• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Review Thread

What looks bad about it?

I think it looks very good when there's a lot of enemies on the screen. I'd prefer a huge amount of 2D sprites to Nocturne's limited low-poly 3D models. But I've always been a "gameplay trumps all" sort of guy.

Why do I think it looks bad? Well ...
To me the battles looks like poor Frankenstein reanimations of the past. If they had done a really good job, maybe it wouldn't. But if I look at a video I feel something similar to seeing FFV iOS or one of Square's mobage.

If you can enjoy the game and it's visuals, then you probably have a great experience on your hands.

I think JParish is suggesting that the economic situation for these games is even worse than in the PS2 era.

According to garaph's media create archive, SMT3 LTD was 245,520 whereas SMT:SJ was 136,149, so for 4 they may have scaled their expectations downward.

For some reason I couldn't find SMT4 on there, but SMT4 sales for the first week in Japan were 188,562, which seems pretty decent.

EDIT: Last Media Create had SMT4 at 245.568 so that's a pretty big success.

I mostly attribute the difficulties of this generation with the higher costs of HD development, but I suppose you have a point.

ohlawd

These two sections of the IGN review have me worried. I would buy the game for its story and lore/world, since I am far from being fond of the battle system in the game, but hearing that the characters are pretty much all bland and uninteresting, that the world doesnt seem to be varied and colorful and that the graphics are unimpressive, sure didnt make me want the game more. :/
Luu, I'm lost.

Press turn has nothing to do with 2D or 3D battles and that's what I'm feeling from your battle system complaints.

Bladenic

May keep my pre-order. I really want this game. Looks so fun. The extras like the strategy book are nice, and I'd only be paying $42 at Newegg. That said, is there any way to find out for sure if the first print edition will have the extras? I know PxZ people got gipped out of their extras at Newegg and I'd hate to suffer the same fate with this game.

I'm waiting for this. Got my Club Nintendo Code from Fire Emblem Awakening. Soon free $30 dollar eShop credit

I'd rather have PSN credit though, lol

Lissar

Reluctant Member
May keep my pre-order. I really want this game. Looks so fun. The extras like the strategy book are nice, and I'd only be paying $42 at Newegg. That said, is there any way to find out for sure if the first print edition will have the extras? I know PxZ people got gipped out of their extras at Newegg and I'd hate to suffer the same fate with this game.

It's packaged in with all the first print copies of the game, you have nothing to worry about.

ranmafan

Great to see the reviews as high as they are. I knew people would like this game a lot. Well deserved high reviews.

LuuKyK

Luu, I'm lost.

Press turn has nothing to do with 2D or 3D battles and that's what I'm feeling from your battle system complaints.

What do you mean? I dont like the 2D art (though I think its understandable now that people are mentioning the amount of demons in the game, but still) and dont like the FPS view during combat, which generates weird moments like you attacking and a random fruit-ninja slash appearing on screen representing your move. I mean... there are not enough facepalms in the world. Is it hard to make the same character that is being used for the exploring do the attack movement and show it on screen? I dont get this lame decision honestly.

Now, besides this irritating aspects, I would be willing to play the game for a good narrative, but I've seen some complaints about the story/plot and characters being badly implemented into the game (and honestly since the reveal I've been saying the characters look copy and paste from each other - and that based on the looks alone, so I wasn't totally off on my prediction I guess).

I was leaning towards buying it, but now I am reconsidering it. :|

suzu

What do you mean? I dont like the 2D art (though I think its understandable now that people are mentioning the amount of demons in the game, but still) and dont like the FPS view during combat, which generates weird moments like you attacking and a random fruit-ninja slash appearing on screen representing your move. I mean... there are not enough facepalms in the world. Is it hard to make the same character that is being used for the exploring do the attack movement and show it on screen? I dont get this lame decision honestly.

Now, besides this irritating aspects, I would be willing to play the game for a good narrative, but I've seen some complaints about the story/plot and characters being badly implemented into the game (and honestly since the reveal I've been saying the characters look copy and paste from each other - and that based on the looks alone, so I wasn't totally off on my prediction I guess).

I was leaning towards buying it, but now I am reconsidering it. :|

When you say you don't like the "battle system", what you really mean is that you don't like the 2D art & first person view for battles.

The battle system in SMT IV is called "press turn".

That's what he's getting at (I think).

