• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

silentstorm

I also don't like how the update took ages to come for the PC, seriously, the PS4 had exclusive content for years while the PC version didn't get anything, had some bugs and the developer was basically gone for years, but i am guessing that now that there is a Switch version they suddenly remember "Oh yeah, we also launched it on PC, didn't we?" and are only now talking.

I mean, i don't mind a game not getting updated, if it's finished, it's finished, but giving more content to one system and leaving a bugged version(to be fair, still playable)with less content in another without saying anything is not a good way for a developer to look good to me.

At least say something, Blue Revolver is having an update that is taking a long time to release, but last i recall, the developer actually stepped down to apologize and say something a few times, and what's there is already a good shump with no noticeable bugs.

silentstorm

Man, Blue Revolver was great. Haven't heard a peep about the revamped version in forever, though.
They said there were some troubles in their life and with the development a few times, but they assured it's coming...don't know if it really is coming anytime soon but to be fair, what they released was already great.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
For those who didn't want to import, two versions of the Darius Cozmic collection coming to the West:

Two different collections, differences described down below:

Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade includes 4 different arcade titles in 7 versions:
  • DARIUS (old version)
    • DARIUS (new version)
    • DARIUS (extra version)
    • DARIUS II (dual screen version)
    • SAGAIA (Ver. 1)
    • SAGAIA (Ver. 2)
    • DARIUS GAIDEN
The Arcade Edition will come with a unique DARIUS enamel pin badge.
Darius Cozmic Collection Console includes 6 different console titles in 9 versions:
  • DARIUS II (Mega Drive JP version)
    • SAGAIA (Genesis version)
    • SAGAIA (Master System EU version)
    • DARIUS TWIN (Super Famicom JP version)
    • DARIUS TWIN (Super NES US version)
    • DARIUS FORCE (Super Famicom JP version)
    • SUPER NOVA (Super NES US version)
    • DARIUS ALPHA (PC Engine JP version)
    • DARIUS PLUS (PC Engine JP version)
The Console Edition will come with a unique SAGAIA enamel pin badge.
---
IMO unless you have nostalgia for the console releases, the Arcade version is the one to get. Darius Gaiden alone is worth the price of admission IMO.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
For those who didn't want to import, two versions of the Darius Cozmic collection coming to the West:

Two different collections, differences described down below:

Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade includes 4 different arcade titles in 7 versions:

• DARIUS (old version)
    • DARIUS (new version)
    • DARIUS (extra version)
    • DARIUS II (dual screen version)
    • SAGAIA (Ver. 1)
    • SAGAIA (Ver. 2)
    • DARIUS GAIDEN
The Arcade Edition will come with a unique DARIUS enamel pin badge.
Darius Cozmic Collection Console includes 6 different console titles in 9 versions:

• DARIUS II (Mega Drive JP version)
    • SAGAIA (Genesis version)
    • SAGAIA (Master System EU version)
    • DARIUS TWIN (Super Famicom JP version)
    • DARIUS TWIN (Super NES US version)
    • DARIUS FORCE (Super Famicom JP version)
    • SUPER NOVA (Super NES US version)
    • DARIUS ALPHA (PC Engine JP version)
    • DARIUS PLUS (PC Engine JP version)
The Console Edition will come with a unique SAGAIA enamel pin badge.
---
IMO unless you have nostalgia for the console releases, the Arcade version is the one to get. Darius Gaiden alone is worth the price of admission IMO.

Preorders are about to open up in 10 minutes. Get you funds ready.

I'm looking to get a PS4 big box edition. Hope it isn't going to be a bloodbath.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
JTbF0Lt.png

ftmWcXl.gif

Not too bad. Still some PS4 editions left. Switch version sold out in the first few minutes :O

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've had my eye on this for awhile, so I'm happy it's getting a physical release.

(Aggro Sky / Shmup Master knows his stuff)

Last edited:

Nixonomics

Guys, have any of you played Nex Machina yet? It's a brilliant bullet hell.

Nex Machina is incredible. It's a shame we won't be getting any more arcade games from Housemarque. Going for score in Nex Machina is such an experience with you managing not only survival but also memorization of all the secret exits/beacons/humans while pacing your human pick ups to keep your multiplier going. I think it also works as a great introduction to arcade games for players who haven't had much experience with them. I can't recommend it enough.

I finally got around to playing Crimzon Clover for the first time recently and god damn is it fun. Determined to get that normal arcade 1CC.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sorry for a double-post, but this video came into my feed:

Anyone have their eye on this? I picked up the regular PS4 version of ESP Rade Psi, not the special edition. That art-book is pretty sweet.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm ringing in the New Year with ESP Rade Ψ. I've played the arcade version a few times via MAME. Now I finally own it via M2's PS4 port which arrived in the mail today.

