• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

xandaca

I'm still waiting to be shown what the narrative point of Jen being a hulk is. As far as I've seen, outside the origin stuff in the first episode, none of the stories have anything to do with her being a hulk. Were the series about powerless Jen setting up a superhero division of a law firm, almost nothing meaningful would have to change to tell the same stories: her ability to represent Blonsky wouldn't change, nor her ability to represent Wong; if her superhero legal division had any sort of branding (or nickname given to her by the media because of her job), Titania would still be able to steal it and Jen's dates could still have dated her for her notoriety; she obviously could still have attended the wedding, and her fight with Titania would have been more impactful because she'd be at a disadvantage (demonstrating the risk of superhero defence). All the hulk stuff has been either superfluous or entirely aesthetic, and in some respects the series would actually be stronger without it in terms of Jen being more at risk. She could still be Banner's cousin, but get the idea of superhero defence after having to defend him from some spurious/malicious charge, and go from there.

sol_bad

I'm still waiting to be shown what the narrative point of Jen being a hulk is. As far as I've seen, outside the origin stuff in the first episode, none of the stories have anything to do with her being a hulk. Were the series about powerless Jen setting up a superhero division of a law firm, almost nothing meaningful would have to change to tell the same stories: her ability to represent Blonsky wouldn't change, nor her ability to represent Wong; if her superhero legal division had any sort of branding (or nickname given to her by the media because of her job), Titania would still be able to steal it and Jen's dates could still have dated her for her notoriety; she obviously could still have attended the wedding, and her fight with Titania would have been more impactful because she'd be at a disadvantage (demonstrating the risk of superhero defence). All the hulk stuff has been either superfluous or entirely aesthetic, and in some respects the series would actually be stronger without it in terms of Jen being more at risk. She could still be Banner's cousin, but get the idea of superhero defence after having to defend him from some spurious/malicious charge, and go from there.

But then it wouldn't be She-Hulk..........

wondermega

I agree and also think The Leader is trying to get Jen's blood. But even if we don't find any of that stuff out I don't care, I'm having un episode to episode, it's making me laugh.
Show is giving me blue balls in regards to the action though.
Forgive me if I am retreading familiar territory, but I feel like they looked at the idea for this show and said "CON: It will be REALLY EXPENSIVE to have a fully-CG character on screen this much, and have it look convincing enough to not be continuously distracting. PRO: We will have the character rarely ever do anything more strenuous than simply walking around, and sitting behind a desk 90% of the time - and with that, mostly it will just be her head&face, hair, and hands to really worry about selling. The rest can just be whatever dumb filler the writers come up with."

Works on paper, and I guess they've proven a point. There are "enough" decent jokes and such that I have stuck with it (and like anyone else here I am just waiting for some action payoff, the Wrecking Crew was actually a pretty good tease) but yeah, I am getting to my limit with patience. Was Ms. Marvel this lean on action?

nush

If there was ever an episode that shows the wirters bitterness for not being one of the popular girls when they were growing up, then this was it. Also men are assholes still. I'm not even surprised they let the mask slip at this point.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
One thing (among many) that I like about this show is how it opens up "the normal world" and that there's OTHER powered people in it besides the Avengers, X-Men and FF... And whoever their enemies are. Titania and Mr. Immortal are good examples of how powered people are popping up everywhere and the public's reaction to them!

bootaski

I am in love with this show. Cameos by David Pasquesi from Strangers With Candy and Jameela Jamil from The Good Place were pleasant suprises. Tatiana Maslany is new to me, but I think she is doing a great job. And as an asian-american man, it's always great to see us seriously portrayed as romantic interests in american media, in the character of Josh (even though some people are saying he's going to be revealed as a villain in future episodes :messenger_grinning_sweat:).

RAÏSanÏa

I agree and also think The Leader is trying to get Jen's blood. But even if we don't find any of that stuff out I don't care, I'm having un episode to episode, it's making me laugh.
Show is giving me blue balls in regards to the action though.
The lack of action may connected to Jen's character development. She's been wanting to live as she's accustomed to but her escalating experiences appear to be leading toward a fuller realization that she doesn't have a choice.

PfbXRyj.gif

Urban

the circle and the dialogues were pretty funny ngl
but it was pretty obvious that the first decent and intelligent guy in this series has to be a villian lol.

So 2 episodes left?

ManaByte

Gold Member
While the majority of the show has been John Byrne’s She Hulk, this episode is more like the recent runs.

sol_bad

Fun episode, couldn't stop laughing at Porcupine. I always imagined that if he appeared in an MCU project it would be in a comedic way like this.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have had no idea who any of these C-list characters have been these past three episodes, but I am digging how unseriously they're being used.

Also:

Edit: Oh yea, I felt like this was the weakest episode yet though. I like Tim Roth a lot, but the way he's written and directed here just doesn't quite work. He's done way better comedy than this. And just overall I didn't find it as funny as previous episodes

Last edited:
This last episode was actually enjoyable and got a couple of laughs out of me. I still think the show overall is just okay. It's not bad, but it's not great either. C grade if you will. Let's hope they finish strong though because other Marvel shows have had trouble sticking the landing.

