• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

ManaByte

Gold Member
scale

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law follows Jennifer Walters as she navigates the complicated life of a single, 30-something attorney who also happens to be a green 6-foot-7-inch superpowered hulk.

9 episodes, weekly on Disney+

Little Mac

Gold Member
Just finished the first episode. It was fun. Not all the comedy landed but I appreciate the pacing of the episode. It doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't waste your time. 7.75/10. There's a post credit scene revealing something very important :messenger_winking:

Catphish

Not really a hulk, tho, is she? Nowhere near the size of Banner. But I guess Green-Chick-Who-Works-Out-A-Lot: Attorney At Law doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

ManaByte

Gold Member
How accurate to the comics is the origin story? I'm unsure how to feel about the show after this one episode.

In the comics she was injured and needed a blood transfusion and Bruce was the only one there with her blood type. That wouldn't work in the MCU because literally everyone on the planet knows that Banner is the Hulk and no doctor would do that, so they modified it in a way that made sense.

RAÏSanÏa

I don't have a great explanation for it.

That's a delivery of humour that's more mature. Implied and not walked in. If others miss it it's not an issue. Even if on some level they know there is some inside joke there the She-Hulk helps portray that processing on screen and leads to some conclusions.

Brava.

sol_bad

There is the typical woman having to say she can do everything a man can and complaining about people explaining stuff to her. That has become a trope now.

ManaByte ManaByte dont go on YouTube.

My wife related to that line a lot actually. She always has men at her warehouse job trying to explain things to her that she already knows.

She said "Yeah fuck those men", which made me laugh.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
From other thread:

Not bad at all. All feels pretty inconsequential, but entertaining, with some good laughs. She’s a spot on bit of casting.

Only real issue is that they’re dropping the ball on She Hulk’s character a bit with her just breezing through her transformation with ease. They’d better be introducing some flaws in the next couple of episodes, or that good old Mary Sue argument will come back out again.

sol_bad

I like how it explained both Banner being human again AND his healed arm in like the first five minutes, shutting down endless theory YouTube videos right there.

Yeah, the show straight up pointed out the device on his wrist which I was very curious about after the Shang Chi credits scene.

xandaca

Not great, Bob. None of the comedy landed for me, with the main running gag ("Was Captain America a virgin?") just being a punchline with no build-up at all: it might have been funnier had Bruce been telling Jennifer about Steve Rogers throughout their time together to teach her things and her takeaway was that he must have been a virgin. That the entire joke is the idea that it's supposedly funny that Captain America might not have had sex shows how little the writers understand humour beyond quips (which are about wit and timing, of which the Captain America schtick had none). Bruce constantly doing Superhero Sad Face about Tony Stark was clumped in with no finesse or purpose beyond 'Remember how Tony Stark died in Infinity War? Marvel universe, everyone!' The female empowerment stuff was as clichéd as it comes, not showing empowerment through Jennifer actively achieving anything - in fact, she didn't even want to be She-Hulk - but by her reactions to the generically odious men around her. While a woman dealing with men being condescending or dismissive of women can work in and of itself, the stuff here is the most by-the-numbers, one-dimensional material possible: men telling her to smile, trying to take credit for her work, explaining things to her, being pushy and disrespectful outside a bar, etc. Exactly the same stuff, almost to the letter, from Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman 1984. Even if we momentarily take it for granted that these are every woman's shared experiences, as the show seems to posit, it's still become tiresome cliché in storytelling terms and is often relayed in didactic generalities (fear and rage are every woman's baseline emotions, apparently).

As for the story itself, the 'hang out with Bruce' conceit might have felt more substantial had there been any sense of progression, instead of Jennifer just repeatedly showing Bruce that she didn't need to be there and thus communicating to the audience that it was a waste of time, or even were the moment-to-moment material any better than undercooked jokes (when they were discernable as jokes) or weightless action in cartoony CGI. The only thing that mattered in the flashback was that Jennifer got infected with Bruce's blood, and perhaps his assertion that his door is always open, assuming he's coming back. In other words, around 90% of the episode could have been cut and little-to-no difference made to the weirdly abrupt ending: Jameela Jamil bursts into a courtroom and needs thumping! Why? Well she IS Jameela Jamil, but within the episode there was no reason given beyond her being there for the sake of giving Jennifer a badly contrived reason to reveal her Hulk-self.

Long story short: more badly written Marvel time-wasting with bad CGI, worse clichés and 'jokes' barely recognisable as such.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think

the message the Saakarian ship was trying to bring is that Hulk has a child there... Don't know WHO it was he had a kid with... My first thought was Valkryie but I dunno...

That's exactly what it's setting up. It's probably one of the many unannounced Phase 6 movies in 2025. The distribution rights will have reverted to Marvel by then, so they can start setting it up now.

Or they could do it as a TV show and not have to wait, but that's a movie-sized event.

