• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami is leaving Tango Gameworks

LOL holy shit.

Xbox can't catch a break, man.

I'm not seeing how losing Mikami who was at Tango, is really much of a negative impact overall to Xbox or Bethesda. At least not to the extent as you display here.

We have a thread on this.

But I think people are jumping the gun here on the reason why Konami left. We don't know if he left on his own, MS "helped" him leave, or leadership at Tango wanted changes he didn't want or didn't involve him.

I'm sure he'll reveal the reason eventually.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I'm not seeing how losing Konami who was at Tango, is really much of a negative impact overall to Xbox or Bethesda. At least not to the extent as you display here.

We have a thread on this.

But I think people are jumping the gun here on the reason why Konami left. We don't know if he left on his own, MS "helped" him leave, or leadership at Tango wanted changes he didn't want or didn't involve him.

I'm sure he'll reveal the reason eventually.

Who is Konami?

I never understood this obsession with rockstar like following of japanese developers. We are not in the 80s anymore and games are made by teams larger than small armies.
Imo, I think because they were considered the “brains of the operation” and produced a multitude of great games that paved the way for many developers even to this day. There’s was a big following for non Japanese developers as well like John Carmack, Ed Boon, Cliffy B, David Jaffe, Warren Spectre, Gabe Newell, etc.

I never understood this obsession with rockstar like following of japanese developers. We are not in the 80s anymore and games are made by teams larger than small armies.

It's carry over from the hyperbole days with the gushing console magazine coverage of Japanese devs being pushed on most players (since computers were still growing at the time) from the end of the 80's and the early 90s.

If you were to name important developers outside of that most fans of those devs would think your crazy because they never or rarely here them mentioned since the console-leaning outlets were repeating the same set of names over and over year by year.

ToadMan

Great directors make great movies.

And games need the same - that’s why there are so few great games.

If a big team was all that was required, Halo Infinite would have been the greatest game ever made … so far.

near

Gold Member
People expecting a 58 years old man to

Well, afaik, M-Two is backed by Capcom, so it might have some sort of influence, time will tell.

Chances of him joining up with Tatsuya Minami at M-Two are high in my opinion. Apparently, Minami named the company M-Two as he intended it to be a joint venture between himself and Mikami, and it would be an easy transition for him to make from Tango. I just don't see him forming another studio again, nor going back to Platinum or Capcom.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This has been known for a while, he announced he was leaving last year.
But I guess he's done now?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Edit: Imagine him leaving to do Dino Crisis with Capcom, that’d be crazy. Very low chance though.
That's the first thing that came to my mind.

I mean, RE4 remake is already practically done, so what other "remake" he could be leaving for? Vanquish? Lol.

Fuck, it would be so awesome if Dino Crisis franchise would get a revival. Imagine all those raptors animated on the RE Engine.

20b77040b41395e427b7c561e0e4fbde.gif

coffinbirth

Or you can answer the question and I'll give you what ever response you're looking for...
"Imagine thinking he isn't taking a bunch of people with him..."

Imagine saying this without knowing the terms of his or others contracts.

"He sold the studio to Bethesda, fulfilled his contract, now he'll make another studio."

He sold the studio to Bethesda because they were about to go under. Think he'll be quick to do that again, eh?

"He might have a non-compete for 6-12 months, but he'll begin poaching and move towards another big pay day."

You clearly don't understand that his last "big pay day" in this regard was not having cancel The Evil Within and close his studio.

"Anyone who has any familiarity with him knew he wasn't going to stay at Bethesda long and certainly not after Microsoft bought it."

You guys besties???

"As a Japanese studio and Japanese developer, there was no way he was going to stay locked into Xbox."

I'm pretty sure PC is worldwide, bud.

"There's too much money on the table to retire."

Hyperbole of the highest order.

That's YOUR narrative, and I'm telling you it's bullshit.

AridUnderstatedCockerspaniel-max-1mb.gif

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Sad to see such a big name leave the studio, but I still believe there's a change Tango will make TEW3 or another new horror game (just make it more horror than Ghostwire).

Last edited:

Shut0wen

They don't need him at this point. Neither EW2 or Hi Fi Rush were directed or produced by him. John Johanas directed both and he is doing an amazing job.
Actually think this is the reason why hes leaving, he always said he wanted to start a new studio and find new talent which hes already done at this point if anything shinji had little faith in hi rush being picked up by bethesda according to john

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The real problem of those acquisitions is how to retain talent. Imagine Microsoft owning COD but losing the people who made the game what it is. It will be their next Halo.
Didn't the people who made CoD franchise what it is peace out for Respawn a long time ago?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Without Shinji, Tango is just another boring studio.
This is not how game development works. I mean yeah very rarely you get these writer/director auteurs like Kojima or David Cage, where their fingerprints are on everything the studio does, but Mikami isn't one of those people and never has been.

Mikami does work with a lot of the same people and he's brought people with him from Capcom to Platinum to Tango.

oldergamer

"He sold the studio to Bethesda, fulfilled his contract, now he'll make another studio."

He sold the studio to Bethesda because they were about to go under. Think he'll be quick to do that again, eh?

"He might have a non-compete for 6-12 months, but he'll begin poaching and move towards another big pay day."

You clearly don't understand that his last "big pay day" in this regard was not having cancel The Evil Within and close his studio.

"Anyone who has any familiarity with him knew he wasn't going to stay at Bethesda long and certainly not after Microsoft bought it."

You guys besties???

"As a Japanese studio and Japanese developer, there was no way he was going to stay locked into Xbox."

This pretty much sums up the thread. A whole lot of people jumping. to assumptions. Not a single person here has any clue. For all we know he is retiring and made good money long enough to do it early. I doubt he is leaving because xbox has little market share in japan. The console market there has been dying for years.

It was sad when he departed from Capcom. I feel like RE kind of went down the shitter after he was gone. Since he has been away from the franchise completely, Capcom has put out some crappy games that have tarnished the integrity of the series. Not all the time, but RE was still never the same after 2005.

You guys besties???

This pretty much sums up the thread. A whole lot of people jumping. to assumptions. Not a single person here has any clue. For all we know he is retiring and made good money long enough to do it early. I doubt he is leaving because xbox has little market share in japan. The console market there has been dying for years.

I'll bet my account against yours that he isn't done making games.

There's more money in selling studios than ever before in the industry. That's just a fact. There is big money swirling the industry now. That you don't realize that is pretty stunning. Kojima said that he's been turning down RIDICULOUS offers.

He has a track record of not staying. I don't need to know him personally to observe that.

There is also a large penchant in the Japanese industry of forging your own way these days and not being tied down by a company. It's also well documented that many Japanese workers don't like western style management.

So not only is being locked into Xbox bad, but PC gaming is not nearly as big in Japan as it is in the west.

Microsoft has been in the console business since 2000. Why haven't they had any success with building Japanese staff base? Oh, you think they never thought of it?

Like, there's not a single thing that I said that was hyperbole here.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Why? Name one better know dev for whom this actually worked out.

Here's me hoping he joins M-Two and does contract work for Capcom.

People expecting a 58 years old man to

Well, afaik, M-Two is backed by Capcom, so it might have some sort of influence, time will tell.

Chances of him joining up with Tatsuya Minami at M-Two are high in my opinion. Apparently, Minami named the company M-Two as he intended it to be a joint venture between himself and Mikami, and it would be an easy transition for him to make from Tango. I just don't see him forming another studio again, nor going back to Platinum or Capcom.

Agreed. M-Two sounds more likely than anything.

Top Bottom