Man-Bull: MUTANT
El Aguila: MUTANT

Not gonna pretend I read any comics with Man-Bull (I haven't), but according to Marvel wiki he's not a mutant. He was scientifically enhanced. IIRC in the show after he introduces himself to Jen he says, "weird lab experiment don't ask" or something like that. El Aguilla is a mutant though. Glad we are getting more and more of them.

I have had no idea who any of these C-list characters have been these past three episodes, but I am digging how unseriously they're being used.

Also:

Edit: Oh yea, I felt like this was the weakest episode yet though. I like Tim Roth a lot, but the way he's written and directed here just doesn't quite work. He's done way better comedy than this. And just overall I didn't find it as funny as previous episodes

Nerdrotic and Ryan Kinnel are probably the two biggest fans of this show and Marvel in general since that's probably half of the content they post. Dudes can't stop talking about it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nerdrotic and Ryan Kinnel are probably the two biggest fans of this show and Marvel in general since that's probably half of the content they post. Dudes can't stop talking about it.
Shitting on the popular thing gets you money on YouTube and clout elsewhere. If Marvel ever stops being popular, they'll just switch to shitting on whatever else is popular at the time, which will then influence the discord across all of social media. It's the RLM effect. RLM hit it big with their Phantom Menace "review", and that spawned an entire industry of YouTube grifters who many now worship and will defend to the death, regardless of how stupid their arguments and 25-minute video essays are.

Locutus

I am in love with this show. Cameos by David Pasquesi from Strangers With Candy and Jameela Jamil from The Good Place were pleasant suprises. Tatiana Maslany is new to me, but I think she is doing a great job. And as an asian-american man, it's always great to see us seriously portrayed as romantic interests in american media, in the character of Josh (even though some people are saying he's going to be revealed as a villain in future episodes :messenger_grinning_sweat:).
I’m only three episodes in, but I adore this show. I feel like I see a ton of hate for it, so I keep waiting for it to suck. Is the hate just incels bitching because it’s a show about a woman?

MastaKiiLA

This show has gotten better as the season has progressed IMO. All the non=fighting stuff is superb. Blonsky has been my favorite side character thus far. This week's episode was awesome, with Blonsky's gang of weirdos. There are so many character from this show that I want to see appear in other MCU films now, just for the fun of it.

sol_bad

Shitting on the popular thing gets you money on YouTube and clout elsewhere. If Marvel ever stops being popular, they'll just switch to shitting on whatever else is popular at the time, which will then influence the discord across all of social media. It's the RLM effect. RLM hit it big with their Phantom Menace "review", and that spawned an entire industry of YouTube grifters who many now worship and will defend to the death, regardless of how stupid their arguments and 25-minute video essays are.

Now people are starting to hate RLM because they liked some things that community usually loves shitting on.

Your fanboyism is making you delusional.

HoodWinked

ya I'm marginally entertained by this show as a disposable procedural. the episodes are short, it's the fast food equivalent of a show, it's mostly junk but tastes alright then you throw it in the trash and forget about it.

The criticism are valid but there is way too much energy to care this much when no one is invested into this thing.

plushyp

I’m only three episodes in, but I adore this show. I feel like I see a ton of hate for it, so I keep waiting for it to suck. Is the hate just incels bitching because it’s a show about a woman?
No, there's valid criticism about the questionable CG. TheDreadBaron TheDreadBaron made a great post about this
Fucking great movie.

My wife leans feminist, and she got one look at the promotional material for this show and dismissed it because she thought it looked stupid. Maybe she’d love it if she gave it a chance, but the fact is it turned her off and it is turning a lot of people off, and yet people are acting like there’s no way to come by that opinion honestly. Do you folks really believe all criticism is drummed up from incels who get their marching orders from the quartering? It’s true there’s an industry of negativity on YouTube and I’ve had to stop watching channels that lean into it too much and tell it to stop recommending them, but even though that stuff is an exaggeration it’s rooted in what people are actually feeling or else there would be no audience. Seems like it’s a pretty big cop out for some of you folks to go straight to the incel boogeyman when people don’t like the thing you like. That’s as obnoxious as trying to claim that everyone in this thread that likes the show gets their opinions fed to them by the woke media’s endless propaganda campaign.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Josh was revealed as a villain in the first time you see him.

The show is getting dumber. Maybe I had too high of hopes having been a fan in the comic in the 90s. I’m still going to watch but I’m getting to the point of just skimming episodes now.

Last edited:
Definitely my favorite episode, though I am biased being a Dare Devil fan. I like this more jovial Dare Devil, and when they showed the hallway with the dense blue lighting in the vein similar to the Netflix show I almost clapped.

Also better fight choreography with Daredevil with the Disney + show than the Netflix shows.

The only good thing when it comes to the Netflix shows when it comes to the fight scenes are the one shot takes. Not saying all the other fights are terrible but the ending battle between The Hand and Daredevil was CW tier in fight Choreography at best

I do enjoy both versions of Matt Murdock. I don't mind this less serious version. It feels natural

FireFly

This episode makes it clear Jen still has anger issues, and would have followed on from the "origin story" that was originally going to be in the 8th episode.

Top Bottom