• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One thing with dumping every stat bonus into strength is that every time a demon tries to arm wrestle me in a negotiation, the bitch loses.

I'm playing on normal and it feels like I'm a bit ahead of the curve. Before fighting
Nuwa
for the first time I kept having knock down drag out fights with Jatayu. I didn't manage to beat it at the time but it pumped me up a few levels and I managed to completely body
Loup-Garou
, which it sounds like other people have had problems with.

Never had an issue with that boss. It was long, but pretty easy to beat without any of my demons dying.

Still in that Second major area and slowly working my way forwards. Having fun gathering those little crystal cunts and exploring. I will say that I wish there were more “set pieces” in these areas as it feels very much repetitive and by the numbers as early as this second area. Supposedly there are at least two more major areas left?

But so far that is only a minor gripe with the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How does the demon compendium work? Do I have to register demons or is it done automatically? Then the only purpose is to pay macca to summon one if you want?
When you get new demon for first time it will register automatically but if they level up and get new skill you the one have to register.

Last edited:

Mercador

Got two questions:
1. I got Aogami essence, but I never saw that demon anywhere? I guess I should "consume" that essence right? Is essence is the only way to get new skill for the protagonist?
2. Is it best to get all skills from a demon before fusing it or it doesn't matter much? Because when I need a lower demon, I prefer just grabbing it back than using the compendium, it's way too expensive (I'm still at the beginning, 3 abseces down).

Danjin44

Got two questions:
1. I got Aogami essence, but I never saw that demon anywhere? I guess I should "consume" that essence right? Is essence is the only way to get new skill for the protagonist?
2. Is it best to get all skills from a demon before fusing it or it doesn't matter much? Because when I need a lower demon, I prefer just grabbing it back than using the compendium, it's way too expensive (I'm still at the beginning, 3 abseces down).
1. You get essence not from just demon themselves but also treasures you find in the map, you get miracle ability that lets you choose to get the skill or affinity from that essence and yes essence is only way MC gets new abilities and you get MC's (unique) abilities from Aogami essence.

2. That depends if Demon has a skill you want that gets when its level up then you keep it until it learns that skill then fuse it.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Yea the compendium was confusing to me as well, initially. Basically they automatically register. However, if you choose to manually register a demon, it registers it at the exact lvl and with the exact skills it has at the time you registered it, but it will obviously cost a lot more to resummon it this way. This seems to mostly be so you can continue to link skills a demon doesn't naturally have for future fusions.

Mercador

Yea the compendium was confusing to me as well, initially. Basically they automatically register. However, if you choose to manually register a demon, it registers it at the exact lvl and with the exact skills it has at the time you registered it, but it will obviously cost a lot more to resummon it this way. This seems to mostly be so you can continue to link skills a demon doesn't naturally have for future fusions.
Yeah, when you register, just be sure that you haven't a lower level demon of the same type otherwise you'll overwrite the higher level that you had registered before. It happens to me in P4 so I remember ;)

I beat the demon at the tower, it said it's now available for fusion but I don't see it, I guess I don't have the demons required to summon that one right?

Danjin44

I beat the demon at the tower, it said it's now available for fusion but I don't see it, I guess I don't have the demons required to summon that one right?
Yeah it seems they only appear in special fusion if you have at least one of the demon thats needed for the fusion.

killatopak

The most noticeable performance issue for me is just the menu taking a bit of time to load and choppy on the first half of a second. Otherwise, everything else is fine or tolerable. There might be some close pop-in of foliage and stuff but most of the time, it isn’t noticeable. Playing exclusively on portable mode.

First ten hours, when I was reloading save files, there were times when I thought the game locked up during loading since the loading bar stops moving and I exit the game and reopen it. Turns out it isn’t really frozen and I just have to wait it out for a few seconds more for it to resume moving.

cireza

No issues yet. I'm at the second boss though.
If you don't see the performance issues in handheld mode, then good for you. But people should not pick up the game thinking handheld is somehow miraculous when compared to TV. It is certainly not the case.

Game is fantastic otherwise, but that's another subject.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
If you don't see the performance issues in handheld mode, then good for you. But people should not pick up the game thinking handheld is somehow miraculous when compared to TV. It is certainly not the case.

Game is fantastic otherwise, but that's another subject.
If you own a switch there's no reason not to pick it up.

Mercador

Yeah it seems they only appear in special fusion if you have at least one of the demon thats needed for the fusion.
Does the special fusions got something really special? I see that I'll be able to a upped Pixie in a few levels but I don't see why they are in a different category?

Danjin44

Does the special fusions got something really special? I see that I'll be able to a upped Pixie in a few levels but I don't see why they are in a different category?
In some SMT Pixie evolves to High Pixie but in others she is special fusion using normal Pixie as one of the fusion material. Alice also made through special fusion.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
It's interesting that they seem to have shifted some of the late game demons around. Yoshitsune being a regular fusion when you get into the 40s level wise suggests he's not going to be such an absolute beast in this.

