• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Wasn't a Fan of Navi in Zelda: Ocarina of Time

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Recently, an interview featuring legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto from a 1999 Japanese strategy guide was discovered and published online. Among the comments made by Miyamoto, he revealed that Navi could have been implemented better in Ocarina of Time. According to him, he disliked the fairy so much that he even stated that its implementation was the “biggest weak point” in an otherwise well-received game.

For context, Navi was a magical fairy encountered by Link early on in his adventure in Ocarina of Time. While the character was meant to provide useful clues to help players solve puzzles in the story, she left some frustrated and confused. Surprisingly, Miyamoto revealed that he wanted to remove the entire hint system connected to Navi. Based on comments from the developer, they purposefully had the fairy repeat the same lines of text repeatedly. “I know it makes it sound bad, but we purposely left her at a kind of "stupid' level," he said.

Unfortunately, the developer admitted that removing the character from the game was not feasible either, as it would make progression even more difficult for some players. According to Miyamoto, Navi was meant to give gamers that had stepped away from the game for an extended period a refresher. The character would help them remember where they left off and what they were supposed to do next in the adventure.

While Navi was a problem during development, Miyamoto stated that he had attempted to make the other hints found in the game easy for players to understand. However, he acknowledged that it was not an easy task as no two players are alike. “There’s no consistency,” he said in regard to how fans play the game. In addition to these comments about Navi, the interview with Miyamoto included many more interesting details. For example, Chain Chomps were planned to be included in the Gerudo Fortress section of the game at one point. Furthermore, he spoke about the importance of adding a “Zelda vibe” to the gameplay.

Last edited:
“I know it makes it sound bad, but we purposely left her at a kind of "stupid' level," he said.
vlcsnap-error720.png

The real Miyamoto is ruthless.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Considering the game’s success at the time and its enduring quality, maybe there’s a case to be made for stupid mode after all, hmmm?

Long-time gamers tend to forget how young a lot of folks are when they’re first introduced to vidya games, and how much of gaming’s language and conventions you take for granted after a while. A game like OoT is utterly incomprehensible for people who don’t game everyday. For more people than you can imagine, all the game is basically Water Temple.

Ezquimacore

Banned
BOTW was the first 3D Zelda game without a companion, if the next companion is not as good as Midna in TP or Zelda in ST just keep it like botw.

Dream-Knife

Banned
BOTW was the first 3D Zelda game without a companion, if the next companion is not as good as Midna in TP or Zelda in ST just keep it like botw.
The open world nature of BOTW makes a companion irrelevant. The companion in the other games were to basically give you a hint on what you were supposed to do next.

Ezquimacore

Banned
The open world nature of BOTW makes a companion irrelevant. The companion in the other games were to basically give you a hint on what you were supposed to do next.
They could easily do what other open world games do, add optional companions that you can hire or npcs that Link did something for them and then they feel like they gotta pay him back. Knowing Nintendo they could create a few interesting characters.

Hugare

Her tips would be fine without the "HEY, LISTEN" over and over again.

Text only and problem would have been solved

Tschumi

I've always just been pissed that these fairy's hints never solved jack shit for me (i played tww and a bit of OOT as a kid) i only broke out of getting stuck in TWW when i got a strategy guide

Kokoloko85

It wouldnt be the same without Navi. Good for youngsters and plus she helps locate a few good secrets. I love a side kick like Navi and Epona
Without Navi, the ending and Majoras Mask would have less impact. Link was on his quest to find where Navi went until Majoras Mask

Last edited:

SegaShack

And Anouma made more annoying Navi like characters as the series progressed such as Midna and Fi. I never was bothered by Navi.

Barakov

Recently, an interview featuring legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto from a 1999 Japanese strategy guide was discovered and published online. Among the comments made by Miyamoto, he revealed that Navi could have been implemented better in Ocarina of Time. According to him, he disliked the fairy so much that he even stated that its implementation was the “biggest weak point” in an otherwise well-received game.

For context, Navi was a magical fairy encountered by Link early on in his adventure in Ocarina of Time. While the character was meant to provide useful clues to help players solve puzzles in the story, she left some frustrated and confused. Surprisingly, Miyamoto revealed that he wanted to remove the entire hint system connected to Navi. Based on comments from the developer, they purposefully had the fairy repeat the same lines of text repeatedly. “I know it makes it sound bad, but we purposely left her at a kind of "stupid' level," he said.

Unfortunately, the developer admitted that removing the character from the game was not feasible either, as it would make progression even more difficult for some players. According to Miyamoto, Navi was meant to give gamers that had stepped away from the game for an extended period a refresher. The character would help them remember where they left off and what they were supposed to do next in the adventure.

While Navi was a problem during development, Miyamoto stated that he had attempted to make the other hints found in the game easy for players to understand. However, he acknowledged that it was not an easy task as no two players are alike. “There’s no consistency,” he said in regard to how fans play the game. In addition to these comments about Navi, the interview with Miyamoto included many more interesting details. For example, Chain Chomps were planned to be included in the Gerudo Fortress section of the game at one point. Furthermore, he spoke about the importance of adding a “Zelda vibe” to the gameplay.
HEY
zelda hatred GIF

KielCasto

According to Miyamoto, Navi was meant to give gamers that had stepped away from the game for an extended period a refresher. The character would help them remember where they left off and what they were supposed to do next in the adventure.
Oh hey! That’s me. I guess it worked because I don’t dislike Navi.

oldergamer

This shouldnt come as a huge surprise but miyamoto was not a fan of most games he didn't develop himself. He hated the strikers series. Disliked what was happening with mario games until i think mario galaxy. Note i heard this from ex next level people before nintendo officially paid their salaries directly.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Navi's fine.

People dog pile on her but she's no more annoying than Tatl from Majora's Mask and is infinitely less annoying than Fi in Skyward Sword.

It's just something for a lot of people to point at and just have a collective moan over. I say that with confidence too cause I'm playing through OOT right now and yea, sometimes her text box can't be rushed through but it's not like it's happening every 5 seconds. The times where she's trying to get you to go somewhere, you can just hit C-Up then B and it's over and done with in like 2 seconds. What's the big deal?

IMO Midna is the best side-character in Zelda though, she actually has depth and a personality, not to mention the fact that Twilight Princess as a whole is essentially her story. Tatl has personality too and plays a large role in MM but I've never beaten the game so I can't really comment on her as a whole.

I'll take Navi saying "Hey!" any day over forced walking sections that are featured in dozens of games. It's all about perspective.

Kaachan

Navi never had as much personality as Tatl and Tael but she's fine. Never understood all the hate she got

Last edited:
This shouldnt come as a huge surprise but miyamoto was not a fan of most games he didn't develop himself. He hated the strikers series. Disliked what was happening with mario games until i think mario galaxy. Note i heard this from ex next level people before nintendo officially paid their salaries directly.
There's also that story on how Yoshi's Island's art style was a potshot at the people demanding he make games with CGI graphics like Donkey Kong Country.

I don't think this logic applies here though, since he was pretty hands-on with OoT. (to the point where he's said to be the reason the development got rebooted once)
Him not liking Navi may well just be him pandering to the fanbase opinions, for all I really know.

Top Bottom