• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit games You like

is this thread a good idea?

• yes

Votes: 189 68.0%
  • no

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • get a life

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters

mcjmetroid

I love playing spelunker on the NES. Depending on who you ask it's one of the worst games ever or use of the funniest games ever.

It's a really badly designed big standard platformer where literally anything can kill you. Tats what makes it so funny.

SpiceRacz

51pJV8K%2BFCL.jpg

Not a great game by any means, but I loved every minute of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Archon II. Old ass. But I liked playing it because you could beat the dumb as bricks AI. The original game was much better.

The enemy AI wasn't great to start (except that it cheated using the wraith and adepts had laser accurate guided missile fireballs), but it's biggest failing was there was a bug where it would keep summoning the shitty and costly juggernaut where probably 50% of their summons were this some reason. Jugs were the easiest enemies to kill. People bring it up in Google too.

The left side (green) was much better too. Half the units were the same on both sides, but the different ones like Behemoth and Siren were the best cheap units to buy. Sirens for guaranteed damage inflicted and Behemoth punching power you use hiding around corners in the green area. Spam these against enemy wizards. Two punches were enough.

You can see the green side list of summons in the image. All you had to do is spam the bottom three over and over again when needed. The list goes from most costly (top) to cheapest (bottom).

I remember reading a length gamefaqs (I think) article, and I totally agree with his monster rating. Ifrits and Thunderbird were the best all around monsters to summon. And cheap too. And I agreed as well that a gorgon (though costly) had its uses too. Most other monsters were pointless.

Good idea for a game, but arguably the worst monster balance I've ever played in a game. The jug bug was bad too.

v6xfaSq.jpg

Last edited:

Bankai

Some really "bad" couch-multiplayer games I really like:
- Wrecked (PS3)
- Mashed (Xbox)
- Kung Fu Panda (PS4)
- Trine 1, 2, 3, and 4 (PS4)
- and I love Playstation All-stars :messenger_heart: , even though it gets a lot of hate.

But I gotta admit, it's mainly because of the fun I'm having with family/friends.

Kev Kev

This doesn’t exactly count as a shit game, but it’s at least half a shit game imo

no mans sky

it’s good for what it is, but omfg can it be absolutely stupid and annoying, not to mention bugs, crashes and glitches, pop up graphics and other technical issues. I find myself getting so mad at the devs when playing nms. I say at least 5 times per sessions “what were you thinking!?” Or “are you fucking kidding me!?” Or “why make every little thing a chore!? Why is this game getting in the way of itself constantly?”

I still love the game tho and it’s especially amazing in vr

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Finally got Daymare 1998 the other day. First impressions?

So far it's been great, rock-solid 25 fps at 900p on PS5.

Went in "90's mode" which introduces a reloading mechanic that is guaranteed to get you killed, not sure which 90's game they were referring to, I've never seen anything like it.

So it did get me killed and the game reloaded with about 30% of geometry.

lJ44fK5.jpg

Basically, floors and walls missing, collision missing making you fall through the level... That also broke the save file, reloading a checkpoint or restarting changed nothing.

I was trying to push through, somehow made it all the way to a puzzle where you're actually required to see shit on, in my case, missing scenery objects.

So I started over, on EASY (no deaths allowed) - now almost in Act 3.

Perfect shit game if you're an RE fan, 3/10.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Finally got Daymare 1998 the other day. First impressions?

So far it's been great, rock-solid 25 fps at 900p on PS5.

Went in "90's mode" which introduces a reloading mechanic that is guaranteed to get you killed, not sure which 90's game they were referring to, I've never seen anything like it.

So it did get me killed and the game reloaded with about 30% of geometry.

lJ44fK5.jpg

Basically, floors and walls missing, collision missing making you fall through the level... That also broke the save file, reloading a checkpoint or restarting changed nothing.

I was trying to push through, somehow made it all the way to a puzzle where you're actually required to see shit on, in my case, missing scenery objects.

So I started over, on EASY (no deaths allowed) - now almost in Act 3.

