• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have just done away with any overarching plot and kept the series as short one off mysteries. Sort of like the short stories most of this is supposed to be based on.

Overarching plot is the least of the show's worries (especially when S1 and S2 -to an extent- showed that they can balance individual stories and an overarching plot). The problem is that there's no balance, so we ended up with more of a focus on the overarching plot but little to no development.

Season 1 and 2 were definitely the better seasons. I can not quite put my finger on why I felt there was something terribly missing in this season.
Perhaps because there was no real threat? Perhaps because, in the four seasons we have been with Sherlock and his crew, they never once mentioned he got a sister.

The whole 'his mind created an alternate reality' just does not sit well with me. It sounds like a cheap shot from the script writers to say they didn't have any wilder fantasies so they just took the simple route.

Episode 2 was the best out of three but it still can not reach quite the quality of Season 1 and 2. Shame, though. They hit quite a lot of nails with the Adominable Bride which had put my hopes really high for this season.

Joni

They did mention he had a sibling. Mycroft said something about the other one. We just assumed she was a he and maybe hoped it was Moriarty.

Skux

I really liked the finale. I don't get the argument that Sherlock has to be just about a detective and his sidekick. If you want that, there are three previous seasons to enjoy.

This season saw them branching out, and while it's hit and miss I'm pretty pleased with it.

It begs the question:

Did mom and pop holmes lived near a nuclear testing grounds or what?

3 children...all of them with almost superman level of intelligence and all of the sociopath?

Monocle

I thought Euros was cool as hell but I was disappointed that the meat of the final episode took place in the confined setting of the prison area and became some weird game show. And I wasn't sold on her ability to control people. That was a little much.

Rymuth

It begs the question:

Did mom and pop holmes lived near a nuclear testing grounds or what?

3 children...all of them with almost superman level of intelligence and all of the sociopath?
Well, they mentioned the mom was a genius at mathematics--so I think it's implied they got it from her.

Neoweee

I had a nightmare last night that they did a fourth episode of the season to act as a finale, and it was somehow worse than the third.

Just finished watching, I guess from skimming the thread I'm echoing other complaints but yeah, I wasn't thrilled with either the game-show aspect of the finale or the euros storyline as a whole. Tying Moriarty into it was kind of pointless IMHO, that didn't really do anything for either his or her stories. The whole thing just felt too 'fan-service-y'.

Still enjoyed it mostly but if they go on with a season five then I hope they put that stuff to bed, at least for a while.

Not to stir the pot too much here, (and I realize it should be a federal offense to ask someone to watch a YouTube video 1h49m long), but some pretty incisive critiques of season 4 and the series as a whole from hbomberguy on YouTube just went up yesterday. Anyone else have a chance to watch?

https://youtu.be/LkoGBOs5ecM

ibyea

Banned
I just finished series 4, and it was overall dreadful. I have to give special points to the final episode for being so utterly dreadful beyond belief. That episode could be the furthest thing from anything resembling "Sherlock Holmes" in my heuristics. It resembled more of some fantasy/sci fi thriller and not at all of mystery. Most of the time it was hilariously implausible even to this show's standards, and the wackiness of it reminded me too much of the game Danganronpa. Watson is the normal guy Makoto, who is surrounded by other ultimates (Sherlock and Mycroft), they are trapped in some death game, with Eurus being the mastermind
Enoshima Junko
, and Moriarty is the proxy Monokuma.

silva1991

Just watched the last episode. Absolutely disappointing.

After Euros great and unexpected reveal, I expect atleast a decent episode.

Her enslaving people ability was just laughable and I don't think anyone asked for more Moriarty.

Overall it was such a mediocre season with only one good episode(2)

Sorry for Bump

I am months behind and just watched Episode 1 Season 4.

For those of you who probably wondered wtf after watching this , please tell me the season ends on a much higher note. I kept thinking "wow, they managed to make this less likeable than RDJ's Holmes"

Sorry for Bump

For those of you who probably wondered wtf after watching this , please tell me the season ends on a much higher note. I kept thinking "wow, they managed to make this less likeable than RDJ's Holmes"

Short answer: No

Long answer: While Sherlock is slowly becoming even more human, he still did stuff that I actively hated. Then there were other characters that I found tolerable or interesting... ended up hating them at season's end. Finally, while it was good to see Mrs. Hudson, Molly & Lestrade again, I'm reminded of why I prefer the supporting cast over the leads.

TBH, I've nearly buried all that was S4 in the back of my mind, but there are still things that stuck out enough to make me remember what could've been.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sorry for Bump

This show is all the way up its own ass at this point. Like they seriously need a soft reboot where the only things that return in the next season are Holmes, Watson, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, and maybe Molly.

I remember actually liking the 2009 RDJ Holmes movie. Finally was able to get through the 2011 sequel last week and it has to be one of the laziest fucking sequels I've ever seen. It has two nice setpieces and then everything else was written around that. Completely soured me on wanting more RDJ Holmes

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
^huge Holmes fan and I found Game of Shadows a fantastic movie, the 2009 was complete arse in comparison. Tv serie pretty much plummeted after season one, it's fucking pretentious shit now

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'll always maintain the problem with the show is that Moff and Gatiss don't seem to understand that half the fun of Sherlock Holmes is him and Watson going on adventures together. S4 is full of them having different stories entirely.

That and Watson not raising his daughter is fucked up. Completely divorced from how that character should act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom