• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV 4th Trailer

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Thanks for subbing it.

It's interesting, they keep saying "gods and demons" and not "angels and demons." Has that been the case in the JP versions of other SMT games too or is that a recent change?

That's a personal word choice on my part just given what the original Japanese trailer uses. If the kanji that they've used in past games was 天使 (what's normally used in Japanese to refer to angels as we understand them) or something along those lines to refer to law-alignment guys rather than 神 (just plain old "gods") as these trailers have, then I wasn't aware of the precedence until now.

Soriku

That's a personal word choice on my part just given what the original Japanese trailer uses. If the kanji that they've used in past games was 天使 (what's normally used in Japanese to refer to angels as we understand them) or something along those lines to refer to law-alignment guys rather than 神 (just plain old "gods") as these trailers have, then I wasn't aware of the precedence until now.

Hmm OK. They do say "kami" in the trailer which is god too.

Kenai

So pumped for this, can't wait for NA release. Also got a weird
Fire Emblem
vibe at the start, which makes me crave more info about a certain other game as well...

Mozendo

Yeah, kind of like SMT if... was.
Yeah, that confuses me too. A friend once told me that if... is considered in the mainline because the game starts off in Japan, unlike Strange Journey.

That someone would be me. :) I was going to post it in this thread soon, but I'm pleasantly surprised to already be beaten to the punch so soon after uploading it. The wonders of the Internet.
Ah, thank you so much! Your translation of the trailer cleared up a misconception for me thinking that the game was set in the future. Now I know there's some sort of time travel involved.
P.S. I like corgis too.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Hmm OK. They do say "kami" in the trailer which is god too.

To be certain, "Angels and demons" isn't an inherently wrong way to translate it when the text at least pops up on the screen; at some point it just boils down to what comes to mind for me personally when I'm doing the translation on this sort of stuff. In retrospect, it's a bit more romantic and evocative of a phrase to go with. "Gods and devils" would have also been another valid choice I could see other translators using, along with similar variations. It's just one of those things that boils down to semantic preferences since so little translates directly one-to-one between Japanese and English. At some point I just have to work off what the text is evoking in me on a sentimental level when it comes to that sort of work, albeit significantly less so in this case specifically.

Yeah, that confuses me too. A friend once told me that if... is considered in the mainline because the game starts off in Japan, unlike Strange Journey.

Ah, thank you so much! Your translation of the trailer cleared up a misconception for me thinking that the game was set in the future. Now I know there's some sort of time travel involved.
P.S. I like corgis too.

Happy to be of service! And it's actually a shiba. I am certainly not against a corgi-with-glasses icon in the future, though.

Awesome. I heard a remixed version of the Fiend theme from Nocturne. Remixed Law theme too I believe at the end.

The song at 2:30 sounds bitchin'. Need to hear the full version.

You heard right. This game will be amazing! Please let this come over sometime this year.

Art is slick and presentation seems to be quite a step above Strange Journey. I really look forward to seeing how the two worlds are connected.

I can already tell I'm going to dislike both Law Guy and Chaos Guy. Hope there's an attractive middleground (other than "humans rule!")...

Eirikr

To be certain, "Angels and demons" isn't an inherently wrong way to translate it when the text at least pops up on the screen; at some point it just boils down to what comes to mind for me personally when I'm doing the translation on this sort of stuff. In retrospect, it's a bit more romantic and evocative of a phrase to go with. "Gods and devils" would have also been another valid choice I could see other translators using, along with similar variations. It's just one of those things that boils down to semantic preferences since so little translates directly one-to-one between Japanese and English. At some point I just have to work off what the text is evoking in me on a sentimental level when it comes to that sort of work, albeit significantly less so in this case specifically.

Not questioning your superlative subtitling, but the trailer's usage of "Gods vs. Demons" is pretty...let's call it evocative. A good portion of any SMT demon roster is made up of gods-- are the "gods" talked about there of a separate sphere entirely? The lack of Law v. Chaos is also interesting, considering there are lawful "demons" and chaotic "gods" aplenty.

At worst, I think it's a bit reductive to define the conflict in those terms, but the tone of the game seems to be a return to the more pulpy plotlines of I and II.

Huh? You mean secret government/cult is hiding a castle empire in modern Japan?

More like castle empire is hiding the rest of demon-infested, post-apocalypse Japan from its own citizens.

I think it was stated in at least one piece of media for the game that most of East Mikado's citizens don't know about demons, and the Samurai themselves are sworn to secrecy about it.

Einbroch

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks this looks...not good? It looks "cheap". The way your character runs through the streets/dungeons looks clumsy and linear. The battle system looks (too) old-school and boring. The art style is bizarre and off-putting. The animations (enemies in particular) look like old Pokemon animations. Just doesn't look that good.