Blew through the Super Easy Mode in one credit to get a feel for the characters. My favorite is still the middle kid who has a wide Shot and a narrow Pierce attack. The regular Arcade mode crushed me on the second stage. Good thing there are a lot of practice tools included in these M2 ports.

Scoring system is unique but easy to grasp (the perfect combo imo). Killing enemies with your main shot increases your multiplier. The player's Pierce shot is a more powerful -- but limited -- burst that "sticks" on the enemy with some delayed explosions, similar to the explosion in Missile Command. If you kill an enemy with your main Shot while they still have some Pierce explosions stuck to them, it results in a bigger multiplier and drops more Power cubes, which levels up the main attack. Killing enemies with your Pierce shot isn't bad per se but it doesn't let you rack up as high of a combo. The timing goes like this: weaken with Shot > paint with Pierce > quickly kill with Shot while Pierce bubbles are still there.

You don't have a "bomb", but you do have a shield on a limited meter that can absorb any incoming shots and fires out a blast when you release the button. This ability only recharges after you die or when you collect Energy tanks.

Once your attack is maxed out, the Power cubes turn into red-orange blocks that drop under the same rules. Ideally, you paint the target with your Pierce and kill the enemy at the last moment with your Shot. This game rewards good timing and good knowledge of the enemy's health threshholds. Anyway, the red-orange blocks are worth points but they also add to a tally. Once the red-orange block tally is full, enemies will drop rare Energy tanks (see above) for a limited time to replenish your shield. Then the red-orange block tally starts again. Dying forces you to re-collect Power blocks again to level up your shot to max.

So even though the scoring is simple, it provides players the tools to shield when caught in bad spots and to replenish those shields with good combo streaks. In the two "prequels", players could replenish their kekusei meter in a similar way by gathering green gems.

Graphics and animations are all rendered in gorgeous sprites. The setting is pretty unique (think Akira). The gameplay isn't quite the frantic bullet-hell insanity of CAVE's later games but it's still tough.

(not me playing; well-known European player in the shmup community)

I haven't used it yet but there's a similar challenge replay mode (like in M2's port of Ketsui) where your deaths in Arcade mode are automatically snapshot'd and added to a challenge mode, where you can attempt that specific segment multiple times until you pass it (the game rewards you for doing so). Normally, shmup players do this anyway using save states or a game's practice mode (both of which are included here) so it's cool to see proper practice techniques incentivized in such a way.

I highly recommend the purchase to serious players or serious aspirants who hope to learn the ins and outs of the game through practice, but not really anyone else. This is a luxury version of a niche title so $65 is a tall asking price if you aren't going to get your value out of it.

Last edited:

Nixonomics

I've been welcoming in the new year with some ESP Rade too. Love the new Drive Waves 2019 soundtrack. Those heavy gabber kicks during the High School boss' music :chefskiss:.
I've been practicing with JB-5th. I find their mix of spread and linear powershot the easiest to chain with - but honestly i just love starting in the shopping mall. The music gets me pumped. Currently falling apart at the 3rd level boss and on. So glad we've got M2 bringing these to home consoles with such loving attention to detail.

So that's finally out. Cool. I still wanna pick up an ESPrade board at some point. Never actually played the game, but it's got my favorite aesthetic of any Cave game.

Not only does it have a great aesthetic but it has some incredible animations as well. Love the transition from powershot to normal shot.

Probably not a common choice of SHMUP, especially since the creator of it died and the mobile version got pulled from the App Store a while ago...but back when it was on the App store and I had it on my iPhone, I played alot of Warblade. It seems heavily inspired by Galaga, as it has similar graphics and gameplay. I configured the game so you can turn left and right by tilting the phone left and right...what an amazing control scheme that was. I was able to turn in just precise amounts enough to dodge enemy bullets but not crash into more. The main music theme is pretty catchy, and the waves of enemies have unique patterns to them that's essential to memorize in order to get better at scoring higher in the game. Asides from the enemy waves, if you kill a high number of them, there'd be a bonus level with a harder to kill enemy wave. Kill all of them and it'd give a massive score boost. Asides from that there was a meteor level in which you're timed and are challenged to boost through the meteors. Crash into one and you lose, but if you win...massive score boost. There's more to the game that I recall, such as being able to collect or purchase weapon upgrades at the shop using money from the game, etc. On good sessions of the game, I could score above a million points in the high scores. Those were the days! Unfortunately, the only remnant of the game is the PC version, which is pretty much the exact same as that mobile version sans the motion controls....I'll have to re learn my techniques for a controller or joystick to be able to score above a million in that PC version of Warblade

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you like Geometry Wars, look into this. It's around $5.

Not as much variety or modes compared to GW, but if you're itching for smooth twin stickers, check it out.

And yes, you can turn off the annoying voice, and adjust the HUD so you don't see a big shield circle thing around your ship.