Last edited:

DJ12

They seemed to make smart hulk actual smart and not a dumbass goofball like in endgame too I thought.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Enjoy people liking the show while it lasts, I just glanced at YouTube and...
no way wtf GIF

People are getting super serious about it on Twitter over mental health because of that pretty mundane conversation about controlling anger (because Bruce was abused and was in such a bad place once he attempted suicide numerous times). I'm reading the the tweets thinking, cuz, it's a non-stop Marvel comedic fantasy that ends with a joke about Captain America not being a virgin and having a great ass. Like why in the hell are people taking this so seriously?

ManaByte

Gold Member
People are getting super serious about it on Twitter over mental health because of that pretty mundane conversation about controlling anger (because Bruce was abused and was in such a bad place once he attempted suicide numerous times). I'm reading the the tweets thinking, cuz, it's a non-stop Marvel comedic fantasy that ends with a joke about Captain America not being a virgin and having a great ass. Like why in the hell are people taking this so seriously?

Probably the same people who were screaming about Thor "deadnaming" Heimdall's son who wanted to be called Axl instead of Astrid.

RAÏSanÏa

What a peculiar thing to complain about. If it goes strongly against the character than maybe there is a complaint about the show. Fiction, in part, exists to introduce issues in a way where they can be discussed. It doesn't seem like they understand that fiction doesn't have to create ideal situations to teach ideas, the faults of characters can do that too with the work being done by the viewer.

Maybe they expect the show to be more simplistic. That's not unexpected, a lot of shows and interpretations are that shallow and expect everything plainly laid out and explained with no ambiguity or character flaws.

Jaybe

Reviewers seemed to indicate episode 1 was the best of the 4 they were given to review. Smart to get people hooked. My expectations are tempered though from this initial first episode praise. I’ll see how you all like it by the end of these 9 episodes and the then binge if the quality holds.

ShadowNate

First episode, so far so good. Kind of meh ending, I expect there's probably more to that scene (not the post credits one :D ) that will be followed up in the next episodes.

Maslany did very well and acts the hell out of the role. Very happy about this.

The two people who are her work-friends(?) can burn in a fire though. Hopefully, they won't be so one-dimensional and annoying after a few more episodes, and the episode did focus more on Banner and Jennifer than anything else.

Tams

Just finished the first episode. It was fun. Not all the comedy landed but I appreciate the pacing of the episode. It doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't waste your time. 7.75/10. There's a post credit scene revealing something very important :messenger_winking:
Post credit scenes on a streaming service.

What is this world coming to?!

MaestroMike

Gold Member
didn't see this thread posted in the other one

Enjoyed the first episode I guess she is going to do her own thing in the next episodes, but I hope professor (why they call him smart hulk??) hulk still shows up in later episodes. Excited for the next episode. Would've watched the next few if they released all the episodes at once.

I liked the episode, but the that last scene was weird, some random villain showing up and getting knocked out. Made me think she was dreaming. Also for me it seemed Hulk was the main character in this movie. Sadly he looks like a giant pussy now so I'm afraid what that will mean for future movies. They already made me rage with not having him rage fight in the last avengers movie and that bs with his burned arm.

And of course Marvel can't resist adding some bs in every show. 'men tell me what to do' , 'men catcall me', 'men harass me' only to have her objectify captain America in the after credits scene. The irony. Tough I'm surprised they left out the 'white' in front of those lines.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Thought it was fine - nothing groundbreaking, but worth the watch. I'll keep it in my rotation for now.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So far so good despite my doubts. Not as good as Loki or WandaVision, but another solid entry.

MCU continues to fuck and fuck hard I guess.

Bruce Banner's struggle is invalidated cause muh women suffer more cause of catcalling. Yeah I can definitely tell this was written by Wahmen. I wouldn't even mind the concept, but everything is taken away from Banner in the most shittiest way ever, I'm not talking about going rage hulk or whatever. The basic origin story for She-Hulk was as far as I recall is that she's suffering from cancer, does not have much to live so she asks Bruce to try and help her.
Also is Mark Ruffalo just shouting his lines ?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not really a hulk, tho, is she? Nowhere near the size of Banner. But I guess Green-Chick-Who-Works-Out-A-Lot: Attorney At Law doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
She was never anywhere near the size of Bruce in the comics unless she completely lost all control of herself similar to how Hulk got way bigger when Bruce lost all control.

For example this is her in the comics when she loses her shit compared to her normal form.

Normal form

shehulk001cov_bartel.jpg

No control at all and completely "Hulked" out

1464713548132.jpg

The more control she loses the more "Hulk" she becomes. Think of her as a reverse of the regular Professor Hulk that Bruce eventually mastered. She starts off at the most subdued and under control mode. She just goes all downhill from there the more she loses control.

So this depiction is 100% loyal to the common comic representation of her. It's not some theme that Disney pulled out of their ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom