• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II HD |OT| Would you like to play a game of Lucky Dip HD?

BANGS

Banned
For those looking for more Shenmue stuff for Christmas, Insert Coin has some new stuff in. Personally, I quite fond of the hoodie. I bought a T-Shirt from them before, and it was pretty good quality.

https://www.insertcoinclothing.com/shenmue/

840_1.jpg

840_2.jpg

840_5.jpg
All the fat sizes sold out of course...

Kazza

All the fat sizes sold out of course...

How dare you, sir! It's common knowledge that all the most hardcore of Shenmue fans, inspired the games' martial arts based story, have spent the last 20 years honing their lean but muscular physiques in their dojos, preparing themselves for the final battle against Lan Di.

Shenmue%2B2%2B-3.jpg

BANGS

Banned
How dare you, sir! It's common knowledge that all the most hardcore of Shenmue fans, inspired the games' martial arts based story, have spent the last 20 years honing their lean but muscular physiques in their dojos, preparing themselves for the final battle against Lan Di.

Shenmue%2B2%2B-3.jpg
And then they turned 30...

Kazza

XL, 2XL, 3XL sizes all sold out. XS, S, M, L all still available.....:goog_unsure:

XLZLCYa.jpg

Looks like Lan Di has nothing to worry about :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How buggy is it currently? Has it patched to respectability?

BANGS

Banned
How buggy is it currently? Has it patched to respectability?
If you've never played the games before, the bugs are so minor you probably won't notice too many during gameplay. If you're a hardcore fan, you'll notice some sort of bug every 5 seconds and be very disappointed...

Kazza

The PC version seems fine to me (as it should after 7 patches). I believe the PS4 and Xbox both got a large patch too and run ok now.

BANGS

Banned
The PC version seems fine to me (as it should after 7 patches). I believe the PS4 and Xbox both got a large patch too and run ok now.
Still tons of issues in all versions. Lots of hitbox issues when fighting, sound issues all around, etc... but like I said only a seasoned fan who knows the games inside and out will notice most of them as they are MUCH more polished than they were at launch...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers guys - looks like I'll pick it up during the sale. I seem to be gravitating to a lot more Japanese stuff lately - Nier, Yakuza 0, Bayonetta - I've missed out a whole section of gaming so I'm enjoying the chance to pick it up and figure it out.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
$70 for a sweater? Yeah, I think not.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear. Be sure to report back once you've finished it.

Could take a while. Got to get through Kingdom Come Deliverance, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata and Bayonetta first! (bit of a Japanese binge going on)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeaker

Can I have fun with the game if I did not play the original?
I read it is like the Yakuza games, I played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, so I don't know if I can enjoy Shenmue much older gameplay.

Mmnow

Can I have fun with the game if I did not play the original?
I read it is like the Yakuza games, I played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, so I don't know if I can enjoy Shenmue much older gameplay.
Mileage may vary. I love Shenmue, I was there for the first game and I'll never not love it.

It's a slow burner. It's mostly about atmosphere, location, character. The acting isn't always great, which hurts it a touch, but overall it's as much about your downtime as it is the story and action.

It suffers something wicked from the Seinfeld Effect. Almost everything in this game has been built upon and improved in the last 20 years. It was wildly influential.

If you're quite a patient person when it comes to clunky mechanics and if you don't mind old games as a rule, try it out. Play it at Christmas. It's set around that time and it just helps with the atmosphere.

I've never thought the Yakuza comparison is a good one. There are similarities, but there are way more differences. Yakuza, even the remakes of the older games, are way more action focused and modern.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Shenmue Dragon & Phoenix Collection is an engine replacement mod for the 2018 release of Shenmue I+II for PC that replaces the original engine with Unreal Engine 4, allowing for massive improvements across the board. This also modernizes the games, and brings their gameplay more in line with Shenmue III, while still maintaining the original look, feel, and core gameplay mechanics. Assets such as models, textures, and animations are extracted from a legitimately owned copy of Shenmue I+II, and placed into Unreal Engine 4 at install time which allows us to avoid many of the pitfalls other attempts at remakes have fallen into. This also allows us to cut back on some areas of development, such as recreating various gameplay sequences, and focus instead on smoothing out rough edges in the original gameplay, adding new features, and making the world look absolutely stunning and feel more alive than ever before.

Top Bottom