• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 4 Rumour on 4chan

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Even though I’ve played the originals multiple times, on original hardware when they came out, emulated more recently, and in PC when that release came out, and I kickstarted 3 and bought it again on Steam…I still haven’t finished 3 🫥

lachesis

While I have my doubts, it's the best news for me as a fan, and would want a real updated Shenmue experience for modern audience.

I have my issues with Shenmue 3, but nevertheless I platinummed the 3 and looking forward the follow up. At least bring it to some sort of better closure for the storyline please. I do see the intent, but the character development (especially the side charaters) were extremely lacking due to the low budget. People who were on the final fight of S3 should have had much more in-depth dramatic character dev in order to jump in and help out Ryo like that...

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I never played those games but whenever I see clips like this or hear someone talk about mechanics where you have to wait around til morning in the game to continue certain quests, it just sounds so stupid. Why do people hold this in such high regard, lol.
I was around 12 years old when playing Shenmue 1 and it was like getting to play as a teenager in a small town in 1980s Japan, so it holds a special place in my memory. It's incredibly dated now, but it was really immersive for the time.

Never played Shenmue 2 or 3, though. The novelty had worn off and they didn't get great reception

RAIDEN1

All the hype behind ShenMue 3, twenty years in the making and then when it finally DID come out....it was a shadow of ShenMue 1 and 2......who knew?

Brigandier

I was around 12 years old when playing Shenmue 1 and it was like getting to play as a teenager in a small town in 1980s Japan, so it holds a special place in my memory. It's incredibly dated now, but it was really immersive for the time.

Never played Shenmue 2 or 3, though. The novelty had worn off and they didn't get great reception

Shenmue 2 reviewed well and was received very well on DC but the Xbox version reviews were average, it was panned for being a lazy port with an absolutely SHOCKING English only dub which is still joked about 20 years later.

Fbh

I doubt anyone would want to fund another Shenmue game.
No one really cares about the franchise other than a very small minority that seem to enjoy the awful gameplay and writing because of Nostalgia. There was an anime which I thought might be a good way to give closure to the story but that got cancelled after 1 seasons since no one cared about Shenmue in that format either.

Shenmue 3 was the chance to bring back the franchise and capture a new audience, but it felt like some dated game from 2001 that didn't evolve or improve in any meaningful way after 20 years.

Top Bottom