• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

Soodanim

I have no business playing these games, but as someone with a passing curiosity I’m taking my opportunity to ask:

Is vertical gaming still a thing? Not old arcade games, I mean new releases. This seems like the most likely genre to find anything related to that. Do these games support resolutions like 1080x1920 on PC?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have no business playing these games, but someone with a passing curiosity, I’m taking my opportunity to ask:

Is vertical gaming still a thing? Not old arcade games, I mean new releases. This seems like the most likely genre to find anything related to that. Do these games support resolutions like 1080x1920 on PC?
Some new releases support it, yeah, if it's a vertical shooter. Some recent ones that come to mind are Danmaku Unlimited 3, Ghost Blade HD, ZeroRanger, and Psyvariar Delta.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Anyone trying to 1cc anything or otherwise focusing time on any specific shmups lately?

Played some Devil Engine last night and got a bit further. That burst ability is really useful, it goes without saying. I'm also plugging through the original R-Type. Somehow the graphics have held up perfectly after 35+ years.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've been playing Neo Geo stuff lately, and finally gave Blazing Star a shot. The game seems like it'd be fairly easy to 1cc (by shmup standards, anyway), but yeah. Pretty fun game. I don't like the aesthetic as much as Pulstar (which I still need to buy), though. Still went back to Neo Turf Masters before long.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've been playing Neo Geo stuff lately, and finally gave Blazing Star a shot. The game seems like it'd be fairly easy to 1cc (by shmup standards, anyway), but yeah. Pretty fun game. I don't like the aesthetic as much as Pulstar (which I still need to buy), though. Still went back to Neo Turf Masters before long.
I mean.... hard to blame you there 🤷‍♀️

I've never tried Pulstar. I like Blazing Star even though the graphics remind me of claymation / Mortal Kombat "realism". I love the charge shot and how your power meter goes up. Lots of fun ways to score, too (like collecting all the letters in a stage). To me it strikes the perfect balance between hardcore shmup and a goofy arcade romp.

Danny Dudekisser

I mean.... hard to blame you there 🤷‍♀️

I've never tried Pulstar. I like Blazing Star even though the graphics remind me of claymation / Mortal Kombat "realism". I love the charge shot and how your power meter goes up. Lots of fun ways to score, too (like collecting all the letters in a stage). To me it strikes the perfect balance between hardcore shmup and a goofy arcade romp.

Yeah, that claymation sorta look always drives me a little crazy. Was never a big fan of that. Pulstar just looks so much cleaner.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Any suggestions for android/ios shmups?
For ones that I've personally played, I enjoyed Bullet Hell Monday, Danmaku Unlimited 3, and AKA to Blue.

I'm not sure how many of them are still playable / available for purchase, but CAVE has some of their games on mobile. Try any of the Dodonpachi mobile ports if they're available. The touch controls are really nice (and make the games a lot easier).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is there a list of differences anywhere between this release and the 360 version of Ginga Force?
Resolution / detail is better on the PS4 version and chapter select is available from the start, which is nice for those who wanna practice for a 1cc. Otherwise I believe it is the same game.

Regarding R-Type Final 2, the team did release a development update on the game's website in June; there was a related Kickstarter post, but it primarily linked to the website (link to update).

The June update mostly concerns an upcoming campaign-backers demo; it also mentions a scheduled update for July.

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
It's been a long time coming, but it looks like Crimzon Clover may finally get a console release.

IZNNDR2.jpg

Limited physical print run would be nice, but my non-PC gaming ass will take what I can get.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's been a long time coming, but it looks like Crimzon Clover may finally get a console release.

IZNNDR2.jpg

Limited physical print run would be nice, but my non-PC gaming ass will take what I can get.
Switch lag tho :messenger_confounded:

This would be nice. I'd pick it up as long as the controls were good.

tbh it deserves the M2 treatment but it'll never happen.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Yeah I'd prefer a PS4 port as well. Hopefully we'll get an official announcement soon.

