• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Review Thread

Gambit

Sounds like Digital Devil Saga are the games for you!

Ah yes, I remember seeing them. I'll look for them in the usual shops. Is there any hope for a port to 3DS or Vita?

I have grown to like my portable RPGs.

Wow, we think exactly alike! This is exactly the feature I don't like in my RPGs, especially when it is not optional :(.

Btw bro, i'll be mailing you soon about Sherlock :)!!

Yea, I thought it was only my pet peeve. Can't wait to hear what you think of season 2.

Ah yes, I remember seeing them. I'll look for them in the usual shops. Is there any hope for a port to 3DS or Vita?

I have grown to like my portable RPGs.
Both games can still be found for really cheap. No need to wait for a (relatively) expensive port when they're this cheap (provided you have a functioning PS2).

GeekyDad

Wow...just finished reading the Blistered Thumbs review. Think they covered just about everything in that review.

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member
Thanks for the response, it's good to hear that plans can fall apart. (that sounds weird)

I had completely forgotten about things like reserve demons somehow and new things like fusing demons mid battle. I'm not quite that much into planning optimized strats but it does make me interested.

My biggest strategy really is just to give Flynn one of every elemental attack and lead off a battle with trying out those spells. Then, I can pull other demons into the battle to help keep up that strategy.

A lot of times, demons with similar weaknesses will stick to certain areas/dungeons, so you can set up one party for that quest and nurse them through with support characters.

Media is a life saver.

Soriku

Yes, I would love that. I would als love a Megami Tensei game without the fusions and with a limited amount of party members, be they demons or humans, with stories to tell and character development. Of course, that would take away the identity if Megami Tensei, but I would not mind at all. (I know i'm in the minority by far here).

You're literally describing Digital Devil Saga. Try that series.

Why does fusion bother you btw?

KiTA

So how's the difficulty of this? I've heard that it's somewhat easy in comparison to earlier SMT games, compounded with DLC that makes it even easier -- but I've also heard that it's soul crushingly hard.

I guess it can be both -- the modern generation's "soul crushingly hard" doesn't necessarily equate to a particularly difficult SMT game. *Shakes cane*

Why are people even posting in this thread if they don't like fusion and demon collection? It's like posting in a Battlefield thread if you don't like shooting, or posting in a XCOM thread if you don't like turn based games.

So how's the difficulty of this? I've heard that it's somewhat easy in comparison to earlier SMT games, compounded with DLC that makes it even easier -- but I've also heard that it's soul crushingly hard.

I guess it can be both -- the modern generation's "soul crushingly hard" doesn't necessarily equate to a particularly difficult SMT game. *Shakes cane*

Difficulty comments about an SMT game are practically worthless because of how subjective and tuned to different playstyles the series has been in the past.

Esura

Banned
Why are people even posting in this thread if they don't like fusion and demon collection? It's like posting in a Battlefield thread if you don't like shooting, or posting in a XCOM thread if you don't like turn based games.

Maybe they thought SMTIV would be different and this would be a new spot to start at since it looks more appealing in other ways. Nothing wrong with that.

pahamrick

Maybe they thought SMTIV would be different and this would be a new spot to start at since it looks more appealing in other ways. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd only played the Persona games prior, but reading about SMT proper had me excited. I've since picked up Soul Hackers, pre-ordered SMT IV and now I'm looking to get Devil Survivor: Overclocked

ohlawd

I'd only played the Persona games prior, but reading about SMT proper had me excited. I've since picked up Soul Hackers, pre-ordered SMT IV and now I'm looking to get Devil Survivor: Overclocked

Good man. Let me give you a hug for your good work.

Knock yourself out.

I'm still not seeing the issue. Its not like the posters are trolling or anything,

I'm not seeing the distinction between trolling and asking if they took out the SMT mainstays out of SMT. It's all the same.

I'm all for new fans of the series, but good lord.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm grumpy right now.

Gotta say it...an SMT game where you can't choose a side (law, chaos, neutral, anywhere between) isn't a true SMT in my mind. I beat DDS, but its world and story didn't resonate with me nearly as much as Nocturne's.

Soriku

Gotta say it...an SMT game where you can't choose a side (law, chaos, neutral, anywhere between) isn't a true SMT in my mind. I beat DDS, but its world and story didn't resonate with me nearly as much as Nocturne's.

I didn't like DDS that much because of no demon fusion. It made the frequent random battles annoying when there wasn't something else to push me through them. Story didn't wow me either. I played Nocturne after DDS and even if it was a similarly styled game I enjoyed it far more.

esoterika

Neo Member

DDS isn't a true SMT anyways, that was just Atlus USA branding, much like they do with Persona. It's called Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner in Japan.

Putting a Law or Chaos option in DDS would have had you joining up with Cuvier or Jenna, and who wants to join with those tools? :p

Fady K

You're literally describing Digital Devil Saga. Try that series.

Why does fusion bother you btw?

Apologies for not getting back sooner, just passed by the thread again. I always thought Digital Devil Saga looked interesting. I'd be interested in playing a new Megami Tensei game that is similar to it.

As for why fusion bothers me, one reason is that I could never get good at it. Another reason is due to the high level of experimentation involved, I prefer preset characters with detailed stories. Above all else though it is because my fusions sucked so much every time I tried, and for that reason I could not progress much in Nocturne. Kept dying even though I wanted to see the game to its end.

Top Bottom