Perfect shit game if you're an RE fan, 3/10.
A friend of mine is a huge fan of Resi games and he actually platinumed this thing. I don't know how he did it considering how rough and unpolished this game can be.

Tschumi

Red Faction 2 :D

It got better - like, the graphics, level design, plot, everything - the further u progressed into the story :p

I actually found the story to be pretty comprehensible and fun, hunting down backstabbers with some pretty iconic weapons. Some nice set pieces too, and the exosuit is pretty fun to walk around in

ImgW.ashx

Not bad at all but sitting at 54 on Metacritics. I actually love the series.
i expected u to link ME:A :0

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Red Faction 2 :D

It got better - like, the graphics, level design, plot, everything - the further u progressed into the story :p

I actually found the story to be pretty comprehensible and fun, hunting down backstabbers with some pretty iconic weapons. Some nice set pieces too, and the exosuit is pretty fun to walk around in

i expected u to link ME:A :0

ME:A is 9/10 to me after the final patch (still performance issues and glitches are there but bearable). Mentioned Knack because the Meta is just too low IMHO, lower than ME:A.

PS Tschumi Tschumi I think Mass Effect fans had the TLOU2 treat with Shepard, maybe that's one of the major drives behind the massive hate + glitches. I myself never played any MA game before it, nor interested in the Legendary BS.

Last edited:

fatmarco

ME:A is 9/10 to me after the final patch (still performance issues and glitches are there but bearable). Mentioned Knack because the Meta is just too low IMHO, lower than ME:A.

PS Tschumi Tschumi I think Mass Effect fans had the TLOU2 treat with Shepard, maybe that's one of the major drives behind the massive hate + glitches. I myself never played any MA game before it, nor interested in the Legendary BS.

Andromeda is 9/10 gameplay wise, not story or character wise.

jigglet

Banned
Objectively bad games: can’t think of many off the top of my head.

Subjectively bad games: No More Heroes. I can see why many might hate it but I love it.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Top gun : Fire at Will for the PS1

I played through this entire game and thought it was pretty decent but it got 4 or 5 out of 10’s at the time from gaming mags. What they said they cared about (plane physics and steering) I really didn’t care about as I just liked shooting missiles and blowing up stuff.

I can probably go into my past with the snes and nes to find more but that one stuck out to me first.

.....actually before I go, back to the future part 1 and 2 for the nes. That game was an absolute dumpster fire, but my mom actually rented this game and brought it home for me 3 times just because “I liked BttF” and she kept forgetting that I said the game sucked from last time. At this point it was either play that game or play one of my owned games ive beaten a 100 times. I learned to love it and can still remember where some of the items are in the BttF2 part to this day.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Thought of another one: Dynasty Warriors DS
80cfe456d7ab8cd288515484bf4a925d.jpg

Not a pretty game (but really cool music). It was actually my first Warriors game, and I had no real clue what I was doing at first. But once I got the general hang of things, I kinda had a lot of fun with it. It was more silly, arcadey nonsense that I got a lot of hours out of. Money well spent in my book. :D

Last edited:

Bridges

uE2xqHL.jpg

Spore was my shit for years, I feel like if it had come out without those previous demos setting expectations too high then it'd be remembered more fondly. Servers are down now which is a massive bummer, I'd love to see someone try something like this again.

shit games you like,..... hmmm , either the op is a genius , out to pickle brains with a unsolvable conundrum, or he's not really thought about the question posed.

maybe i am too deep?

either way , can't think of one... don't know why...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Turbo Pro Racing/Rapid Racer. Game got grilled in reviews for shitty stiff controls and your boat hitting the sides of the track like a car racing game, but I enjoyed it for its 60 fps gameplay. I dont now how many 60 fps racers there were on PS1 (can't be many), so for pure eye candy it was decent.

The game felt like driving a car and constantly hitting potholes.

Last edited:

Kao The Kangaroo

Neo Member
I really enjoy playing many weird simulators like Mech Mechanic Simulator or Cooking Simulator, where you have to do really weird tasks in terms of gaming. It's just really calming to me.

