• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV 4th Trailer

NeonZ

Exploration looks fine, but having the protagonist as the only polygonal character is so distracting when you just encounter sprites and "portraits" (that moment in the trailer where they show him summoning demons in battle looks kinda silly).

There's a scene in the trailer with other 3d human characters passing by the protagonist, it doesn't look like he's interacting with them though.

vdms1tc.png

Is Strange Journey part of the main SMT storyline? (I never played SJ)

EDIT: Oh and is Strange Journey good? Because I'm tempted to grab it, totally forgot about this title.

I'm expecting Louise Ferre (or whatever his female disguise was named in Strange Journey) to be in that suit, the content of her dialogue so far seems to be the sort of thing he likes to say.

At 2:24, Oberon seems to be offering to teach the MC one of his skills!

Hylian7

The presentation while good for what it is, is somewhat disappointing given that it's 2013.

Whatever though, I'm just happy for a mainline SMT game and a game from Atlus that doesn't take place in a school... or does it?
I imagine at some point, there will be a dungeon that looks like a school.

Basch

'o-o'

Soul Hackers hasn't even come out yet, how am I supposed to keep up with all this SMT goodness. Next to P5, this is actually my second most anticipated game right now.

I want this so bad...

Can't wait for the localization announcement (it definitely should come with SH)

What's SH? Soul Hackers?

Persona86

Banned
What's the budget on these kind of handheld RPGs? Does it explain the static drawings approach?

Either it's a design choice or a budget choice, the 3DS could do a full 3D Nocturne style game if they wanted to.

If I was to guess, most of the budget is being used on Persona 5. So not much loss when you think about it. :)

Pupsicles

Music is awesome, can't wait for this! ]

I loved strange journey. I liked the story and charcter designs. Hated the music though, it was too cult-ish chanting into the night hallucination style heh.

I hope SMT IV brings the best in Strange Journey with the awesome music that III had!

Nags

Banned
I wonder if we will ever get some proper re-releases of the first two SMT games in the west. I still need to play those.

ranmafan

Awesome trailer! Can't wait. Preordered the famitsu dx pack last night. Thankfully the wait is not too long, but ill be busy when it comes out which will limit my playtime with it for a while. Still no matter, I'm very excited with every piece of new info.

I really kind of like 2D X 3D. It would be awesome if there was some kind of game explanation at least for the Demons a la 3D in Superman Beyond (a higher plane of existence)

Soriku

I have only ever played most Persona games, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.
I know that these are not to be confused with the actual SMT games and that they're fairly different from each other.

I am pretty hyped for this game regardless, as if there is anything the Persona games tell me, it's that Atlus makes good games and their games have above average writing (played Catherine as well, by the way). I really don't know what to expect from an actual SMT game, but I want it regardless. Besides, this trailer looks excellent.

Play Nocturne.

Soriku

Played it, loved it. More difficult than the other Persona games though. P3 came somewhat close at times, I suppose.

Oh, seriously? I thought it was some kind of a side-story, as iwakura said. I have to say that I definitely liked it (due to writing and whatnot), but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Liked it more than Devil Survivor, but less than any of the Persona games.

Nocturne is a main SMT title. It's SMT3. Basically if you've played Nocturne and SJ you should have an idea of what to expect.

CSX

The music so good. Brings back memories of Matador.

Butterfly dude with goatee = new demon? I wanna say its a very old Kaneko demon for some reason

Soriku

Thanks for subbing it.

It's interesting, they keep saying "gods and demons" and not "angels and demons." Has that been the case in the JP versions of other SMT games too or is that a recent change?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This and Pokemon XY are the only 3DS games I'm really excited about. Which isn't a jab or nuthin. This game looks amazing.

Top Bottom