Danjin44

It's interesting that they seem to have shifted some of the late game demons around. Yoshitsune being a regular fusion when you get into the 40s level wise suggests he's not going to be such an absolute beast in this.
In most mainline SMT his not that high level, in Persona his around 79 I think.

killatopak

Just got past shipping container boss.

I died more times on mobs than bosses so far. Mainly due to them having rng first turn and then I’d get hit with Nahobino weak element. Invest in vitality is my advice.

Sakura

I got this but what's different between special and regular fusion?
Special has stricter requirements but gives you more powerful demons.

is everyone fighting EVERY demon that appears? not gonna lie it's getting a bit tedious. i could ignore them but i'm worried i won't be strong enough for tough enemies/bosses.

say there are 4 demons visibile. each one i fight usually has 2-3 demons in the battle. do i need to fight every demon or can i just skip some of them?
Personally I just avoid all demons until I get to a boss or forced encounter and I am not strong enough to beat it. Then I just grind some levels around the save point, fuse demons, etc.
You get more XP if the enemies are higher level than you, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to fight demons that are weaker than you.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
At the first major boss. Enjoying this more finally. Probably 100x better than Persona, which I personally do not enjoy. Since half the appeal is the art in this game, the series really suffered in my opinion on 3ds. Its still a grind but at least collecting demons is pretty entertaining when they all look amazing. I like the vague religious war story too.

MudoSkills

Most demons will run away from you in the field when your level is too high above theirs. Some of them are always up for a fight, which is funny.

Nico_D

Third area now. Getting seriously difficult now and I'm on normal. Some regular encounters are armed with pretty heavy hits and debuffs are flying from left and right. I'd say harder than Nocturne.

Oh, I kinda like the story. It is pretty brutal.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Third area now. Getting seriously difficult now and I'm on normal. Some regular encounters are armed with pretty heavy hits and debuffs are flying from left and right. I'd say harder than Nocturne.

Oh, I kinda like the story. It is pretty brutal.
Out of curiosity... How long did it take you to get to that part on normal? I'm 50 hours in and just started the third area, have like 3 teleporters unlocked.

Mercador

Special has stricter requirements but gives you more powerful demons.
Thanks, currently level 17, will get a nice new set of demons at level 18. I had a quest to collect horns but I destroy the abcese before getting all horns, will I miss that one?

Danjin44

I finally encounter that Werewolf.
supernatural-french.gif

My progress is slow compare to others here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
First boss seems too strong for me still. Guess the options are build a team strong in fire resist, grind levels more, or I dont know.

Do dampeners just last for 1 turn or 1 attack?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I finally encounter that Werewolf.
supernatural-french.gif

My progress is slow compare to others here.
I think it has to do with the difficulty. Playong on hard feels really slow sometimes, but also very rewarding.

First boss seems too strong for me still. Guess the options are build a team strong in fire resist, grind levels more, or I dont know.

Do dampeners just last for 1 turn or 1 attack?
1 turn I think. An icon appears over your party when you use a dampener, so you can check it.

For that boss I used

Nahobino (bufu and rakunda, also aramasa for the turn when everything is critical)
Angel for the group healing
Daemon for the fire resist (with bufu and rakunda)
Moonman (with bufu)

Hope this helps. For me the most useful was the Angel, couldn't have done it without him. You could also have more buffs, debuffs, like tarunda to go safer or tarukaja to go faster.

Also try to guard when the poison is about to hit (when he starts gathering magatsuhi). At least on older games guarding helps preventing statuls ailments, so it shoul help.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Also, not quite understanding essence fusion. I have a mermaid weak to fire. If I essence fuse it with a onmoraki I thought it would then be half resistant to fire but it doesn't seem to work.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think it has to do with the difficulty. Playong on hard feels really slow sometimes, but also very rewarding.

1 turn I think. An icon appears over your party when you use a dampener, so you can check it.

For that boss I used

Nahobino (bufu and rakunda, also aramasa for the turn when everything is critical)
Moonman (with bufu)

Hope this helps. For me the most useful was the Angel, couldn't have done it without him. You could also have more buffs, debuffs, like tarunda to go safer or tarukaja to go faster.

Also try to guard when the poison is about to hit (when he starts gathering magatsuhi). At least on older games guarding helps preventing statuls ailments, so it shoul help.
I need another daemon I guess. Used him to make a turdak. I have the angel and sandman also.

TintoConCasera

Also, not quite understanding essence fusion. I have a mermaid weak to fire. If I essence fuse it with a onmoraki I thought it would then be half resistant to fire but it doesn't seem to work.
When talking about demons, essence fusion is only useful for sharing Skills. Take a look at my previous posts, I'm recommending you a demon with bufu which wouldn't have it normally, but you can get by first picking that demon, and then choosing an essence that has bufu.

Nahobino works the same way for skills, but you also can change his affinities. For example, you coukd give hin the daemon essence to make it ressistant to fire... Although I don't know if you have unlocked that yet.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
When talking about demons, essence fusion is only useful for sharing Skills. Take a look at my previous posts, I'm recommending you a demon with bufu which wouldn't have it normally, but you can get by first picking that demon, and then choosing an essence that has bufu.

