only to realize I had totally forgot how hard it was to find a good lightsource without having reflections all over the screen.

radewagon

Glad he showed off the OpenLara port. As someone who grew up playing a gba, seeing Tomb Raider run on original hardware is simply mind-blowing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Game boy handhelds were nicely done the “ds” got Nintendo out of the game boy cycle.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What are you talking about? Nintendo has been producing hit after hit on Switch. The GBA didn't even have it's own unique Mario game. The GBA had the minish cap. Switch has BOTW. It's beyond compare.
Exactly. What is this “incredible amount of quality output” for the GBA? The hardware itself made it very hard to make games that didn’t have to compromise one way or the other, making almost every game basically gimped, and the system’s library lacks a true identity because of this.

Nintendo basically made NES/SNES ports - the system launched with goddamn SMB2, a 1988 game - plus some iterations of some of their IPs like F-Zero and Zelda, all of which would have been better with a couple more buttons, not to mention a better screen and a dedicated music chip. Then you had some quality games like Golden Sun, which would have been worthy of a home system just a few years earlier, but were severely kept back by the hardware, way too ambitious for it.

The best games on the GBA are those that acknowledge what the system truly is and play to its strengths, while skirting around its limitations. Kuru Kuru Kururin and Wario Ware were such games. But most of the library feels like devs wanted to make PlayStation games on a NES. So many games on the GBA feel like forced demakes.

cireza

GBA is amazing on the Wii U Gamepad
This a million times. It is not too late to buy a few of these.

The GBA had the minish cap. Switch has BOTW. It's beyond compare.
Yeah. Minish Cap was actually very fun.

Exactly. What is this “incredible amount of quality output” for the GBA? The hardware itself made it very hard to make games that didn’t have to compromise one way or the other, making almost every game basically gimped, and the system’s library lacks a true identity because of this.

Nintendo basically made NES/SNES ports - the system launched with goddamn SMB2, a 1988 game - plus some iterations of some of their IPs like F-Zero and Zelda, all of which would have been better with a couple more buttons, not to mention a better screen and a dedicated music chip. Then you had some quality games like Golden Sun, which would have been worthy of a home system just a few years earlier, but were severely kept back by the hardware, way too ambitious for it.
I find that this is largely exaggerated. GBA does have its own identity and a ton of games made specifically for it, either by Nintendo or third parties. I don't find that having more buttons would have changed anything. This was a handheld console, and Metroid Fusion is actually simpler to play than Super Metroid. Especially with this useless Run button gone.

The SNES ports were actually very well made, and included some new features. Sure the console did not have an exclusive Mario game, but the ports are all very good, and Nintendo made many other new games, that were perfectly optimized for the console : Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Minish Cap, Kirby games, Pokemon games etc...

Then you have a ton of third parties that are fantastic (Racing Gears, Riviera, Yggdra, Hajime no Ippo, Sonic Advance, Final Fantasy Tactics, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania games, Dragon Ball Supersonic, Megaman Zero games, Sword of Mana etc...), and also a lot of shitty games but that's really the standard situation for any console that had a bit of success.

Sound chip (or its absence, again another utterly stupid hardware decision from Nintendo, to keep on the legacy of always cutting costs in the dumbest way possible) is definitely the big weakness of the console, and the fact that it was not backlit had developers wonder how contrast had to be managed in their games. So you do get a difference between early and late titles. But most of them are fine, and emulators mitigate this. On the Wii U Gamepad for example, it looks very good.

Overall I find that this is a very good console and it does have a strong identity, and this begins with this gorgeous low resolution of 240x160. I love low resolution handhelds and pixel-art :) It was also compatible with the entirety of the GBA library, that was pretty cool.

Last edited:

nush

I find that this is largely exaggerated. GBA does have its own identity and a ton of games made specifically for it, either by Nintendo or third parties.

Same when people say the Neo Geo only had vs fighting games on it. I had a big game collection for GBA and I don't think I had any SNES ports and definitely no NES ports, wasnt paying to double dip on games I already owned and completed when there was loads of original titles to buy.

