• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue the Animation to Premiere on February 5

ranmafan

Looking forward to it, but disappointed that there is no Japanese date yet other than 2022. Hopefully it’s sooner than later.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The staff of Shenmue the Animation, the anime series of Yu Suzuki's Shenmue game series, announced more Japanese cast members and the ending theme song's artists for the anime on Thursday. The newly announced cast members include:

Haruka Terui as Shenhua
shenhu.jpg

Haruka Fushimi as Nozomi Harusaki
nozomi.jpg

Ryūichi Kijima as Guizhang Chen
guizhang.jpg

Rock band Narudora performs the ending theme song "Sympathy."

Rikku-X

It's crazy how the animation looks better than 99% of current anime. I wonder how this came to be.

Wonder if the story will finally get finished via this cartoon.
It'd take a whole season just to cover the story beats of the three games that came out, assuming no major plot developments get cut. And it'd be absurd if they skipped plot beats when they have a scene of an arcade playing Virtua Fighter in the trailer.

It's crazy how the animation looks better than 99% of current anime. I wonder how this came to be.
Looks pretty par for how the mid-2000's looked action-anime-wise. Probably best not to let Netflix (and Crunchyroll, this budget does look like the exception compared to Ex-Arm and the ilk, certainly) be your primary perception of how anime can look.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A story of revenge and self-discovery, Shenmue debuted first as a video game by SEGA for the Dreamcast in 1999. Since then, the riveting tale of Ryo Hazuki has become a cult classic, with fans worldwide following his quest to become the ultimate martial artist as he journeys across Japan, Hong Kong, and beyond in search of his father's killer. Now over 20 years later, Crunchyroll and Adult Swim have teamed up to create Shenmue the Animation, an anime adaption that captures the same essence of mystery and thrilling martial arts. Here's an exclusive clip from the third episode of Shenmue the Animation, which finds Ryo Hazuki training with his friend in his family dojo.

Havoc2049

I'm enjoying this series. It's up to the point of the start of Shenmue II, where Ryu arrives in Hong Kong.

Anyone else watching it?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm enjoying this series. It's up to the point of the start of Shenmue II, where Ryu arrives in Hong Kong.

Anyone else watching it?
Been watching it faithfully every week and loving it. Hell, my wife even likes it, and she's never played the game and only knows of it because she's seen it on my shelf.

Havoc2049

I really enjoyed the first season of Shenmue. As far as new TV series based on video games, I thought it was leagues better than Halo.

Top Bottom