LMJ

The problem with threads such as this is subjectivity creates confusion... That old adage "one man's trash is another's treasure" and such lol

When I think of shit tier games I think of

Sonic Boom
Bubsy 3D
Troll and I
Life of Black Tiger
Mortal Kombat and Toystory on the Gameboy lol

Games that had atrocious budgets, controls, no direction etc

Roni

Gold Member
According to NeoGAF:

• MGSV
  • Death Stranding
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Days Gone
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Outer Worlds
And others...

But on topic, for a game I myself recognize as unpolished, I'd have to agree with the lot who brought up Alpha Protocol. Game needed more cash behind it...

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
As a major OG Silent Hill series fan, (yes, even the Room!) I have to say that out of all the attempts from third party devs to make a decent SH game, this one certainly came the closest.

Were some of the sections over done and janky? Sure. Did the chase sequences just get tedious and frustrating? Yup.

But they definitely got the atmosphere bang on and the game play was very reminiscent of SHs golden PS1/PS2 era.

Actually this post this has made me jump in for another run!
I agree with Downpour being the most "Silent Hill game" made by western devs.
Shattered Memories was a genuinely good game too, although somewhat tame for Silent Hill. It is also a lot different compared to other games in the series and plays off more like a PG-13 or Rated R thriller. I like the rendition of Silent Hill's 1 plot (especially compared to the movie) although I would've preferred a unique story, which originally was planned.

Origins was decent but nothing special and Homecoming was just awful.

Bartski

Gold Member
According to NeoGAF:

• MGSV
  • Death Stranding
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Days Gone
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Outer Worlds

The problem with threads such as this is subjectivity creates confusion... That old adage "one man's trash is another's treasure" and such lol

lol yeah... the thread was meant to be a kind of comedic relief in the middle of that MLB shitstorm, focused on objectively horrible, impossible to recommend games that inhabitants of GAF subjectively found entertaining, for weird, personal reasons. Not to shit on some ok but flawed meta ~ 70 games but to throw a spotlight on the true avant-garde. Happy to see so many got the joke

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Last gen/next gen gaming is more of my wife's interest. With retro games there are a few I've played and liked that others have called shyte.

Bubble Bobble NES
High Seas Havoc mega drive
Itchy & Scratchy game SNES
Gex: Enter the Gecko PS1 version
Star Wars Episode 1: Jedi Power Battles

BigBooper

220px-TheScoopMSDOSTitleScreen.png

The Scoop for MS Dos. This game is really bad. There's an overall time limit where if you don't solve everything in time, it's game over. The puzzles are mostly obtuse and boring, and the story is pretty boring too. Something about it just made me keep coming back though, and I have no good reasons why.

Shubh_C63

good pick you do have excellent shit taste

logo.png

my pick
I didn't had any games and Witcher 3 copy was still shipping in 2 days.
This was the first game I downloaded on my first console ever (PS4). I think I reached till 2nd transcension gods something.

poor thing is still in my library.

Laptop1991

I'm going back 20 years here, but i enjoyed Daikatana at the time, the game got awful press and a bad reputation, but i thought it was a good game and had fun with it.

skit_data

Trespasser (1998)

IyWFvDJ.jpg

Played this as a kid and I loved it. Still love the idea of it. I would really like to see a complete remake of it, this is one of those games that desperately needs a big budget remake.
The physics were beyond anything at the time and would pretty much remain unsurpassed until Half-Life 2. The only problem though: The physics were at times completely broken and would result in all kinds of crazy stuff. Dinosaur AI was also completely lackluster, but it was interestingly enough still a little bit scary by them behaving completely inconsistent.
Still think its a good game, the ambition was there to make one of the most groundbreaking games ever, but due to budget restraints and running out of time the game had to be released half baked, technically broken and didn’t deliver on it’s promise.

I have no idea how my parents PC could run it, considering it was just an average crappy one they used for work, but it did.

The game has an interesting history, I saw a guy on youtube making a lets play as well as a short clip on its history:

And of course, AVGN has made an episode on it that I consider one of his GOAT:

Last edited:
Top Bottom