Hard to believe it was only mainstream for 3 years. I bought about 50 games, the og console, 3 variations of sp and the micro. It was great fun. Technology just moved on and I think we saw most of what it had to offer by then.

It should really have been released a few years earlier. The DS was an obvious reaction to psp.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
I’m some areas but not really over all.
More colors, background layers,sprites, more special effects way more processing speed vs sound and resolution
Gba basically a half gen jump over the snes
One has a decent port of doom 2, the other has trash port of doom that required a substantial on cart

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
GBA does have its own identity and a ton of games made specifically for it, either by Nintendo or third parties. I don't find that having more buttons would have changed anything. This was a handheld console, and Metroid Fusion is actually simpler to play than Super Metroid. Especially with this useless Run button gone.

The SNES ports were actually very well made, and included some new features. Sure the console did not have an exclusive Mario game, but the ports are all very good, and Nintendo made many other new games, that were perfectly optimized for the console : Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Minish Cap, Kirby games, Pokemon games etc...

Then you have a ton of third parties that are fantastic (Racing Gears, Riviera, Yggdra, Hajime no Ippo, Sonic Advance, Final Fantasy Tactics, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania games, Dragon Ball Supersonic, Megaman Zero games, Sword of Mana etc...), and also a lot of shitty games but that's really the standard situation for any console that had a bit of success.
More buttons would have definitely changed things. For one thing, they'd have made those SNES ports a better proposition. More buttons is why you could play Street Fighter II on the SNES without having to buy additional controllers, so Nintendo should understand the importance of buttons better than anyone. (Then again, given their history, it appears that they somehow don't).
More buttons allow for more control and more options. In 2001, this shouldn't even have been a question, especially when the machine didn't rely on special gimmicks like the Wii would a few years later.

Speaking about SNES ports, the new features were mostly pretty subpar, almost always of the collectathon type, and a poor makeup for all that was lost (resolution, sound quality, controls). Adding voice samples that play every time a character jumps or throws something wasn't a very good idea too, not in games where all your character does is jumping and throwing stuff.

Those third party games you quoted just confirm what I wrote here. It's mostly stuff the people who actually played remember fondly, but the majority of those games were largely unknown and still are. Pokémon and the Mario Advance games made the biggest US numbers for the GBA, and those numbers weren't even that big. I'd say your 2001 hardware has a big identity problem if its best-selling game is a port of a 1990 game with lower res, worse controls, and bad audio. Good thing Nintendo didn't make the same mistake twice and that highly questionable SM64 port for the DS wasn't followed by more N64 ports, but by games actually tailored to the hardware.

Look, I'm not saying the GBA was a failure (number say otherwise, after all), but it's one piece of hardware I was never satisfied with, and I think its games are better played on pretty much everything else. Every iteration of the GBA lacked something, too, so we never got a definitive version of the machine. The original had no backlight, the SP dropped the headphone jack and the original model's screen was dim and blurry, while the Mini was barely playable, if you could even see what was going on on that screen. It's like Nintendo couldn't make up their mind on the hardware, imagine how clear their ideas could be about what software they wanted to make for it.

cireza

I'm not saying the GBA was a failure
You could, I personally don't really care about this. I find that discussing success/failure of 20 years consoles is pointless, my eyes are turned towards the library.

The original had no backlight, the SP dropped the headphone jack and the original model's screen was dim and blurry, while the Mini was barely playable, if you could even see what was going on on that screen.
Playing on original hardware is the last thing you want to do with the GBA. It aged super poorly, all versions.

Overall I find that you depict a very negative picture of the library, a bit unfair, but I guess we all have different experience.

GymWolf

But snes games looked 10x times better to say the least.

So was the problem the screen?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gameboy Color ~ about NES power
Gameboy Advance ~ Genesis
DS ~ PS1
PSP ~ Dreamcast
3DS ~ PS2
Vita ~ OG Xbox

My rough estimates after rigorous scientific methodology and DBZ power level case studies.

Top Bottom