EX could mean anything... arrange mode, new ship, remixed soundtrack, art gallery, etc. Could even be a silly widescreen mode that nobody asked for. (*cough* Under Defeat HD)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's nice to see the Samurai Aces and Strikers series on Steam now, and it looks like Dragon Blaze is coming there next week. Getting to be a ton of formal releases on the platform. I really wish the rest of Cave's library would release there.

Holammer

東方催狐譚 (Touhou Tale of a Fox Banquet)~ Servants of Harvest Wish.
The game is a Touhou based fan game and is already available for download, but they actually forked over the 100$ publishing fee and released it for free on Steam. So it's super convenient if you want to give it a try. There's some really colorful & fancy danmaku patterns and outstanding music by DJ Abner.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

IkarugaPS4_1024x.png

Guessing that Nicalis is offering a jacked-up special edition while retailers get the normal one for $30-40 (play-asia, for instance, has both version w no pricepoint yet)

Danny Dudekisser

Cross-posting my relevant pick-ups from the pick-ups thread, because I am absolutely prosecuting to the full extent of the JAM today:

The weak shit:

vuNjRvC.png

Which is this game:

Vr7YWW0.png

The REAL shit:

TRYPwHX.png

People always seem to white out the serial number, so I did it too to try and fit in.

The game is:

0ROsfpv.png

And lastly, the extremely real shit:

TjAf3Sc.png

Which does this when you turn it on:

wrswfaq.png

Danny Dudekisser

Those are all beautiful gets Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser

Have they been on the list for you for awhile? Or did you just sell some Tesla stock and then splurge? ;)

Lol, they've been on the list for a looong time. Armed Police Batrider is one I've wanted for the better part of a decade. I'm basically just at a point of "eh, why not?" with this stuff. Like, I'm always going to want these games, and I can do it, so ain't no reason to keep sitting on the fence.

I've got a feeling I'll be buying an EXA Arcadia by the end of the year, too. If SDOJ EXA Label comes out this year, that'll be the trigger... but Strania EX already has me tempted.

Shmups are a horrible habit.

Danny Dudekisser

Looks like I am buying an EXA Arcadia this year

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou EXA Label. Has 4 modes, including the original. Uses the HD visuals from the 360 version (backgrounds might be improved from that), but has low latency (a huge issue on the 360 port) and presumably way better sound quality than the original arcade release. Location tests start next week.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Looks like I am buying an EXA Arcadia this year

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou EXA Label. Has 4 modes, including the original. Uses the HD visuals from the 360 version (backgrounds might be improved from that), but has low latency (a huge issue on the 360 port) and presumably way better sound quality than the original arcade release. Location tests start next week.

I heard some news about this. Happy that they're finally bringing out a reworked port of Saidaioujou. I have the 360 port and the latency isn't as much of an issue as the lack of proper slowdown. It is the MAME/Arch emulated versions that still have input lag issues, iirc.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I thought SDOJ wasn't emulated yet?
Pretty sure they've at least been trying via the 360 emulator but lag is the issue there, if not working on an emulated arcade ROM.

In either case, a proper port is music to my ears. Hopefully it does really well. I'm rootin' for EXA Arcadia brand!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Three bits of news:

Ginga Force port on PC and PS4 comes out Sept 24th.

Tomorrow m2 Shottriggers will announce some stuff. HYPED!

Rangok Skies launches later this year for Switch, PC, and PS4.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They showed off the new Aleste Branch. Some screengrabs. The game very much resembles Battle Garegga in visual theme, bullet patterns, and pace.

IT5QvkX.png
feMEt8b.png
oDZOXwD.png

Wonko_C

I finally got my copy of Ketsui Deathtiny earlier this week. And it seems to have received a new patch today. Have the trophies always been in English? I swear they were in Japanese earlier this week.

Also menus use the western button layout for confirm and cancel now, pretty sure it's in preparation for the western release. Hopefully it means the import version will receive English localization too.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I finally got my copy of Ketsui Deathtiny earlier this week. And it seems to have received a new patch today. Have the trophies always been in English? I swear they were in Japanese earlier this week.

Also menus use the western button layout for confirm and cancel now, pretty sure it's in preparation for the western release. Hopefully it means the import version will receive English localization too.
I noticed a patch dropped but I had no idea what it was for. Hope you're right!

Top Bottom