• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami, creator of the Resident Evil franchise, hopes the rumored Resident Evil 4 remake will "make the story better."

Fake

Resident Evil 4 has long been rumored to be getting a remake, and the original game’s creator wants to see it improve on his story, which he says he was forced to write in just three weeks..

“It would be great if Capcom could do a great job and make the story better,” he added, “and put out a good product.”

Mikami – who created the Resident Evil series, directed and wrote Resident Evil 4, and left Capcom in 2007 – revealed that he wrote the Resident Evil 4 story in just three weeks. According to the former Capcom director, this was out of necessity more than anything. It seems he's less happy with that narrative than the game itself.

Last edited:
The RE4 story is charming, for all the wrong reasons -- it's nonsensical, it's campy, it's weird, and full of corny (but still funny) one-liners.

Hope they don't change that too much. Look what happened with REmake: it's infinitely less charming than the original RE1 (even if it's obviously the better game).

RE4 won't stop existing if they change up the remake
This is a tired, obvious argument that adds nothing to the discussion.

Note that I said they shouldn't change it "too much." Not that they shouldn't change some story things at all. But the problem is that, as Capcom has shown in the remakes of three straight Resident Evil games, the story is worse in the remake than in the original game.

Yoboman

This is a tired, obvious argument that adds nothing to the discussion.

Note that I said they shouldn't change it "too much." Not that they shouldn't change some story things at all. But the problem is that, as Capcom has shown in the remakes of three straight Resident Evil games, the story is worse in the remake than in the original game.
I thought RE4 had a really weak story. I wish the whole game had the mysterious intensity of the first half but as soon as they started introducing the antagonists it became a bit cringe

Happy for them to change it up, though Capcom is hardly known for delivering a good narrative anyway

I thought RE4 had a really weak story. I wish the whole game had the mysterious intensity of the first half but as soon as they started introducing the antagonists it became a bit cringe

Happy for them to change it up, though Capcom is hardly known for delivering a good narrative anyway
Your last sentence hits the nail in the head. Even as big of a Capcom fan as I am, I (like you) don't trust them with good stories in Resident Evil games.

And to be clear, I am less focused on plot and more on tone. Each remake has tried to get more "serious" than the original game. And a lot is lost in the process.

Here they will have a hard job. Salazar is an iconic RE4 villain; remove him and fans of the game will flip out. But then... How do you change the story around him and how do you make him "serious?" Salazar is a 4-foot tall literal man-child who's wearing a colonial-era outfit and owns a giant castle. It's impossible to take him seriously. How do you even try to change the tone on that? 😂

Last edited:

Yoboman

Your last sentence hits the nail in the head. Even as big of a Capcom fan as I am, I (like you) don't trust them with good stories in Resident Evil games.

And to be clear, I am less focused on plot and more on tone. Each remake has tried to get more "serious" than the original game. And a lot is lost in the process.

Here they will have a hard job. Salazar is an iconic RE4 villain; remove him and fans of the game will flip out. But then... How do you change the story around him and how do you make him "serious?" Salazar is a 4-foot tall literal man-child who's wearing a colonial-era outfit and owns a giant castle. It's impossible to take him seriously. How do you even try to change the tone on that? 😂
I think they can change him up. Its hard enough to take a dwarf seriously but then he's got a child like voice with a bad Spanish accent too

If he had a bit more of a grounded vibe it could still work

Saber

Gold Member
I agree and hope it's true, the story itself is way too corny(and cheesy like an action movie) for it's own good. And maybe change to be a true survival horror too, the game is more like an action shooter than a RE.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Probably you will play as Ashley more, as seperate DLC as hide and seek thriller.

DavidGzz

No matter what, people will bitch, so they may as well modernize it. Devs shouldn't be afraid to piss off the old school players, they will buy it either way. They pissed off the RE3 fans and gave me my favorite RE game with the best replay value so I have faith it will be great.

Huh, this doesn't sound like him, does it? Remember this?

"The only thing I can tell you now is biohazard 4 will definitely release only on the GameCube, not on another console, if it happens, I will commit seppuku"

While I do generally like RE4, I don't like to put it on a pedestal like most fans do. I consider RE5 to have better ties to the series in terms of the plot, than 4 yields. Yet for some reason, 5 is detested by some of the community. Even though they're both action games, that just have some horror elements. RE5 is practically similar to 4, and RE6 feels like more of a RE game, giving how it has zombies, and a city is involved in America and Asia. But meh. Absolutely nobody besides one guy I know on another forum, seems to like 6.