Last edited:

Hudo

So, my hype for R-Type Final 2 has prompted me to play R-Type again! But instead of choosing the convenient way of playing R-Type via R-Type Dimensions EX, I've chosen to play it on the Amiga instead. And man, oh man, the title theme is something that immediately stuck with me. Composed by none other than Chris Hülsbeck, so you know it's bound to be good (I think that Turrian 1 and 2 are his best works, though).

Obligatory title theme music:

Then I've begun thinking: What's the best Shmup in terms of its soundtrack? I've been hearing a few people saying "Darius!", while others are declaring "Thunder Force IV!". So, what's GAF's opinion?

So, I listened to some OSTs while I was deep into writing papers and shit and came to this (highly subjective) conclusion:

My 3 most-listened Shmup OSTs (in no order):

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions

Bosconian (Sharp X68000 version). that surprised me quite a bit, tbh, as I have never even heard of this game before. Then I looked at the composers (Yuzo Koshiro!) and thought "Yeah, I am biased, huh?".
Small digression: I actually got into old-school dungeon crawlers (think Wizardry-likes) via the Etrian Odyssey games (Etrian Odyssey III specifically), which I got into because of the OSTs... which are composed by Yuzo Koshiro.

R-Type Leo. I knew that I would probably favour some R-Type OST but I actually didn't anticipate that it would be the R-Type Leo OST. I expected it to be the OST of the C64 version of R-Type (composed by Chris Huelsbeck)

I actually expected to have some Raizing/8ing title up there (they've got some cool tunes as well), like Dangun Feveron or Armored Police Batrider. But oh well.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Cool hi-score run from one of the regulars in the shmup community:

If you love Galaga but you haven't played '88, what are you doing with your life?! Better graphics, more enemies and enemy patterns, the "capture ship" trick can be used to upgrade your ship even further, enemies combine into bigger enemies, etc etc etc

I watched this whole thing because it was better than anything on Netflix. What a legendary library. How I dearly wish Sega had management with more vision everywhere back in the day, but especially in the states. I also wish Western 90s gamers weren't dupes easily impressed by shitty 3D. So much greatness was lost until the indie scene essentially saved gaming from itself.

THREAD CONTRIBUTION: I've been playing R-Type Dimensions EX on Switch lately, and it is essentially a perfect game. Like I keep trying to think of something I would change about it but I can't (aside from maybe including the epic intro music from the Amiga version which deserves to be canonical). It takes a true classic which has aged really well, jacks up everything about it and adds widescreen which makes plenty of tight corners in the game play in a way that feels like they should have from the beginning, rather than compromising the design. A genuine masterwork imo.

So, my hype for R-Type Final 2 has prompted me to play R-Type again! But instead of choosing the convenient way of playing R-Type via R-Type Dimensions EX, I've chosen to play it on the Amiga instead. And man, oh man, the title theme is something that immediately stuck with me. Composed by none other than Chris Hülsbeck, so you know it's bound to be good (I think that Turrian 1 and 2 are his best works, though).

Obligatory title theme music:

Whoah, beaten on this deep but epic cut.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

M2's very own shmup. There was footage at the expo but that is not yet available online.

Not gonna judge based on a few screenshots but it is encouraging to see M2's team putting more stuff out there.

Appears to be 4-player.

EDIT: several more screenshots here.

ss3.png

ss5.png

ss8.png

ss6.png

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles coming to PC/PS4 this year.

Via Gematsu

Developed by Qute. Ginga Force is a vertical scroller (Raiden, Dodonpachi) and Natsuki Chronicles is horizontal (R-Type, Gradius).

I'm in for both, as they both have a solid reputation within the shmup community.

Nixonomics

If you're playing The Adventures of Ten and Till and wants to use a stick or a controller instead of the keyboard you can go into the games installation folder and run pad_config.exe to map the buttons how you'd like.

Nixonomics

ESP Rade Psi recently got an update that added in a new proper TLB that replaces Alice if you meet the requirements (2-miss or less clear). Looks to be a worthy TLB compared to the somewhat underwhelming previous Alice fight. Once again, praise be to M2 for not only bringing us these incredible ports but also continuing to update them after release based on community feedback.

Video from Jaimers showing off the new fight:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
ESP Rade Psi recently got an update that added in a new proper TLB that replaces Alice if you meet the requirements (2-miss or less clear). Looks to be a worthy TLB compared to the somewhat underwhelming previous Alice fight. Once again, praise be to M2 for not only bringing us these incredible ports but also continuing to update them after release based on community feedback.

Video from Jaimers showing off the new fight:

Ahhh M2 is so legit. :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

The Alice fight looks tough, to put it lightly, especially that third phase.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Jet Lancer is out and it's pretty good. Reminds me of Time Pilot for some reason.

Looks great. I saw this trailer a bit ago and definitely wanted to keep an eye on the game. Reminds me of that Devolver Digital Luftrausers game on Vita. Glad that it's finally out!

Top Bottom