Music sounds great, though. And am I seeing armor that changes as you equip it? That's always a plus.

I hope this goes without saying, but this is all my opinion, of course.

Am I the only one who thinks this looks...not good? It looks "cheap". The way your character runs through the streets/dungeons looks clumsy and linear. The battle system looks (too) old-school and boring. The art style is bizarre and off-putting. The animations (enemies in particular) look like old Pokemon animations. Just doesn't look that good.

Music sounds great, though. And am I seeing armor that changes as you equip it? That's always a plus.

Press Turn is the finest turn-based battle system ever crafted.

As for the rest, Megaten has lost some clout in an era where truly dark, mature narratives in Japanese games is under siege, and indifferent difficulty in gaming in general. The behind the scenes position of the series' long-time visionary Kaneko is also felt, surely.

Who knows? It sells well, we may get stronger. Also note the rigidly 2D look not only harkens back to its 90s roots, but also allows for freaking gobs of enemies on-screen.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

So I assume you have never played a SMT game, right?

Soriku

So I assume you have never played a SMT game, right?

Yeah, really. The way the MC runs is similar to how Demifiend runs in Nocturne. Also lol at press-turn being "old school and boring." SMT IV's version is bound to have improvements even in the press-turn found in Nocturne/DDS too.

Art style and sprites are subjective but I like the art in this game a lot and I think the animated sprites are fine. There are even unique death animations which are cool.

As someone who has only played Persona 3, it will be very interesting to get into SMT's main series. It looks like a completely different beast.

Varna

This is looking really good. I only pray that they don't go overboard with the cutscenes. The crap in Strange Journey is down right painful. Learn from Nocturne and DDS. Less is more.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This is looking really good. I only pray that they don't go overboard with the cutscenes. The crap in Strange Journey is down right painful. Learn from Nocturne and DDS. Less is more.

DDS was cutscene heavy...

duckroll

Some new screens from Dengeki: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/614/614484/

The backgrounds in some of those conversation scenes look FUCKING AWESOME!!!

vdtOcol.jpg

sDpFpDX.jpg

Dantis

Still not sold on this.

Man, I wish it was prettier. It looks like a DS game, for the most part.

Some parts look really cheap. Others don't. The art style for the characters is very good though, I think.

Varna

I'm pretty sure you will be dissapointed.

FUCK. It all depends on how the story goes when. SJ just had so much crap filler dialogue. I wouldn't mind something like SMT 2 or Persona 1/2.

DDS was cutscene heavy...

It didn't feel that way to me. Lots of them were pretty short and they didn't state the absolute obvious like many RPGs do.

I wonder how 3D these will be?

Probably about the same as Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers (I'm guessing on this one).

cj_iwakura

FUCK. It all depends on how the story goes when. SJ just had so much crap filler dialogue. I wouldn't mind something like SMT 2 or Persona 1/2.

It didn't feel that way to me. Lots of them were pretty short and they didn't state the absolute obvious like many RPGs do.

Personally I'm hyped for a story-heavy core game, because the minimalist approach always had such good characters with so little dialogue.

Soriku

The white-haired lady (I believe her name is Burroughs) is the AI in the gauntlet the MC has but I think she's the one wrapping around Walter and Jonathan in the boxart (she doesn't really appear in the boxart much but in a scan there was a full picture with a character with black lips like her's in the background). Wonder what her role is.

Eirikr

The white-haired lady (I believe her name is Burroughs) is the AI in the gauntlet the MC has but I think she's the one wrapping around Walter and Jonathan in the boxart (she doesn't really appear in the boxart much but in a scan there was a full picture with a character with black lips like her's in the background). Wonder what her role is.

I can imagine her filling a role like Arthur in SJ. If everything goes sour for everyone else as is usually the case, she'll still be there.

If that is her, she looks slightly different for each alignment. I wonder if she changes depending on your choice.

The Demonica is in SMT IV. SJ is going to be important in some way to it.

Hype levels rising.

Fuck me I want this.

Persona opened the door, I love all things SMT now. At some point, I'm gonna play the older games.

...Why haven't the older games been remade on the 3DS yet?

Nairume

Banned
If you count Devil Survivor, their Law-equivalent faction is actually pretty soft compared to the the earlier games. They help you even if you are not on their routes.

SJ's law faction is also kind of reasonable, all things considered.

This looks great. What should I do in preparation for this game if I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei (or any spin off) before?
Play Digital Devil Saga if you need a forgiving entry into the series that will give you plenty of time to learn the mechanics, while never really fucking you on character building options.

Then play SMT Nocturne and Persona 4 to experience the franchise at its best. Or you could play all of them. They are all good.

...except Ronde. Don't play Ronde.

Top Bottom