• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto says he’s confident Nintendo won’t change after he leaves

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At 70-years-old, Miyamoto is now in retirement age. However, he has previously insisted he’s not considering ending his career in the near future.

Speaking in a new interview with NPR, the Nintendo director was asked what he thinks Nintendo will be like without him, when the day of his departure eventually arrives.

“You know, I really feel like it’s not going to change,” he said. “It’s probably going to be the same. There’s, you know, people on the executive team, creators within the company and also people who create Mario, they all have this sense of what it means to be Nintendo.

“And so it’s not like there’s a lot of different opinions that go back and forth. Everyone has an understanding, this kind of shared understanding, of what it is to be Nintendo.

“And so even when there’s new ideas that come up, there’s always the fact that it’s a new idea, but also the fact that, is it a new idea that really has the essence of Nintendo or not?

“And I think that’s something that, you know – we have this incredible shared vision, almost a little scary shared vision, about this. So I think there won’t – it’s not going to change.”

Miyamoto previously said he’s been excited to work on a variety of projects, such as elements of the Super Nintendo World theme park attraction too, as well as mobile games, in addition to his other responsibilities at Nintendo.

The game designer repeated this sentiment when asked by NPR which of his created worlds he would chose to live in, if he could.

“I really love the work environment that I’m in because I get to engage in so many different things,” Miyamoto reploed. “So it’d be great if, you know, I could be in an environment where I can change the kind of work I do all the time. So I think it might just be my desk or my bathtub.”

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Why they would change? He's mostly just point here and there with the games. All of his creations are on other and well placed hands

He has a legacy and shit, but yeah, we kinda moved already, so...

Bragr

Banned
The amount of people he mentored in the 80s and 90s is truly staggering, all of the current top heads, even the Pokemon creator, all worked under him at some point.

In the last 15-ish years, he's been taking a different role, and he's more of an adviser and public face of the company. He's not making any big decisions anymore or having much input in games. Let him enjoy his last few years as a Nintendo employee by doing whatever the hell he wants.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why they would change? He's mostly just point here and there with the games. All of his creations are on other and well placed hands

Considering how seniority is treated, he can walk in a room, make a strong reasoned criticism of something and without having any org power as you say he still has influence.

Saber

Gold Member
I hope you're right. Would be a shame if Nintendo took the wrong path and woop the shit out of MTX/microtransactions to all their games.

Arioco

Wait! Is he ever going to leave Nintendo? I always thought Nintendo would keep him cryogenically frozen forever and ever. Besides, he's only 70, too young to retire, he's perfectly capable of designing new Mario games until he turns 90 or 100 at the very least.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Don’t underestimate the power of a linchpin. I’d say even though he isn’t directly involved with most of Nintendo’s games nowadays his mere presence at the company is a motivating factor for a lot of their staff.

You wouldn’t want to be the man that serves hot dog shit to the man who made Zelda and Mario.

tmlDan

I have no doubt they'll be fine, everything changes with time so don't expect that magic to last forever.

They'll have to foster the next generation, we're eventually gonna lose some industry greats to retirement very soon

chromhound

disappointed the audacity GIF by Sacramento Kings

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can Eiji Aonuma direct another Zelda game now? His Zelda directions are so much better.

Huh? Aonuma hasn't directed one since Twilight Princess, these days he's "just" a producer (obviously still with a lot of input, but yeah). Not sure what that has to do with Miyamoto staying or leaving, as he hasn't directed one in several decades.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he isn't as involved with the games as he used to be. It's a great loss to us and Nintendo, but I almost feel like it already happened.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t doubt it. They seem to have a very strong corporate culture at Nintendo in how they approach things.

BlackTron

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he isn't as involved with the games as he used to be. It's a great loss to us and Nintendo, but I almost feel like it already happened.

Miyamoto was left unchecked and responsible for Star Fox Zero -a game that Platinum probably would have made excellently if they didn't have his strict orders on Gamepad integration. He needed to be reeled in, and he was.

The man is a genius but became so preoccupied with doing things different or "innovative" that he lost his common sense.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What if change means they'll focus on higher quality consoles in the future? Maybe finally making the jump to 1440p or 4k. It would open up more opportunity with 3rd party devs and more games would have good ports to whatever there console is at the time.

I don't understand what's bad about that. Why are Nintendo fanboys seemingly tethered to mediocrity?

Yeah... just look at Pokemon franchise.
Which is how you know Nintendo does not own Pokémon. Nintendo wouldn't allow games to consistently release in the state Pokémon games get away with if it was their own first-party games they fully owned.

Scotty W

Gold Member
The temple bell echoes the impermanence of all things. The colors of the flowers testify to the truth that those who flourish must decay. Pride lasts but a little while, like a dream on a spring night. Before long the mighty are cast down, and they are as dust before the wind.

eye__writ

Banned
Unless he has any influence on controllers without analogue triggers being sold for £60 then he'll be missed when he goes.

Top Bottom