Nahobino works the same way for skills, but you also can change his affinities. For example, you coukd give hin the daemon essence to make it ressistant to fire... Although I don't know if you have unlocked that yet.
I see. I've transferred skills already. Guess I got that confused with affinity. Some of the text was strange because I have had skill transfer for a while and thought I got something else. Oh well guess I'll do that later.

Actually, I do have affinity transfer. It just only allows me to do that on the main character. I was trying to do that on other demons.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I see. I've transferred skills already. Guess I got that confused with affinity. Some of the text was strange because I have had skill transfer for a while and thought I got something else. Oh well guess I'll do that later.
Yeah I got a bit confused with the essence system at the start, but later on you'll see how useful it can get. This might be the most flexible system ever on an SMT game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
At the first major boss. Enjoying this more finally. Probably 100x better than Persona, which I personally do not enjoy. Since half the appeal is the art in this game, the series really suffered in my opinion on 3ds. Its still a grind but at least collecting demons is pretty entertaining when they all look amazing. I like the vague religious war story too.
Mermaid has that perfect skill for that first boss. One thing to note is that 1main skill will go away while the other skills are inherited. So you lose an AoE attack that was unique to a demon during a fusion, but you get their other attacks.

Danjin44

For that boss I used

Moonman (with bufu)

I beat him when I was level 13 on hard,

I think I used:
Nohobino with ice and Rakunda skill
Mermaid for Ice skill but when I had 1 or 2 press turn I just get her to guard
Angel for healing my party
Leanan Sidhe she joined me when I done her quests.

TintoConCasera

I beat him when I was level 13 on hard,

I think I used:
Nohobino with ice and Rakunda skill
Mermaid for Ice skill but when I had 1 or 2 press turn I just get her to guard
Angel for healing my party
Leanan Sidhe she joined me when I done her quests.
Ah man, I didn't have Leanan... I went with Apsaras (the other one) just because her fight looked too hard for me at the moment. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Mercador

How special attacks work? With the talisman thing? It seems only some of my demons can trigger those, will it stay for a complete round or just the end of the current round? Thanks!

Danjin44

How special attacks work? With the talisman thing? It seems only some of my demons can trigger those, will it stay for a complete round or just the end of the current round? Thanks!
So far from I can understand each special attack is based on the Demons's race, so if you get Talisman for Jirae race then you unlock the special attack for that group of race.

Mercador

So far from I can understand each special attack is based on the Demons's race, so if you get Talisman for Jirae race then you unlock the special attack for that group of race.
But say, it's the 3rd to play, if I hit the special, will it do a full turn or it will stay until the end of the current turn? Guess some aren't tied to the turn at all.

Danjin44

But say, it's the 3rd to play, if I hit the special, will it do a full turn or it will stay until the end of the current turn? Guess some aren't tied to the turn at all.
So let me confirm this, when you are talking about "special attack", you are talking about Magatsuhi skill right? If we are then that entirely depends on the skill.

MudoSkills

I like the hints that Da'at is the same Tokyo that was destroyed in Nocturne. The fact that the destruction happened 18 years ago, and the fact that the Black Frost at the start of the third area says that he used to be the emperor of Kabukicho, referencing one of the events in Nocturne.

I have the Demi-Fiend DLC, and him being around tracks with the ending to Nocturne where the world doesn't get remade.

Danjin44

I like the hints that Da'at is the same Tokyo that was destroyed in Nocturne. The fact that the destruction happened 18 years ago, and the fact that the Black Frost at the start of the third area says that he used to be the emperor of Kabukicho, referencing one of the events in Nocturne.

I have the Demi-Fiend DLC, and him being around tracks with the ending to Nocturne where the world doesn't get remade.
Also the fact we have same type of terminal from Nocturne in other Tokyo.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Idk how I forgot the Amala drum, haha.

Also, my go to tactic for any new area is just to run off like a madman and find the abscesses. I really don't like trying to explore with the map obscured.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm not that far into this, but I'm kind of in love with the wide linear structure of this game. It's a HUGE change of pace from the earlier SMT games with their limited overworlds and right angled dungeons.

It actually captures a lot of what I like about Breath of the Wild, just on a smaller scale. Like you have these difficult progress walls and an open area to explore and work your way up to. Exploring is rewarding, there's a ton to find, and the story is able to get out of the way during these parts.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not that far into this, but I'm kind of in love with the wide linear structure of this game. It's a HUGE change of pace from the earlier SMT games with their limited overworlds and right angled dungeons.

It actually captures a lot of what I like about Breath of the Wild, just on a smaller scale. Like you have these difficult progress walls and an open area to explore and work your way up to. Exploring is rewarding, there's a ton to find, and the story is able to get out of the way during these parts.
It does add a lot. The bulk of the game is just a gauntlet of battles. But it's actually a nice change of pace to roam around and look for those little collectible guys, with light platforming. I'm enjoying the game more than I expected, and I'm definitely glad I got it now.

Top Bottom