I believe the narrative is good in SMT games, but if you're looking for the exact equivalent to Persona...

LuuKyK

When you say you don't like the "battle system", what you really mean is that you don't like the 2D view for battles.

The battle system in SMT IV is called "press turn".

That's what he's getting at (I think).

I believe the narrative is good in SMT games, but if you're looking for the exact equivalent to Persona...

Yeah, I like the battle system. I just dont like the perspective, thats all. It honestly ruins it for me, I know it sounds lame, but...

suzu

Yeah, I like the battle system. I just dont like the perspective, thats all. It honestly ruins it for me, I know it sounds lame, but...

I don't particularly like first person views in rpgs, but I don't mind it for battles. At least the the dungeons are in third person.

Aeana

There's a distinct lack of complaints about the perspective in the reviews so far. There could be many reasons for that, but I'd wager that the actual reason is that it turns out to not be a big deal once you're actually playing. So give it a shot.

Bladenic

I felt the same way until I played DQ games and realized that first person view speeds up battle times considerably since there's no animations to sit through. It's a fair trade off IMO. So I don't mind it. I suppose it is a regression from SMT3 but eh, they probably had to cut costs somewhere.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't particularly like first person views in rpgs, but I don't mind it for battles. At least the the dungeons are in third person.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the first person view for most games if it's the focus, but as long as it's restricted to battles, I think I'll get used to it. I'm just used to see my characters perform the attacks and such. Plus it'll prepare me for Earthbound on VC since that doesn't show your characters during battle as well.

LuuKyK

Thanks for the advice guys, and yeah, knowing myself I will eventually buy it and give it a try. I wanted to mention because it bothered me in DQ and it does till today in every game that has it. I just dont get why some developers make this choice. I guess it makes sense in this case because the 3D character woulndt match the 2d demons and I also understand some smaller companies doing so, but some high profile companies like Square in games like DQ have no excuse to use it imo.

ranmafan

Thanks for the advice guys, and yeah, knowing myself I will eventually buy it and give it a try. I wanted to mention because it bothered me in DQ and it does till today in every game that has it. I just dont get why some developers make this choice. I guess it makes sense in this case because the 3D character woulndt match the 2d demons, but some high profile games like DQ have no excuse to use it imo.

Yeah definitely give it a try. The game is too good to pass up on that. And really the battles are good and fun to play and I think for most people bothered by the fact it doesn't look like nocturne's 3d look or like other games, will change their minds once they play it. The battles are great, even in 2d.

Wow, right now it's 87 at Metacritic, making it right now the highest rated 3rd-party 3DS game, and only second to Fire Emblem: Awakening (IRONY) and tied with Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I dunno. If you've ever enjoyed an SMT narrative, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy SMT's story. It's dark, it's open, it's not intrusive. At the same time, it's compelling enough to keep you playing to see what happens.

Nozomi is the best character. Foreverz.

Bladenic

Thanks for the advice guys, and yeah, knowing myself I will eventually buy it and give it a try. I wanted to mention because it bothered me in DQ and it does till today in every game that has it. I just dont get why some developers make this choice. I guess it makes sense in this case because the 3D character woulndt match the 2d demons and I also understand some smaller companies doing so, but some high profile companies like Square in games like DQ have no excuse to use it imo.

Well DQ games stopped using first person view too. Or rather, they use it but they show your characters doing the actions.

The thing is that SMT4 has over 400 demons, which is dramatically more enemies than a game like EO4. If SMT were a bigger franchise that were guaranteed to sell, they may have put money into making 3D models for all of them, but they cut their losses and it was probably a good idea.

On the one hand, I do like having a large number of demons, and can see why that forced them to use sprites. On the other hand, I really wouldn't mind if they cut the number of demons if it let them use 3D models for them. Your character goes from level 1 to 99. Let's say the demons are distributed evenly among all the levels. This means every time you level up, you gain a choice between four new demons. That could be too much, since a majority of them aren't going to be useful to you because they have crappy resistances/skills at the point at which you can acquire them.

Incidentally, I don't think you can find a compendium completion percentage in IV. I'm guessing they didn't want to calculate one due to DLC demons affecting the numbers.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
On the one hand, I do like having a large number of demons, and can see why that forced them to use sprites. On the other hand, I really wouldn't mind if they cut the number of demons if it let them use 3D models for them. Your character goes from level 1 to 99. Let's say the demons are distributed evenly among all the levels. This means every time you level up, you gain a choice between four new demons. That could be too much, since a majority of them aren't going to be useful to you because they have crappy resistances/skills at the point at which you can acquire them.

