• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 4 Rumour on 4chan

spinfive

Banned
Could be completely untrue but this person claims that they have seen it. I wouldn't ever bet on SEGA ever developing a Shenmue game again.

Here's the link for anyone interested: https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/631888612

Directly from 4chan:
"Shenmue 4 is in development right . Sega is helping Yu Suzuki make the game. Like a Dragon team is not assisting with developing as they are working with the next Like a Dragon game. Shenmue 4 will release for late 2025

In terms of graphics this game looks like a newer and better version of Shenmue 3, and a lot of models are the same. some new models i’ve seen though like Ryō wearing a Gi, and Ryō in a green jacket instead of his brown jacket. Ryō is also wearing his brown jacket jacket so it’s possible you can change clothing.

This game is about 20 hours. It is about Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren going to Shanghai and discovering the power of the Chiyoumen holding over the city’s crime world. We see all 4 of the chiyoumen leaders. Niao Sun being the villain of this game that Ryō must beat. Ryo will not defeat Lan Di in this game. Lan Di is in a lot of scenes with the ChiYouMen and there is story for each member."

i’ve seen is the new gashapon toys in this game. one for Sonic one for Super Monkey Ball.

What happened to the fans who didn't care about graphics and just wanted the story to be told? Unless Shenmue IV got a massive budget and big team working on it.
It shouldn't be made

Brigandier

What happened to the fans who didn't care about graphics and just wanted the story to be told? Unless Shenmue IV got a massive budget and big team working on it.
It shouldn't be made

True but fans never even got a story with S3 and the combat system was absolutely awful, The writing was novice level and the whole game was just tedious and uneventful, and the end sequence at the castle was an insult to fans.

It would be a waste for the team to spend so much effort into using UE just for one game. It would be a miracle if we get Shenmue 4 after Shenmue 3.

SkylineRKR

Shenmue 3 is really weird. Yu and his team gets this off chance to revive the saga, and proceed to create a game with no story, all reveals in 3 were already done in 2. On top of that a terrible gameplay system with absolutely dreadful combat and a completely retarded stamina system.

The last Shenmue was garbage, right? What's the point? Though to be honest, my point of reference for this is the dunkey video; which may have made this game look much worse than it is.

Shenmue 3 is horrible by any metric.

Shenmue 1 and 2 were an aqcuired taste, they were games from the year 2000 essentially, and what it did with NPC routines, day night cycles and all was impressive. But I enjoyed S1 and 2 HD far more than I could imagine. They are very immersive. Especially 2 has good pacing and action/exploration ratio.

KlYIDpG.gif

fermcr

I wounder if people will be crying when they announce Shenmue 4, the same way they were crying when Shenmue 3 was announced... * facepalm *

Last edited:

lyan

It would be a waste for the team to spend so much effort into using UE just for one game. It would be a miracle if we get Shenmue 4 after Shenmue 3.
Like a Dragon:Ishin was remade in UE4 which with 8 being this close I believe the studio took an overseeing role, so on the slim chance this is real I imagine they could do this again in a cost effective way with Suzuki and act as a coordinator.

I thought Shenmue III was at least liked enough by most of the backers no?

It seemed serviceable for telling the story. Edit, I guess the game even failed doing that going by some posts.

Perhaps it was a practice run but probably lacked good support for Yu. He's just one guy, a whole top team created Shenmue 1-2 and for the time it was a high end game with expertise working on it, so even if an acquired taste there was some quality to it, good production etc.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I tried playing 3 the other day getting on steam and holy hell they didn’t update the gameplay at all. It’s such a chore just walk around and tsk to people. If they was more fluid I think it would have been a great game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
All three Shenmue games were bad.

Here’s a clip from “the good one”.

Groundbreaking stuff.

I never played those games but whenever I see clips like this or hear someone talk about mechanics where you have to wait around til morning in the game to continue certain quests, it just sounds so stupid. Why do people hold this in such high regard, lol.

Brigandier

I never played those games but whenever I see clips like this or hear someone talk about mechanics where you have to wait around til morning in the game to continue certain quests, it just sounds so stupid. Why do people hold this in such high regard, lol.

You could skip forward time in S2 and 3, The Xbox version of S2 was a really poor half assed port from the DC with abysmal beyond description English dub.

I'm so glad I experienced S2 on the DC since it released in Europe with Japanese only dub and I liked that much more than I expected.

