• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shatner: Gene Roddenberry would “be turning in his grave at some of this stuff.” and "Fuck Star Wars"

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

When asked by a fan if there were any new Star Trek series he thought rivaled his own, Shatner replied, “none of them.”

“I got to know [creator] Gene Roddenberry in three years fairly well,” said Shatner, “he’d be turning in his grave at some of this stuff.”

It doesn't look the Shat man like Nu Trek either. It's not stated what Nu Trek he's referring to but he obviously doesn't like some of it. Maybe he's referring to the animated stuff?

Doom85

He got to know Roddenberry well, and yet he directed Star Trek 5?

Star Trek What GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
Something something studio interference with his vision blah blah. IDK. ManaByte ManaByte would probably know better what happened with that turd. I've heard a lot of defense for it over the years but I don't buy it.

Nah it was mostly Shatner and the script's fault. He planned this giant action scene with a rock monster (which is the alien who was pretending to be god) but it would've skyrocketed the budget and Paramount told him NO:
R.ebcfeed79c9798331b2bb9d0cb8d59d5

The whole rock monster sequence in Galaxy Quest was a reference to that.

They basically tossed him Star Trek V after he cried about Nimoy being allowed to direct III and IV.

The movie nails the character moments and the camp fire scenes are the best of the movies, but it was doomed from the start from both the script and Shatner. I've seen people suggest the whole thing could've been salvaged if it was really Gary Mitchell they found at the center of the galaxy.

Last edited:

Doom85

He's had a bad relationship with Paramount/CBS ever since they let Nimoy be in Star Trek 2009 and not him.

Were he and Nimoy still on good terms? I know there’s conflicting reports on the ups and downs of their friendship throughout the decades but if they were at odds in 2009 it’s possible Paramount thought it would be wise to only call one of them.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hot take while we're here talking about og Trek movies. The Undiscovered Country is the best one. Followed by The Voyage Home THEN Wrath of Khan. I do enjoy the rest of them to one degree or another. I need to get that 4k set when it comes out... In September I think?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Were he and Nimoy still on good terms? I know there’s conflicting reports on the ups and downs of their friendship throughout the decades but if they were at odds in 2009 it’s possible Paramount thought it would be wise to only call one of them.

Nah Nimoy worked with the story. Including Shatner didn't fit so JJ cut the scene for him out of the script. When Nimoy told Shatner he wasn't in the script he went ballistic and declared war on Paramount ever since.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nah Nimoy worked with the story. Including Shatner didn't fit so JJ cut the scene for him out of the script. When Nimoy told Shatner he wasn't in the script he went ballistic and declared war on Paramount ever since.
Spock is a better character imo. He's the smartest guy on any ship and he's got a huge lifespan. The Spock character will always be Trek to me before Kirk.

Smiggs

Any person that hates on Star Wars is A-OK in my book.

Not that any rendition of Star Trek is any better, mind you. But that's another thing entirely...

I've got my flamesuit on. Have at it, people.

bender

What time is it?
Shatner so full of himself as always. Also, in this case, not completely wrong. TNG and DS9 are better shows.

In this case, "new" is a little vague. I wouldn't consider DS9 or TNG new.

Any person that hates on Star Wars is A-OK in my book.

Not that any rendition of Star Trek is any better, mind you. But that's another thing entirely...

I've got my flamesuit on. Have at it, people.

I'm not a huge Trek fan beyond killing hours of my childhood watching TNG reruns, but it easily outclasses Star Wars.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Hot take while we're here talking about og Trek movies. The Undiscovered Country is the best one. Followed by The Voyage Home THEN Wrath of Khan. I do enjoy the rest of them to one degree or another. I need to get that 4k set when it comes out... In September I think?
Its Kahn as number 1 then the voyage home. undiscovered country is OK......But I would like to take your pain.

QSD

Its Kahn as number 1 then the voyage home. undiscovered country is OK......But I would like to take your pain.
I watched all the OG movies during a bunch of night shifts a couple of years ago. Khan and VI made the best impression. Voyage Home is fun but it's dated. VI is actually a serious and interesting story that still has real world parallels.

Kilau

Gold Member
Never understood the fighting between Star Trek and Star Wars fans. I enjoyed both franchises when they existed.

Kev Kev

those three movies with chris pine are what turned me into a star trek fan.

i still havent seen all the old stuff, but i never would have watched any of that if it wasnt for those three flicks. i thought they were really good and i wish they would have kept going with that series and used those actors to create spin offs and more movies.

i havent seen any new star trek since those three movies tho, so i cant comment on that. old star trek is just a little dated to me however. i thought the chris pine movies did a great job modernizing everything, while being new and fresh. its kind of hard to go back to the old stuff after that.

i still contend that star trek: the motion picture is one of the best sci fi movies of all time.i love the atmosphere of that movie. i could honestly watch it back to back

Last edited:

Wulfer

The list is correct however nothing tops Wrath... Khan was the ultimate villain for the OG movies and Series.

Nah it was mostly Shatner and the script's fault. He planned this giant action scene with a rock monster (which is the alien who was pretending to be god) but it would've skyrocketed the budget and Paramount told him NO:
R.ebcfeed79c9798331b2bb9d0cb8d59d5

The whole rock monster sequence in Galaxy Quest was a reference to that.