Lol, in other words: this is Gran Turismo.

Tiktaalik

I know a few hardcore gamers and RPG fans that have never really gotten into SMT due to the 1st person perspective. I think this attitude is pretty common. Fortunately the Persona games provide another option for SMT-ish gameplay and style without the 1st person dungeon crawling view.

jdl

Banned
Shin Megami is always so disappointing.

Awesome concepts, stories and art wrapped around drawn out, tedious games.

I will keep a tab on this, though.

Soriku

Shin Megami is always so disappointing.

Awesome concepts, stories and art wrapped around drawn out, tedious games.

I will keep a tab on this, though.

Well if the random battles have been annoying you, this game doesn't have any.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
There's a distinct lack of complaints about the perspective in the reviews so far. There could be many reasons for that, but I'd wager that the actual reason is that it turns out to not be a big deal once you're actually playing. So give it a shot.

Yep, exactly this. The game looks fine on a little portable screen. And combat is fast -- I'm totally willing to trade visual flash for expediency in a turn-based RPG. I've ended battles with by hitting a mob with their weakness before the first note of the battle theme (which doesn't kick in until you've finished inputting your first action) is finished.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I'll take briskly-paced first person perspective battles over having to watch the same goddamn attack animations in every battle for 80 hours. With games as combat-heavy as the SMT games are, I welcome the return to the faster-paced style.

jblank83

My main problem was not with the 2d monster sprites in battle, but with the 2d monster portraits. Some of them are just outright bad.

flawfuls

I'll take briskly-paced first person perspective battles over having to watch the same goddamn attack animations in every battle for 80 hours. With games as combat-heavy as the SMT games are, I welcome the return to the faster-paced style.

I second this sentiment. The cheap cutscenes is what people should be really disappointed with.

Volcynika

Yep, exactly this. The game looks fine on a little portable screen. And combat is fast -- I'm totally willing to trade visual flash for expediency in a turn-based RPG. I've ended battles with by hitting a mob with their weakness before the first note of the battle theme (which doesn't kick in until you've finished inputting your first action) is finished.

Wait, the music kicking in is only done after your first action is decided? That's.....kinda awesome.

Fady K

I find the world of Shin Megami Tensei intriguing, but I'm *reaaaaaaaaally* not into fusions, demon collecting, and grinding. And I cannot stand it when a battle takes so long only for a lucky hit by the boss to destroy your entire party near the end.

I find the world of Shin Megami Tensei intriguing, but I'm *reaaaaaaaaally* not into fusions, demon collecting, and grinding. And I cannot stand it when a battle takes so long only for a lucky hit by the boss to destroy your entire party near the end.

There might still be elements of the experience that you like, but I'm going to say that SMT probably isn't for you at all.

Weird how this thread is so focused on graphics and the use of first person perspective, something common in the franchise, specially on handhelds.
Oh well, I'll just go back to my European corner and continue waiting.

Fady K

There might still be elements of the experience that you like, but I'm going to say that SMT probably isn't for you at all.

I'm guessing the same. I'm sure there's a few things I would really like about the game, but an 80 hour experience may be too long for me when I am not in love with the game.

I actually *really* liked Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne for the first 6-7 hours before fusion became and collecting demons became too important >_>

Balb

It's probably safe to say SMTIV doesn't transcend the genre based on the reviews, but I'm okay with that.

So, I preordered this game, but I don't know much about it to not spoil it.

But I have a question. Sorry, if it's been asked, but I don't have time to read the thread since I'm getting ready for work.

But, about the 2D battles. Does this mean that the party members and demons don't have 3D models at all? If so, that's disappointing :(

So, I preordered this game, but I don't know much about it to not spoil it.

But I have a question. Sorry, if it's been asked, but I don't have time to read the thread since I'm getting ready for work.

But, about the 2D battles. Does this mean that the party members and demons don't have 3D models at all? If so, that's disappointing :(

This is correct. The battles are first-person, lightly animated 2D sprites. On the plus side, some battles have a LOT of demons in them, and this speeds up the battles overall.

Top Bottom