ShadowNate

I liked Shenmue 3 for the nostalgia feeling and the slow, relaxed gameplay most of the time.

Graphics were nice too, but the story of course was nowhere near Shenmue 2. It felt like an afterthought, and of course there were the retcons as well. Also, didn't it go Epic Store timed exclusive and alienated its own backers. Always a dumb move to screw over your most dedicated and supportive (with funds!) fan base.

If there's a Shenmue 4, I hope they manage to conclude the story and put it to rest forever.

GMCamaro

I remember playing the first on the Dreamcast. It was really cool, but I kinda lost interest in it. My bro beat it and was hyped for the next one which didn’t get a North American Dreamcast release, unfortunately. Looking back, that may have been for the best, seeing how the storyline has slowed to a crawl.

She’s should just release a Dreamcast mini, or finally give us the Dreamcast 2!

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The problem with Shenmue is his director. He doesn't know that graphics, engine, physics... the whole thing changed. Shenmue III was some of the biggest letdowns in the past gen, and the director is by far the reason of it

Dr. Suchong

The last Shenmue was garbage, right? What's the point? Though to be honest, my point of reference for this is the dunkey video; which may have made this game look much worse than it is.

First time I've seen this, thanks for posting, Dunkey is Gold lol

Aenima

Loved all Shenmues, but wish Shenmue 3 had advanced the story more, it kinda went nowhere. Also hope if thers a Shenmue 4 they improve the combat system, as the combat in Shenmue 3 was a step down from the two previous games.

Dont think Sega will ever touch in a Shenmue again even if just helping. They have a good amount of Yakuza related projects in development already.

SkylineRKR

You could timeskip in S2.

In S1 I think you could not, but the game tried to persuade you to train your moves, or play games at the Arcade. Or search your house. The first game was notorious for being a slow burn. But I appreciated it much more with the HD remaster, I took my time with it.

The problem with Shenmue is his director. He doesn't know that graphics, engine, physics... the whole thing changed. Shenmue III was some of the biggest letdowns in the past gen, and the director is by far the reason of it

This is true, Suzuki directed games in a bygone era. And mostly arcade games. Classics mind you, but with Shenmue 3 he was clearly working from a bubble. I can understand if he wanted to make an indie sequel and kept it a 2002 game at heart. But the problem is S3 is worse than its 20 year old prequels. Its as if he had no script. A super weak Ryo needs half the game to fetch money for a shitty QTE move to beat some random shits, this is the guy that beat Dou Niu in HK and grew as a fighter. And then in the second half you do the exact same shit again for a mirror version of the same fucking QTE move.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I can tell it is fake from some of the details.
It's clear since Project Berkley, that there is a deep supernatural aspect to the story. We had a glimpse of that at the end of S2.

Aenima

I'm in the extreme minority, but one thing I loved about Shenmue III is that it really felt like it could have released in 2001. Like it felt like a game from Shenmue's era and I want Shenmue IV to do the same lol
Same, might not be for everyone, but i dont really want the Shenmue formula to change, they feel like a real life/ martial arts simulator, and hope if thers more they keep it that way.

spons

Gold Member
More believable than Reddit rumors considering people on 4chan aren't doing it for the likes.
Shit, I can't name a single rumor sourced from Reddit that turned out correct.

Esppiral

I'm in the extreme minority, but one thing I loved about Shenmue III is that it really felt like it could have released in 2001. Like it felt like a game from Shenmue's era and I want Shenmue IV to do the same lol
And that is the point almost no one gets, it was a game for the fans and trying to be as close as possible to the originals, I really liked it Despite some big flaws. The game wasn't intended for the average Joe.

Shenmue 3 despite having great environments was absolutely a filler episode. Don't get me started on the fighting engine.

SEGA why can't you give Suzuki back the rights to the Virtua Fighter engine?? I don't understand that crap at all.

SpiceRacz

This seems plausible if it can be done on a modest budget. My understanding is that Shenmue 3 did well for such a niche game.

Keeping my fingers crossed for no other reason than I want closure on the story. The original is one of my favorite game experiences ever.

Last edited:

stn

I'm gonna call true on this one. Seems like a lot of work to make up a very specific rumor about a game that will only affect the actual fans of the franchise (there aren't THAT many of us).

DKPOWPOW

Sure hope its true, but I would hope for a lot more content than 20 hours.

Been holding off on finishing Shenmue III because I didn't want to be left hanging another 2 decades or so.

Top Bottom