They basically tossed him Star Trek V after he cried about Nimoy being allowed to direct III and IV.

The movie nails the character moments and the camp fire scenes are the best of the movies, butbo it was doomed from the start from both thel script and Shatner. I've seen people suggest the whole thing could've been salvaged if it was really Gary Mitchell they found at the cente of the galaxy.

It's still so much better than most next gen movies. Not to mention nu trek.

And I do love the campfire scenes!

Ownage

Watching V now. It's not good.

I remember IV not being good when it first came out, but I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I guess we grow up.

wondermega

dam he's 91 years old
How insane is it that he still goes to these things and gets up there on stage and tears it up for awhile? So he's crazy and has an attitude, the dude was on the show when it was new in the 1960s. He's still willing to bitch about the drama (like anyone actually cares - I know some people do, but still). More power to him..

Soltype

Never understood the fighting between Star Trek and Star Wars fans. I enjoyed both franchises when they existed.
Yeah it's weird, they feel so different from each other.If anything both sides should be consoling each other after what happened to each franchise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Strange New World's is actually good, the rest?
Yeah Roddenberry would be turning in his grave.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved the reboot. Watched it 4 times in the theaters. Have only done that with Inception since.

Cant stand Into the Darkness. It has some great setpieces, but I hate how short it feels, how nothing happens and how they basically wasted Khan.

The first move was perfect. Yes, it was very star wars like but we hadnt seen a good Star Wars for 25 years in 2009 and some might argue we havent seen one since. I loved the new cast. I loved the energy JJ brought to the franchise. I loved the time travel stuff. I loved how they didnt just beat the bad guy with guns, they outplayed him. It had a great first act, an even better second act, and an exhilarating finale. There is no second act in Into Darkness. They go to Romulus to find khan but they find him immediately and then are attacked by the final boss immediately after that. First and third acts are merged together.

It's a shame because I loved Khan's intro. Cumberbatch's casting was very inspired, and he did a great job with what little the script gave him. The worst part about the movie is when they finally go to Romulus, have an opportunity to talk to them and they are attacked right away. That is not Star Trek. Thats not even Star Wars. Thats a generic action movie where the writer couldnt come up with the most basic lines of dialogue for an entire species of people. It's just lazy. Having Khan defeated in a fucking fist with Spock is probably lazier.

Third one was meh. Way too slow, and simply boring.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Are you guys forgetting Insurrection? That was the worst Trek movie. That thing was so cheap and shit. Felt like a long episode. A bad one.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are you guys forgetting Insurrection? That was the worst Trek movie. That thing was so cheap and shit. Felt like a long episode. A bad one.

Insurrection was fine for a Season 6 two-parter. It's still better than Into Darkness and Nemesis.

I loved the reboot. Watched it 4 times in the theaters. Have only done that with Inception since.

Cant stand Into the Darkness. It has some great setpieces, but I hate how short it feels, how nothing happens and how they basically wasted Khan.

The first move was perfect. Yes, it was very star wars like but we hadnt seen a good Star Wars for 25 years in 2009 and some might argue we havent seen one since. I loved the new cast. I loved the energy JJ brought to the franchise. I loved the time travel stuff. I loved how they didnt just beat the bad guy with guns, they outplayed him. It had a great first act, an even better second act, and an exhilarating finale. There is no second act in Into Darkness. They go to Romulus to find khan but they find him immediately and then are attacked by the final boss immediately after that. First and third acts are merged together.

It's a shame because I loved Khan's intro. Cumberbatch's casting was very inspired, and he did a great job with what little the script gave him. The worst part about the movie is when they finally go to Romulus, have an opportunity to talk to them and they are attacked right away. That is not Star Trek. Thats not even Star Wars. Thats a generic action movie where the writer couldnt come up with the most basic lines of dialogue for an entire species of people. It's just lazy. Having Khan defeated in a fucking fist with Spock is probably lazier.

Third one was meh. Way too slow, and simply boring.

Into Darkness was the dumbest Star Trek script ever written in the history of the universe.

The movie is set in 2259, Khan says he was made 300 years ago. Meaning a super human super soldier was created and sent into space in 1959, a decade before the moon landing.

Khan uses a personal teleporter to transport himself from Earth to Qo'Nos (spelled Kronos in the movie because they were idiots). If he had that technology, what would that god need a starship?

The evil giant killer Federation ship opens fire on the Enterprise blasting huge holes in the ship while at warp. At warp the ship would lose all structural integrity if that happened and would vaporize.

McCoy uses Khan's super blood on a dead Tribble to bring it back to life. McCoy has a whole crew of frozen super humans sitting right behind him, but he tells Spock he needs to go have a fist fight with Khan to get more super blood to revive Kirk.

That's of course ignoring the sheer stupidity and hubris of them re-doing the whole Wrath of Khan ending. This crew has been together for like a week, and hasn't even begun their five year mission yet. Wrath of Khan worked because the TOS crew were already a family having been together about fifteen years at that point.

Into Darkness is a stupid movie and you're dumber for watching it.

Top Bottom