I don't really like a lot of the new storylines the franchise offers up today, to be honest. I saw RE4 as the game that really got the ball rolling on the ridiculous trash that Capcom tried to shove down our throats in later years, even though 4 wasn't really directly responsible, per se. It was that change towards action oriented gameplay, however, that buggered things up.

The remakes generally disappointed me. I didn't like how the RE2 remake had tons of cut content, yet it was glazed over, and then a lot of people didn't like RE3 at all. But in my opinion, the remake of RE2 had sinned by leaving out certain story aspects, enemies and areas. Yet that's a game that a lot of people openly support.

Another reason I am iffy about RE4 and also RE8 is again, the emphasis on guns. And I think having these corny merchants is silly in any case. Nobody could get that stuff around unnoticed, or worse yet, not stolen. You see? This is mechanics that I think are suited to an action game, and not ideas that's meant to be in a creepy game where you are supposed to find things by yourself, like Joel and Ellie do it in The Last of Us, even when they meet Bill. It actually creates the opposite feeling. But yes. The games are still GOOD...

I have no idea how the RE4 remake will turn out, but I hope it's a much more hardcore horror experience we will be provided. The original RE4 is vaporware when it comes to being scary, until you get to the later locations. Then it picks up a lot.

Xeaker

Are they gonna change camera perspective like in ME2?

resident_evil_4_ashley_crawling__3__by_allthestawf_d6w1nkl-pre.jpg

Elysion

Banned
They‘ll definitely change Ashley for the worse. She‘ll get a more boring outfit (just like the female protagonists in the last two remakes), and they‘ll probably make her more ‚tough‘ and ‚independent‘, so that she isn’t a ‚damsel in distress‘ anymore.

I have no idea what they‘ll do with Salazar though, lol. He‘s so ridiculous that they might as well just remove him from the game entirely.

I could see them making Saddler a scientist or something that thought he found a cure for cancer or something and ends up getting corrupted by las plagas.

Valt7786

RE to Code Veronica: Build up of taking down Umbrella.

RE4 opening: Umbrella got fucked up a few years ago or something IDK. This is a soft reboot to save the franchise.

Just go back to taking down Umbrella please. It was a simpler time.

Fucking this. All that build up with the characters finding a reason to take out Umbrella, 2 and 3's final lines all being about taking them down and then we get "lol stock market crash" in a text scroll at the beginning of 4, followed by all of 4's nonsense.
4 really should have been the main characters all meeting, getting seperated or heading to seperate facilities or something idk i'm no writer. But Leon and Jill have still never met, that's weird man.

The RE4 story is charming, for all the wrong reasons -- it's nonsensical, it's campy, it's weird, and full of corny (but still funny) one-liners.

Hope they don't change that too much. Look what happened with REmake: it's infinitely less charming than the original RE1 (even if it's obviously the better game).
I think REmake 2 Leon had just the right balance of camp and seriousness.

If anyone was written way too seriously, it was REmake 3 Jill. They played it too straight with her until the very final boss battle.

Last edited:
OG RE1 pretty much stopped existing once REmake came out as far as Capcom is concerned.
If I were to 'rewrite' history like Capcom, I also wouldn't want a poorly aged blocky PS1 game to be representative of the first entry of the series and I would instead show off REmake proudly.

Edit: Plus RE 4 original doesn't even have to worry about that. The game is still being ported to this day. It won't go away, just like the GTA trilogy.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
OG PS1 Res Evil was censored too. The JP intro for Biohazard has a lot more gore and Chris lights up a cigarette in his intro!

Knightime_X

If those two meet, Jill will inevitably fall in love with him, just like Ada, Claire, Ashley and Helena. Leon‘s harem is already large enough as it is.
I wanna see Jill and Ada banter over Leon.
Leon gets the wrong idea and both Ada and Jill are like... "uh wtf? No!"
Leon: "damnit...ok." >_>

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

More with this iconic, comic scene.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The story is a little cliche, I'll admit. But I had tons of fun with it.

I wouldn't mind if they left it exactly as it is.

I hope Capcom does a Code: Veronica remake too, as that's a very important entry. In fact, despite it not being a numbered sequel, it is the real sequel to RE2.

So well done with the logic, Capcom...

:messenger_hushed:

Top Bottom